LeoCAD 3DS export

LeoCAD 3DS export
I have been happily converting small and medium-sized models to 3DS using LeoCAD, and then viewing them in MeshLab. However, the large models I have tried to load have caused MeshLab to spawn an "Opening Failure" error and not load the models. Here is a model:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/r3d0ry3lu7...180314.zip

I don't know if it's a problem with LeoCAD or MeshLab, but assume it's the latter. Here is the mailing list thread I created on this topic:

https://sourceforge.net/p/meshlab/discus.../9d7dbc6e/

Hopefully I get a response. Do any of you know of other free programs beside MeshLab I can use to verify the model is not broken somehow? Thanks.
RE: LeoCAD 3DS export
Have you tried exporting COLLADA?
(2018-03-15, 21:44)Leonardo Zide Wrote: Have you tried exporting COLLADA?

I just tried it, and the output is very broken when viewed in MeshLab.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(2018-03-15, 23:19)Michael Horvath Wrote:
(2018-03-15, 21:44)Leonardo Zide Wrote: Have you tried exporting COLLADA?

I just tried it, and the output is very broken when viewed in MeshLab.

I think this is the MeshLab importer, I see a lot of errors in the console that show it's not parsing the file correctly. You can try exporting a 1x1 brick and filing a bug with them.
(2018-03-16, 19:21)Leonardo Zide Wrote:
(2018-03-15, 23:19)Michael Horvath Wrote: I just tried it, and the output is very broken when viewed in MeshLab.

I think this is the MeshLab importer, I see a lot of errors in the console that show it's not parsing the file correctly. You can try exporting a 1x1 brick and filing a bug with them.

I left a note, here:

https://sourceforge.net/p/meshlab/discus.../c30509ab/

I don't think that board is heavily monitored, however. The most recent "closed" support ticket is dated 2014.
I noticed in a render I made, that your 3DS output does not seem to have surface normals. So, you end up seeing every triangle instead of a smooth surface. On the other hand, when using the LDR Importer, the model looks very smooth.

Is this a limitation of the 3DS model format? Does the Collada format not suffer from this?
(2018-03-18, 7:49)Michael Horvath Wrote: I noticed in a render I made, that your 3DS output does not seem to have surface normals. So, you end up seeing every triangle instead of a smooth surface. On the other hand, when using the LDR Importer, the model looks very smooth.

Is this a limitation of the 3DS model format? Does the Collada format not suffer from this?

3DS doesn't have normals.

Collada has normals.
(2018-03-19, 21:46)Leonardo Zide Wrote:
(2018-03-18, 7:49)Michael Horvath Wrote: I noticed in a render I made, that your 3DS output does not seem to have surface normals. So, you end up seeing every triangle instead of a smooth surface. On the other hand, when using the LDR Importer, the model looks very smooth.

3DS doesn't have normals.

Collada has normals.

Thanks. The surfaces are now much smoother. But the transparent parts aren't transparent.

[Image: iw536YK.png]

Is this fixable?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »