LDD can't convert .lxf to .ldr

LDD can't convert .lxf to .ldr
Hello,

I made a post about this a day or two ago and the replies were very helpful. However, I tried posting again after I thought the problem was resolved, but no reply. So, I thought I'd make this post to help settle the issue.

For some reason (as previously stated), LDD on my PC can't convert .lxf to .ldr, which is very frustrating, since I can't find anyone online with a similar problem  Undecided

I contacted LDD customer support, but they couldn't solve the problem. I also downloaded the Digital-Bricks LDD to LDraw file converter, but that didn't work. (I think it might be outdated). 

Is there any way to troubleshoot this? Are there any sites or programs that can convert .lxf to .ldr?

I don't think posting zip files will be useful since I have about seven LDD project files to export. 

Anyway, thanks in advance for the help   Shy

- Luis
RE: LDD can't convert .lxf to .ldr
buf3d will import .lxf and export .ldr
(2017-03-28, 5:11)Richard Speyer Wrote: buf3d will import .lxf and export .ldr

Is this trustworthy (i.e. have you used this yourself?) I looked at the link, the site looks kinda weird... 
Just being cautious

- Luis
Sorry... better teach fishing than give a fish ;D
Your problem might be that you have no (or bad) mapping file, defining rules to convert LDD parts <-> Ldraw parts. This file, named LDraw.xml, is placed in your LDD program folder (eg. C:\Program Files (x86)\LEGO Company\LEGO Digital Designer). You can get the most up-to-date LDraw.xml here: http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.ph...sion-file/

Otherwise...
- I tried LDD2LDraw converter and indeed it doesn't seem to work. I contacted the author.
- Stud.io https://studio.bricklink.com/v2/build/studio.page can import LDD files and export LDraw ones.
(2017-03-28, 7:09)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: Sorry... better teach fishing than give a fish ;D
Your problem might be that you have no (or bad) mapping file, defining rules to convert LDD parts <-> Ldraw parts. This file, named LDraw.xml, is placed in your LDD program folder (eg. C:\Program Files (x86)\LEGO Company\LEGO Digital Designer). You can get the most up-to-date LDraw.xml here: http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.ph...sion-file/

Otherwise...
- I tried LDD2LDraw converter and indeed it doesn't seem to work. I contacted the author.
- Stud.io https://studio.bricklink.com/v2/build/studio.page can import LDD files and export LDraw ones.
Ok, I'm new at this, so sorry if I'm a bit slow... I looked at the eurobricks link and downloaded the latest version. This took me to a page with a bunch of xml code (I think). I was reading the post, but was confused by the instructions, since nothing actually downloaded on my computer... Is that supposed to happen?
(2017-03-28, 14:26)Luis Wrote: Ok, I'm new at this, so sorry if I'm a bit slow... I looked at the eurobricks link and downloaded the latest version. This took me to a page with a bunch of xml code (I think). I was reading the post, but was confused by the instructions, since nothing actually downloaded on my computer... Is that supposed to happen?
Yes, all browsers do that, and here it's clearly a nuisance... right click on the link, then "save as" and put the result on your desktop. Then move it to you LDD program folder (better not to do this directly as it requires a user authorization to write in Program Files subfolders).
It might be a good idea to add all this info to the wiki page: LDraw_to_LDD_conversion
(2017-03-28, 15:15)Philippe Hurbain Wrote:
(2017-03-28, 14:26)Luis Wrote: Ok, I'm new at this, so sorry if I'm a bit slow... I looked at the eurobricks link and downloaded the latest version. This took me to a page with a bunch of xml code (I think). I was reading the post, but was confused by the instructions, since nothing actually downloaded on my computer... Is that supposed to happen?
Yes, all browsers do that, and here it's clearly a nuisance... right click on the link, then "save as" and put the result on your desktop. Then move it to you LDD program folder (better not to do this directly as it requires a user authorization to write in Program Files subfolders).

Great, thank you! It works now, problems solved Smile
(2017-03-28, 4:44)Luis Wrote: I also downloaded the Digital-Bricks LDD to LDraw file converter, but that didn't work. (I think it might be outdated).

Hey Luis,

yes, the tool is not up to date - but for me it is still working.
Did you get an error message? Or did the tool not even start?

During a test the tool was able to convert the example you posted in the other thread. One bis question is, what ldraw.xml file did you choose? The converter is not so tollerant when there are errors in that xml-file. E.g. in the latest version of the file from eurobricks there is an error in line 3345:

Code:
 <!-- Magnet Holder  2 x  3  2607.dat -->
 <!-- MAGNET HOLDER  2607 -->
 <Transformation ldraw="2607.dat" tx="0" ty="-.96" tz="°" ax="0" ay="1" az="0" angle="3.141593" />

The converter does not accept the value for tz. Due to this he does not convert. When I find the time, I will make him more tolerant...

Rolf
(2017-03-28, 20:31)Rolf Osterthun Wrote: E.g. in the latest version of the file from eurobricks there is an error in line 3345:

Code:
 <Transformation ldraw="2607.dat" tx="0" ty="-.96" tz="°" ax="0" ay="1" az="0" angle="3.141593" />

Typo has been corrected in 2017-03-28. Appologies.
(2017-03-28, 21:05)Sylvain Sauvage Wrote:
(2017-03-28, 20:31)Rolf Osterthun Wrote: E.g. in the latest version of the file from eurobricks there is an error in line 3345:

Code:

Typo has been corrected in 2017-03-28. Appologies.

It is really a very good file you created there.
Thank you.

Rolf
(2017-03-28, 6:04)Luis Wrote:
(2017-03-28, 5:11)Richard Speyer Wrote: buf3d will import .lxf and export .ldr

Is this trustworthy (i.e. have you used this yourself?) I looked at the link, the site looks kinda weird... 
Just being cautious

- Luis

Hello Luis

I am the developer of Buf3D +. Sure I am the least indicated to give confidence about the conversion of Buf3D but I can assure that it is completely safe.
   A free version has long been available, with a limited conversion in number of parts, but it seems that putting the "lego" key in the title was not a good idea and google canceled the free version.

This is the download address of the free version (with conversion limit), in case you are interested in trying it:

http://buf3d.cimplus.com/download/buf3d-ad.apk

- Antony
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »