In Need For Some Aliens!

In Need For Some Aliens!
Hello everyone, I am new to the site, so forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong category or something. 

Anyways, I'm going straight to the subject. I use the LDraw files to import bricks into Blender and it's a great asset! I use it almost everyday. However, there are pieces missing that I need desperately for a project. I know modeling takes time, so please know I do NOT have a deadline. I have just been looking through the internet inside out for these two parts with no avail, and its really frustrating. I even contacted the Lego Group, but they were unwilling to help, which is understandable. Anyways, before I blabber on, the two parts I need, are part of the Mars Mission sub-space theme. The theme was released in 2007 and in 2008 they came out with a really cool addition; the alien commander. I have attachments of the pieces on this thread. The IDs of the parts are: 62723, and 62724. I have not found them ANYWHERE, including LDD. (Lego Digital Designer). I know you need pics of the bricks in all different directions, so to make it easier, I have done pictures of my own. Just reply to the thread if you are willing to add these bricks. They are complex, but I'm sure one of you can do it! 

Thank you,
Isaiah

Attached Files
.jpg   Commander2.jpg (Size: 3.68 KB / Downloads: 105)
.jpg   Commander1.jpg (Size: 5.47 KB / Downloads: 105)
RE: In Need For Some Aliens!
(2017-11-01, 23:55)Isaiah Wrote: Hello everyone, I am new to the site, so forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong category or something. 

Anyways, I'm going straight to the subject. I use the LDraw files to import bricks into Blender and it's a great asset! I use it almost everyday. However, there are pieces missing that I need desperately for a project. I know modeling takes time, so please know I do NOT have a deadline. I have just been looking through the internet inside out for these two parts with no avail, and its really frustrating. I even contacted the Lego Group, but they were unwilling to help, which is understandable. Anyways, before I blabber on, the two parts I need, are part of the Mars Mission sub-space theme. The theme was released in 2007 and in 2008 they came out with a really cool addition; the alien commander. I have attachments of the pieces on this thread. The IDs of the parts are: 62723, and 62724. I have not found them ANYWHERE, including LDD. (Lego Digital Designer). I know you need pics of the bricks in all different directions, so to make it easier, I have done pictures of my own. Just reply to the thread if you are willing to add these bricks. They are complex, but I'm sure one of you can do it! 

Thank you,
Isaiah

Update: Over 200+ plus views! I hope one of you are considering this. It seems the photos I have are too large. I'll compress them and try again later.
(2017-11-02, 17:05)Isaiah Wrote:
(2017-11-01, 23:55)Isaiah Wrote: Hello everyone, I am new to the site, so forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong category or something. 

Anyways, I'm going straight to the subject. (...) The IDs of the parts are: 62723, and 62724. (...) I know you need pics of the bricks in all different directions, so to make it easier, I have done pictures of my own. (...) I'm sure one of you can do it! 

Thank you,
Isaiah

Update: (...) It seems the photos I have are too large. I'll compress them and try again later.

Here are the pics for the main body:

Back
    Right side
    Angled (Front)
    Left side
    Angled (Back)
    Front
Quote:I have not found them ANYWHERE, including LDD. (Lego Digital Designer). I know you need pics of the bricks in all different directions, so to make it easier, I have done pictures of my own. Just reply to the thread if you are willing to add these bricks. They are complex, but I'm sure one of you can do it!
As you say, these parts are extremely complex, too much to create them from photos only. The only sensible way would be to put them in a 3D scanner, but I don't have them Sad
(2017-11-03, 10:24)Philippe Hurbain Wrote:
Quote:I have not found them ANYWHERE, including LDD. (Lego Digital Designer). I know you need pics of the bricks in all different directions, so to make it easier, I have done pictures of my own. Just reply to the thread if you are willing to add these bricks. They are complex, but I'm sure one of you can do it!
As you say, these parts are extremely complex, too much to create them from photos only. The only sensible way would be to put them in a 3D scanner, but I don't have them Sad

That's quite alright, thank you for responding. Do you know of any way I could use or get a 3d scanner?
Quote:That's quite alright, thank you for responding. Do you know of any way I could use or get a 3d scanner?
A long time ago I bought a license of David laser scanner software at a time when it was relatively cheap... unfortunately the company was bought by HP and now aim professionnal (and expensive!) market... (See http://philohome.com/scan3dlaser/scan3dlaser.htm). So far I have not found another cheap solution able to scan the tiny LEGO parts with enough resolution Sad
(2017-11-03, 18:48)Philippe Hurbain Wrote:
Quote:That's quite alright, thank you for responding. Do you know of any way I could use or get a 3d scanner?
A long time ago I bought a license of David laser scanner software at a time when it was relatively cheap... unfortunately the company was bought by HP and now aim professionnal (and expensive!) market... (See http://philohome.com/scan3dlaser/scan3dlaser.htm). So far I have not found another cheap solution able to scan the tiny LEGO parts with enough resolution Sad

That is expensive. I don't think I will get something like that just for two Lego parts. Would something like this work? (http://www.regard3d.org/index.php/download) It is free, but many tutorials I've seen show it to be reliable. Most of the time anyways.
(2017-11-03, 20:08)Isaiah Wrote: Would something like this work? (http://www.regard3d.org/index.php/download) It is free, but many tutorials I've seen show it to be reliable. Most of the time anyways.

That looks extremely cool, wanted do a test with some old pictures of a stop animation I did years ago but it needs pictures with known focal lengths in their meta Sad
Maybe it can be used... At least it is the first reconstruction from photos package that gave me meaningful results from photos of a LEGO piece. But a LOT of experiment/tuning seems required. For some reasons, the photos I took from the back of the minidoll were not taken into account. I'll try again later with hopefully better photos, the lighting conditions today were really poor.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(2017-11-04, 17:28)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: Maybe it can be used... At least it is the first reconstruction from photos package that gave me meaningful results from photos of a LEGO piece. But a LOT of experiment/tuning seems required. For some reasons, the photos I took from the back of the minidoll were not taken into account. I'll try again later with hopefully better photos, the lighting conditions today were really poor.

I have already began experimenting with it. Its not bad, for something that is free. I do need to practice a bit more and get some lamps or some sort of proper lighting. Thank you for the suggestion, I think I'll be able to get it done. We shall see though.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »