Backend updates

Backend updates
I've been doing a lot of tinkering with the main site templates recently. Mostly to streamline the HTML and sync the templates between the Main site and Parts Tracker better (Right now if I want to make a change across the PT and Main site I have to edit like 4 or 5 different files, I'd like to to be one or maybe two). 

If something looks broken, it probably is. Check again a little bit later and if it's still not fixed, post here to let me know.
RE: Backend updates
(2020-07-29, 17:02)Orion Pobursky Wrote: I've been doing a lot of tinkering with the main site templates recently. Mostly to streamline the HTML and sync the templates between the Main site and Parts Tracker better (Right now if I want to make a change across the PT and Main site I have to edit like 4 or 5 different files, I'd like to to be one or maybe two). 

If something looks broken, it probably is. Check again a little bit later and if it's still not fixed, post here to let me know.

I just shifted the entire PT over to new markup (headers and footers, the content areas stayed the same). Nothing super noticeable, just streamlining the code a bit and making it easier for me to sync code between the main site and the PT. I did get one quirk where I temporarily broke the images on the PrimRef. I checked everything else and it seems fine.
Did you move the buttons?
I keep hitting the wrong one. I hit the Parts List instead of Activity.

And that bar of buttons is gone on my android mobile screen. All I see is the Home button. And nothing happens when I hit it.
(2020-07-30, 12:25)Magnus Forsberg Wrote: Did you move the buttons?
I keep hitting the wrong one. I hit the Parts List instead of Activity.

And that bar of buttons is gone on my android mobile screen. All I see is the Home button. And nothing happens when I hit it.

I added the Home button.

On mobile you should have something like looks like this:

If not, that's a problem. I'll need to know your browser version and OS version.
(2020-07-30, 13:27)Orion Pobursky Wrote: I added the Home button.

Why? Never missed it.

(2020-07-30, 13:27)Orion Pobursky Wrote: On mobile you should have something like looks like this:

Yes, it looks like that. The button say Menu, but nothing happens when I click on it.
I use Chrome 83 on Android 9. Is that enough?
(2020-07-30, 13:49)Magnus Forsberg Wrote: Why? Never missed it.

Yes, it looks like that. The button say Menu, but nothing happens when I click on it.

The home button, in my mind, better syncs with the design philosophy of the site  It's fairly trivial to remove it enough people are annoyed by it. 

I just remembered that I had to add the code for this to the pt.js file. Try doing a hard refresh (which I'm not sure how to do on Chrome Android but prolly can be Googled)
(2020-07-29, 17:02)Orion Pobursky Wrote: I've been doing a lot of tinkering with the main site templates recently. Mostly to streamline the HTML and sync the templates between the Main site and Parts Tracker better (Right now if I want to make a change across the PT and Main site I have to edit like 4 or 5 different files, I'd like to to be one or maybe two). 

This appears to have broken the formatting of the Parts Tracker History. I have fixed it, but have been thinking for a while that we should switch the axes on this to have time vertical, rather than it generating a wider and wider page forever. Maybe this is the prompt to do that.
Chris (LDraw Parts Library Admin)
(2020-08-02, 5:58)Chris Dee Wrote: This appears to have broken the formatting of the Parts Tracker History. I have fixed it, but have been thinking for a while that we should switch the axes on this to have time vertical, rather than it generating a wider and wider page forever. Maybe this is the prompt to do that.

That's odd. I checked that page. This means the error was probably there before the change since I only changed the header and footer HTML.
I do like you suggestion to switch axises though.
(2020-08-03, 1:01)Orion Pobursky Wrote: That's odd. I checked that page. This means the error was probably there before the change since I only changed the header and footer HTML.
I do like you suggestion to switch axises though.

How is this for starters? https://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/pthist3.cgi
(2020-08-03, 9:57)Chris Dee Wrote: How is this for starters? https://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/pthist3.cgi

I like it. I think I'd have the graph container have a fixed size with a scroll bar but I'm ok with the way it is now.
(2020-08-03, 9:57)Chris Dee Wrote: How is this for starters? https://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/pthist3.cgi

Wow, I wonder what happened on 2010-01-11? :-D
(2020-08-03, 17:14)N. W. Perry Wrote: Wow, I wonder what happened on 2010-01-11? :-D

Something in the regular dependency rebuild must have failed at the point the daily stats were gathered. These things happen!
(2020-08-03, 16:34)Orion Pobursky Wrote: I like it. I think I'd have the graph container have a fixed size with a scroll bar but I'm ok with the way it is now.

Thanks. It gets a scroll bar automatically if you request fewer files per pixel. The default is a good compromise with the current number of files.

There is still some inline CSS styling that I need to move to the stylesheet, once it is finalised.
(2020-08-03, 21:01)Chris Dee Wrote: Something in the regular dependency rebuild must have failed at the point the daily stats were gathered. These things happen!

Ah, I was picturing a massive and successful subfile-certifying campaign perhaps! Smile
(2020-07-30, 13:49)Magnus Forsberg Wrote: ...

I may have an insight on something relating to this. it appears there are two domains with different results:

ldraw.org and www.ldraw.org

With www.ldraw.org the menu button works, when using the plain domain ldraw.org the menu button does not work.

Similarly there are effects on other sections of the site, although I only checked the Parts Tracker main page (the menu button works on both here):

I used Firefox 68.11.0 on Android to check the site from my smartphone. On PC there appear to be no visible difference.

As an additional note, the bookmark I made on the website has ldraw.org I can update my bookmarks, but for the average user that wouldn't know, consider a server permanent redirect 301 using the ".htaccess" file, if that is possible in your setup.
(2020-08-13, 17:50)Leonardo Gonzalez Wrote: I may have an insight on something relating to this. it appears there are two domains with different results:

ldraw.org and www.ldraw.org

With www.ldraw.org the menu button works, when using the plain domain ldraw.org the menu button does not work.

Similarly there are effects on other sections of the site, although I only checked the Parts Tracker main page (the menu button works on both here):

I used Firefox 68.11.0 on Android to check the site from my smartphone. On PC there appear to be no visible difference.

As an additional note, the bookmark I made on the website has ldraw.org I can update my bookmarks, but for the average user that wouldn't know, consider a server permanent redirect 301 using the ".htaccess" file, if that is possible in your setup.

www.ldraw.org and ldraw.org both point to the same place. The differences you're seeing are most likely stale cached versions of the pages.
(2020-08-13, 17:55)Orion Pobursky Wrote: www.ldraw.org and ldraw.org both point to the same place. The differences you're seeing are most likely stale cached versions of the pages.

Understood, I will do a cleanup on my phone and wait a few days before testing again.
(2020-08-13, 18:03)Leonardo Gonzalez Wrote: Understood, I will do a cleanup on my phone and wait a few days before testing again.

Phone OSs tend to aggressively cache webpages to, in part, reduce data usage. Since the website html only updates once in a while Im not sure this needs "fixing" by manually specifying a cache time. On iOS you can force reload cached objects by requesting the "desktop site".
(2020-08-13, 18:08)Orion Pobursky Wrote: Phone OSs tend to aggressively cache webpages to, in part, reduce data usage. Since the website html only updates once in a while Im not sure this needs "fixing" by manually specifying a cache time. On iOS you can force reload cached objects by requesting the "desktop site".

Firefox on Android does have the "Request Desktop Site" option, it did updated to the newer version.

I would agree that cache time on a static page like a home page is pointless, but when making UI or aesthetic changes it is always good to force cache to update at least for a week. That's what I did in the place I worked at, but it is only a suggestion.

Regarding the redirect, the site should have a single domain identity, it is ok to keep both and redirect to one agreed upon when the other is typed in. I don't know what kind of weirdness two addresses can generate on the site SEO. Thoughts?

Any more comments or opinions on this?
(2020-08-13, 20:49)Chris Dee Wrote: Any more comments or opinions on this?

I think having the date on the vertical axis is a good improvement. Likewise having it ordered from most recently to least recently. I like it!

David

Nothing else from me. Looks good.
(2020-08-14, 0:55)Orion Pobursky Wrote: Nothing else from me. Looks good.
Looks good to me too. I'd appreciate the possibility to zoom out to better see on a tiny phone, but probably not worth the trouble...
(2020-08-14, 0:55)Orion Pobursky Wrote: Nothing else from me. Looks good.

Thanks - that has been implemented now.
(2020-08-15, 7:25)Chris Dee Wrote: Thanks - that has been implemented now.

Is this intended? It looked different before when I tried it.

(2020-08-15, 16:17)Leonardo Gonzalez Wrote: Is this intended? It looked different before when I tried it.
What browser / OS are you using?

I moved some inline styling to the stylesheet. It looks like you are still picking up a cached version of the stylesheet. Does it look OK after CTRL+F5?

It still looks correct this for me.
(2020-08-15, 16:48)Chris Dee Wrote: What browser / OS are you using?

Firefox 79.0 (64-bit) / Windows 7 Ultimate SP1

Incidentally, it appears to have fixed itself, so you can ignore me. I checked again once I saw your post, I must have a gremlin in my machine. Big Grin
I just did a whole bunch of housekeeping by pruning old template. As always, if it looks broken it probably is so let me know.

I like the new vertical presentation but I think it would be even better if the bars after the dates could be left-aligned.
(2020-08-25, 7:14)Vincent Messenet Wrote: I like the new vertical presentation but I think it would be even better if the bars after the dates could be left-aligned.

They should be left aligned!

Please post or PM me a screenshot. What browser / device are you using?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »