Complete Tile 1x2 "Fabulous Las Vegas" pattern?

Tile 1x2 "Fabulous Las Vegas" pattern?
Just before I get started myself, is anybody already working on the "Fabulous Las Vegas" sign pattern from Architecture set 21038/21047?
https://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemPic...3069bpb669

And, any good straight-on photos of the part, other than the BL one above, and this one from Brickset—?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/brickset/2...ateposted/
RE: Tile 1x2 "Fabulous Las Vegas" pattern?
I had it planned but never started. You can go ahead. I have other parts I’m working on. Here’s my scan:

.jpg   vegas.jpg (Size: 37.9 KB / Downloads: 48)
(2020-05-13, 19:16)Orion Pobursky Wrote: I had it planned but never started. You can go ahead. I have other parts I’m working on. Here’s my scan:

Cool, thanks! Now I guess my next task is to decide how much to replicate the blotty-ness of the print…Wikimedia Commons has a very clean vector of the sign, but I'll have to thicken up those strokes and eliminate most of the negative spaces. Rolleyes

(It's going to be only a texmap version for now, so no help just yet for OMR purposes.)
(2020-05-14, 0:35)N. W. Perry Wrote: Cool, thanks! Now I guess my next task is to decide how much to replicate the blotty-ness of the print…Wikimedia Commons has a very clean vector of the sign, but I'll have to thicken up those strokes and eliminate most of the negative spaces. Rolleyes

(It's going to be only a texmap version for now, so no help just yet for OMR purposes.)

This pattern is prolly perfect for using Rolf's img4dat.
(2020-05-14, 1:47)Orion Pobursky Wrote: This pattern is prolly perfect for using Rolf's img4dat.

I will see whether I can get it working on my system; that's usually what holds me up. I can run most Windows programs under Wine, but sometimes I'm hindered by some fundamental but insurmountable difference.

This looks like it may work, though, especially once I have a clean vector image created. If not, of course anyone would be welcome to do the conversion if they have img4dat running smoothly.
(2020-05-14, 2:29)N. W. Perry Wrote: I will see whether I can get it working on my system; that's usually what holds me up. I can run most Windows programs under Wine, but sometimes I'm hindered by some fundamental but insurmountable difference.

This looks like it may work, though, especially once I have a clean vector image created. If not, of course anyone would be welcome to do the conversion if they have img4dat running smoothly.

I wouldn't bother. I just tried with my scan and results were unsatisfying.
(2020-05-14, 2:39)Orion Pobursky Wrote: I wouldn't bother. I just tried with my scan and results were unsatisfying.

I actually just got a good mesh from one of my other parts, but the program crashed while I was trying to figure out how to size the image to the template. Tongue We'll see!
(2020-05-14, 2:29)N. W. Perry Wrote: I will see whether I can get it working on my system; that's usually what holds me up. I can run most Windows programs under Wine, but sometimes I'm hindered by some fundamental but insurmountable difference.

I'm on Mac as well and run img4dat without any issue but I'm using Parallel. I never tried Wine so far.
I can also provide you the outcome if you send the image
(2020-05-14, 6:51)Vincent Messenet Wrote: I'm on Mac as well and run img4dat without any issue but I'm using Parallel. I never tried Wine so far.
I can also provide you the outcome if you send the image

I am going to try it now, since I discovered/remembered that texmap does not always work with transparency, and this part comes in trans-clear. Just gotta whip up a quick template!
(2020-05-14, 14:51)N. W. Perry Wrote: I am going to try it now, since I discovered/remembered that texmap does not always work with transparency, and this part comes in trans-clear. Just gotta whip up a quick template!

I might be able to get a better picture with my camera, tripod, and flash. The scan has weird shadows due to the trans clear nature of the part.
(2020-05-14, 15:49)Orion Pobursky Wrote: I might be able to get a better picture with my camera, tripod, and flash. The scan has weird shadows due to the trans clear nature of the part.

I think I'm in good shape, since I was able to find a good source vector:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:...s_sign.svg

If anything, I could use a better sense of where the black printing is "supposed" to go (in my source photo, it's clearly offset from the matching gaps in the gold layer).

Here is my best guess so far:

(2020-05-14, 17:26)N. W. Perry Wrote: I think I'm in good shape, since I was able to find a good source vector:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:...s_sign.svg

If anything, I could use a better sense of where the black printing is "supposed" to go (in my source photo, it's clearly offset from the matching gaps in the gold layer).

Here is my best guess so far:

I would say this pattern is perfect. The offsets you speak of are artifacts of the printing process. The letters should be centered in the white circles.
Clean-up was fairly quick with img4dat; it all depends on how fiddly you want to get, of course.

Texmapp'd and fallback'd version below; thoughts welcome. (Pattern code pending.)

.dat   3069bpb669.dat (Size: 97.72 KB / Downloads: 4)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(2020-05-14, 20:20)N. W. Perry Wrote: Clean-up was fairly quick with img4dat; it all depends on how fiddly you want to get, of course.

Texmapp'd and fallback'd version below; thoughts welcome. (Pattern code pending.)

I think that you should just get rid of the TEXMAP.

A couple of reasons:
- The gold ink doesn't show correctly with the TEXMAP image (primary reason)
- This pattern isn't complicated enough to warrant a TEXMAP
(2020-05-14, 20:33)Orion Pobursky Wrote: I think that you should just get rid of the TEXMAP.

A couple of reasons:
- The gold ink doesn't show correctly with the TEXMAP image (primary reason)
- This pattern isn't complicated enough to warrant a TEXMAP

I can think of two more reasons:
  • It doesn't work in LDCad on the transparent tile
  • It doesn't work in Studio either, so it's either use the fallback or generate a custom part just for rendering
Also, should I try to optimize these triangles to quads? What's the simplest tool for that these days?
(2020-05-14, 20:58)N. W. Perry Wrote: Also, should I try to optimize these triangles to quads? What's the simplest tool for that these days?

DATHeader.
(2020-05-14, 20:58)N. W. Perry Wrote: I can think of two more reasons:
  • It doesn't work in LDCad on the transparent tile
  • It doesn't work in Studio either, so it's either use the fallback or generate a custom part just for rendering
Also, should I try to optimize these triangles to quads? What's the simplest tool for that these days?
Nice!
I agree with Orion the TEXMAP version is not necessary especially as your pattern is good enough.
(2020-05-15, 6:27)Vincent Messenet Wrote: Nice!
I agree with Orion the TEXMAP version is not necessary especially as your pattern is good enough.

Thanks! I've removed the texmap and optimized the file. There's one set of collinear vertices (actually just a super-skinny triangle) that I may be able to fix, but otherwise no errors are presented.

[attachment=5241]
Thanks again for the suggestions. The file is now on PT:
https://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.c...69bpt7.dat
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »