Windows 10 and "open with" for LDraw user

Windows 10 and "open with" for LDraw user
Looking for some tips...
I recently updated my trusty but ageing Windows 7 to Windows 10 on my main machine. Overall, the update went fine (eg. I can now use latest versions of LPub3D!), but the right click+"open with" is now mostly useless for me.
For .dat part files, I set the default to LDDP, that works fine, but previously right click + "open with" allowed me to open .dat directly with LDView, LDPE, MLCad, or LETGUI. Now it only offers LETGUI and (useless) Seamonkey browser.
Similar problem for .ldr or .mpd model files, my default application is LDCad and I can "open" with MLCad and (useless) Seamonkey or LETGUI, while I'd like to be able to open directly with LDView, LDDP or LeoCAD.

I tried many things, such as changing default app to other desired programs and back, hoping that Win10 would learn from that, to no avail...
RE: Windows 10 and "open with" for LDraw user
(2020-02-10, 16:40)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: Looking for some tips...
I recently updated my trusty but ageing Windows 7 to Windows 10 on my main machine. Overall, the update went fine (eg. I can now use latest versions of LPub3D!), but the right click+"open with" is now mostly useless for me.
For .dat part files, I set the default to LDDP, that works fine, but previously right click + "open with" allowed me to open .dat directly with LDView, LDPE, MLCad, or LETGUI. Now it only offers LETGUI and (useless) Seamonkey browser.
Similar problem for .ldr or .mpd model files, my default application is LDCad and I can "open" with MLCad and (useless) Seamonkey or LETGUI, while I'd like to be able to open directly with LDView, LDDP or LeoCAD.

I tried many things, such as changing default app to other desired programs and back, hoping that Win10 would learn from that, to no avail...

Annoying yes. If you click "Choose another program" it'll give a list of the programs you have previously selected (or the option to find something else).
(2020-02-10, 16:46)Orion Pobursky Wrote: Annoying yes. If you click "Choose another program" it'll give a list of the programs you have previously selected (or the option to find something else).
Yes that works, but it's a two level click + (often) scroll... not the most efficient. What bugs me is that it worked fine with Win7 prior to system update.
(2020-02-10, 16:55)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: Yes that works, but it's a two level click + (often) scroll... not the most efficient. What bugs me is that it worked fine with Win7 prior to system update.

I'm annoyed by it too. I'll poke around to see if I can find a fix.
LOL, is this a recent thing? I only noticed the problem this week as well.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »