Minifig Head patten preferred practice

Minifig Head patten preferred practice
What's the current preferred practice for minifg head patterns?
1. Head on shot, make the pattern, and then project it using Philo's tool
2. Try to "unfold" the pattern, make it, and then "refold" it to the head subfile
RE: Minifig Head patten preferred practice
(2020-04-21, 16:49)Orion Pobursky Wrote: What's the current preferred practice for minifg head patterns?
1. Head on shot, make the pattern, and then project it using Philo's tool
2. Try to "unfold" the pattern, make it, and then "refold" it to the head subfile

It really depends how wide it is:

4 faces - no problem. Use LDPC with the head as template (I use a custom head with only the 8 extern faces - stud included) and project.
6 faces - critical. Still doable in LDPC but you have to somehow correct the distortion or you'll end with something like this: https://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.c...26bp55.dat (check the right headphone)
8 faces - in addition to the front projection shot 2 photos at 45 degrees for the 4 faces on the right/left and combine the projections in LDPE

w.
LEGO ergo sum
RE: Minifig Head patten preferred practice
I do it the same way as Willy describes.

4- partially 6 Segments, just use a straight mug-shot, a LPDC Template an may be even some Eyes and Mouth "primiteves" in LDPC to draft them.

6 to 8 Segment you need to align the patterns then in LDPC.

To get uniform shots I built a tripod for my phone that positions the head a the exact same position and I took more than 400 pictures of the various faces. (Who wants to pic ups some  Big Grin ) I did about 60 of them. So I can use the same LDPC Template for all of them.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »