99455.dat part missing in LPub3d fade steps?

99455.dat part missing in LPub3d fade steps?
Hi, I looked at the LPub3d change log, but I'm still not sure how to add this to fade steps? Thx.
RE: 99455.dat part missing in LPub3d fade steps?
Update. I'm reading through these threads:
Thx.
I'm having the same problem with parts 6551 and 71427c01.  I also have read through those two threads, but I'm running into an issue in step 5 of Trevor's instructions in the first thread. 

When I navigate to my unofficial parts directory, I see a "fade" directory and a "Parts" directory.  There are "parts" and "p" subdirectories under the "fade" directory, but no "fade" subdirectory under the "Parts" directory.

.png   ldraw-dir.png (Size: 5.57 KB / Downloads: 155)

I have not seen any indication of the lpub3dldrawunf.zip archive being updated during processing of my mpd file.

All the rest of the fading appears to be working correctly, and those parts render correctly unfaded, but I can't get them to render faded.

.png   fade-fail.png (Size: 74.91 KB / Downloads: 155)
(2016-07-26, 8:55)Kevin Wrote: I'm having the same problem with parts 6551 and 71427c01.  I also have read through those two threads, but I'm running into an issue in step 5 of Trevor's instructions in the first thread. 

When I navigate to my unofficial parts directory, I see a "fade" directory and a "Parts" directory.  There are "parts" and "p" subdirectories under the "fade" directory, but no "fade" subdirectory under the "Parts" directory.

I have not seen any indication of the lpub3dldrawunf.zip archive being updated during processing of my mpd file.

All the rest of the fading appears to be working correctly, and those parts render correctly unfaded, but I can't get them to render faded.

Very easy solution Guys. Make sure the parts in question are added to the FadeStepsColorParts.lst. You have 2 options to do this 1.) Add the part manually by editing the .lst. You can launch the editor from the Configuration=>Edit Fade Color Parts List menu, 2.) Generate a new list from the menu Configuration=>Generate Fade Color Parts List. This option will read all the search directories defined capturing all the parts with static color components for addition to the fade parts list. You can see what search directories are defined under Preferences=>Other. Note: If not using ldraw.ini, but you have in place the directory LDraw\Unofficial, all directories under Unofficial will be detected as search directories by LPub3D. However, for LDView and L3P(POV-Ray), you will have to specifically define search directories under Unofficial.

...just to answer some points above:

Quote:When I navigate to my unofficial parts directory, I see a "fade" directory and a "Parts" directory.  There are "parts" and "p" subdirectories under the "fade" directory, but no "fade" subdirectory under the "Parts" directory.
The Unofficial/Fade directory is created by LPub3D to store all generated fade parts (I'll explain these later). These parts are generated during file load if Enable Fade Steps is checked in Preferences. Fade parts are automatically added to the archive library (lpub3dldrawunf.zip) after generation, at LPub3D launch and at specific actions like changing the renderer.

Quote:I have not seen any indication of the lpub3dldrawunf.zip archive being updated during processing of my mpd file.
Fade parts are generated to the Unofficial\Fade directory respecting the structure of the Unofficial archive (i.e. Parts, P directories). Fade contents under Parts and P are then added to the Parts and P archive directories in the lpub3dldrawunf.zip archive. Therefore, you will not see a 'Fade' directory in the archive library. To verify that your fade parts have been successfully added to the archive simply look in the lpub3dldrawunf.zip Parts and P folders for your respective faded parts after the model file has been loaded for the first time. 

Faded parts are written to disc and added to the archive library because the disc location provides access to the renderers (ldglite, LDView) while the archive library populates the 3d Viewer. To this end, it is important that the Fade/Parts and Fade/P directories are defined in your search directory lists. For ldglite, preparation of the search directory list is automatic because I have modified ldglite to receive from LPub3D a list of search directories which LPub3D calculates taking into account the Fade parts and primitives directories. For LDView/LP3(POV-Ray); however, you must use ldrawini to define these additional search directories. Although, LDView has the ability to add Extra Search directories from the menu at the User Interface, these directories are not detected when LDView is called from the command line as LPub3D does. They only appear to work when one uses LDView from its GUI.

Here is a summary of the fade process steps:

... on file load:
0. Prerequisite: up to date FadeStepsColorParts.lst; If using LDView as renderer, ldraw.ini updated with paths to Unofficial\Fade\Parts and Unofficial\Fade\P directories
1. Interrogate each line in the load file and compare each part to those on the fadeStepsColorParts.lst
2. If part or it's sub-part/primitive etc... has static color, it should be on the list so a faded representation will be generated (The static colour, except 16 and 24, is substituted by the selected fade colour).
3. The generated faded part/primitive is written to Unofficial/Fade/Parts[P] directories as necessary.
4. Faded parts are loaded into the lpub3dldrawunf.zip archive 
5. Lpub3dldrawunf.zip is reloaded into memory

Hopefully this write-up helps clear things up a bit.

Cheers,
(2016-05-22, 7:45)Brian Wrote: Update. I'm reading through these threads:
Thx.

The guidance indicated in the threads above have been superseded by those in my response to Kevin. Since 1.3, the configuration of LPub3D is no longer in line with the guidance provided in the threads above.

Cheers,
(2016-07-26, 16:50)Trevor Sandy Wrote:
(2016-07-26, 8:55)Kevin Wrote: I'm having the same problem with parts 6551 and 71427c01.  I also have read through those two threads, but I'm running into an issue in step 5 of Trevor's instructions in the first thread. 

Very easy solution Guys. Make sure the parts in question are added to the FadeStepsColorParts.lst. You have 2 options to do this 1.) Add the part manually by editing the .lst. You can launch the editor from the Configuration=>Edit Fade Color Parts List menu, 2.) Generate a new list from the menu Configuration=>Generate Fade Color Parts List. This option will read all the search directories defined capturing all the parts with static color components for addition to the fade parts list. You can see what search directories are defined under Preferences=>Other. Note: If not using ldraw.ini, but you have in place the directory LDraw\Unofficial, all directories under Unofficial will be detected as search directories by LPub3D. However, for LDView and L3P(POV-Ray), you will have to specifically define search directories under Unofficial.

Quote:When I navigate to my unofficial parts directory, I see a "fade" directory and a "Parts" directory.  There are "parts" and "p" subdirectories under the "fade" directory, but no "fade" subdirectory under the "Parts" directory.
The Unofficial/Fade directory is created by LPub3D to store all generated fade parts (I'll explain these later). These parts are generated during file load if Enable Fade Steps is checked in Preferences. Fade parts are automatically added to the archive library (lpub3dldrawunf.zip) after generation, at LPub3D launch and at specific actions like changing the renderer.

Quote:I have not seen any indication of the lpub3dldrawunf.zip archive being updated during processing of my mpd file.
Fade parts are generated to the Unofficial\Fade directory respecting the structure of the Unofficial archive (i.e. Parts, P directories). Fade contents under Parts and P are then added to the Parts and P archive directories in the lpub3dldrawunf.zip archive. Therefore, you will not see a 'Fade' directory in the archive library. To verify that your fade parts have been successfully added to the archive simply look in the lpub3dldrawunf.zip Parts and P folders for your respective faded parts after the model file has been loaded for the first time. 

Faded parts are written to disc and added to the archive library because the disc location provides access to the renderers (ldglite, LDView) while the archive library populates the 3d Viewer. To this end, it is important that the Fade/Parts and Fade/P directories are defined in your search directory lists. For ldglite, preparation of the search directory list is automatic because I have modified ldglite to receive from LPub3D a list of search directories which LPub3D calculates taking into account the Fade parts and primitives directories. For LDView/LP3(POV-Ray); however, you must use ldrawini to define these additional search directories. Although, LDView has the ability to add Extra Search directories from the menu at the User Interface, these directories are not detected when LDView is called from the command line as LPub3D does. They only appear to work when one uses LDView from its GUI.

... on file load:
0. Prerequisite: up to date FadeStepsColorParts.lst; If using LDView as renderer, ldraw.ini updated with paths to Unofficial\Fade\Parts and Unofficial\Fade\P directories
1. Interrogate each line in the load file and compare each part to those on the fadeStepsColorParts.lst
2. If part or it's sub-part/primitive etc... has static color, it should be on the list so a faded representation will be generated (The static colour, except 16 and 24, is substituted by the selected fade colour).
3. The generated faded part/primitive is written to Unofficial/Fade/Parts[P] directories as necessary.

Cheers,

Trevor,

Thanks for the detailed explanation.   I think I understand the process now.  I'm still having the same problem, but it feels like I'm closer to a solution.

When I try to rebuild the fadeStepsColorParts.lst, LPub3D crashes.  I suspect that this may be because my ldraw.ini file is in the wrong format or wrong location.  I have manually edited fSCP.lst to make sure the parts I need are in there. 

So my remaining questions are:
1) Does it matter that all the paths in fSCP.lst are for your computer, and not mine?  Should I do a mass change to my proper location?
2) I didn't have an ldraw.ini anywhere on my computer.  I couldn't find any formal documentation on this file, but a couple threads gave me some hints.  I tried placing the file in C:\Windows based on one thread, and when that didn't work, I moved it to my LDRAWDIR.  Still not working, but this seems like a more reaasonable location.
3) What is the format of the ldraw.ini file?  Here is what I put in mine:

[LDraw]
BaseDirectory="C:\Users\Public\Documents\LDraw"
LgeoDirectory="C:\Users\Public\Documents\LGEO"
[LDrawSearch]
1=<MODELDIR>
2="C:\Users\Public\Documents\LDraw\p"
3="C:\Users\Public\Documents\LDraw\parts"
4="C:\Users\Public\Documents\LDraw\models"
5="C:\Users\Public\Documents\LDraw\Unofficial\p"
6="C:\Users\Public\Documents\LDraw\Unofficial\Parts"
7="C:\Users\Public\Documents\LDraw\Unofficial\models"
8="C:\Users\Public\Documents\LDraw\Unofficial\lsynth"
9="C:\Users\Public\Documents\LDraw\Unofficial\fade\P"
10="C:\Users\Public\Documents\LDraw\Unofficial\fade\Parts"

Am I close?

4) Will having a properly-formatted ldraw.ini file in the correct location resolve the crash when rebuilding the fSCP.lst file from within LPub3D?

Thanks once again.

Kevin

UPDATE:

I little more progress:  I found this link which describes ldraw.ini:  http://news.lugnet.com/announce/?n=3854

My ldraw.ini now looks like this:

[LDraw]
BaseDirectory=C:\Users\Public\Documents\LDraw
LgeoDirectory=C:\Users\Public\Documents\LGEO
[LDrawSearch]
1=<MODELDIR>
2=<DEFPRIM><LDRAWDIR>\p
3=<DEFPART><LDRAWDIR>\parts
3=<LDRAWDIR>\models
4=<DEFPART><LDRAWDIR>\Unofficial\Parts
5=<DEFPRIM><LDRAWDIR>\Unofficial\fade\p
6=<DEFPART><LDRAWDIR>\Unofficial\fade\parts

And I see this in the LPub3D Preferences, "Other" tab:

However, I'm still getting the same results:  some faded parts not rendered, and LPub3D crashing when trying to rebuild the fSCP.lst file.  I also did the mass change to point to my directory path, not Trevor's, but I didn't see any effect.

Thanks.

Kevin
(2016-07-27, 1:48)Kevin Wrote:
(2016-07-26, 16:50)Trevor Sandy Wrote:

... on file load:

Cheers,

Trevor,

Thanks for the detailed explanation.   I think I understand the process now.  I'm still having the same problem, but it feels like I'm closer to a solution.

When I try to rebuild the fadeStepsColorParts.lst, LPub3D crashes.  I suspect that this may be because my ldraw.ini file is in the wrong format or wrong location.  I have manually edited fSCP.lst to make sure the parts I need are in there. 

So my remaining questions are:
1) Does it matter that all the paths in fSCP.lst are for your computer, and not mine?  Should I do a mass change to my proper location?
2) I didn't have an ldraw.ini anywhere on my computer.  I couldn't find any formal documentation on this file, but a couple threads gave me some hints.  I tried placing the file in C:\Windows based on one thread, and when that didn't work, I moved it to my LDRAWDIR.  Still not working, but this seems like a more reaasonable location.
3) What is the format of the ldraw.ini file?  Here is what I put in mine:

[LDraw]
BaseDirectory="C:\Users\Public\Documents\LDraw"
LgeoDirectory="C:\Users\Public\Documents\LGEO"
[LDrawSearch]
1=<MODELDIR>
2="C:\Users\Public\Documents\LDraw\p"
3="C:\Users\Public\Documents\LDraw\parts"
4="C:\Users\Public\Documents\LDraw\models"
5="C:\Users\Public\Documents\LDraw\Unofficial\p"
6="C:\Users\Public\Documents\LDraw\Unofficial\Parts"
7="C:\Users\Public\Documents\LDraw\Unofficial\models"
8="C:\Users\Public\Documents\LDraw\Unofficial\lsynth"
9="C:\Users\Public\Documents\LDraw\Unofficial\fade\P"
10="C:\Users\Public\Documents\LDraw\Unofficial\fade\Parts"

Am I close?

4) Will having a properly-formatted ldraw.ini file in the correct location resolve the crash when rebuilding the fSCP.lst file from within LPub3D?

Thanks once again.

Kevin

UPDATE:

I little more progress:  I found this link which describes ldraw.ini:  http://news.lugnet.com/announce/?n=3854

My ldraw.ini now looks like this:

[LDraw]
BaseDirectory=C:\Users\Public\Documents\LDraw
LgeoDirectory=C:\Users\Public\Documents\LGEO
[LDrawSearch]
1=<MODELDIR>
2=<DEFPRIM><LDRAWDIR>\p
3=<DEFPART><LDRAWDIR>\parts
3=<LDRAWDIR>\models
4=<DEFPART><LDRAWDIR>\Unofficial\Parts
5=<DEFPRIM><LDRAWDIR>\Unofficial\fade\p
6=<DEFPART><LDRAWDIR>\Unofficial\fade\parts

And I see this in the LPub3D Preferences, "Other" tab:

However, I'm still getting the same results:  some faded parts not rendered, and LPub3D crashing when trying to rebuild the fSCP.lst file.  I also did the mass change to point to my directory path, not Trevor's, but I didn't see any effect.

Thanks.

Kevin

Ok - I'm not able to reproduce a crash during parts list generation. I tried on Win7, Win10 both as Admin and Std users.

Quote:I also did the mass change to point to my directory path, not Trevor's, but I didn't see any effect.
It looks like you are using an old format fade step color parts list. which include the absolute file path of the native file. In the old routine, the path was used to quickly locate the native file. However, in the new routine the native file is sourced from the archive libraries so the absolute file path is not used - just to file name.

As you are unable to progress, it looks like we'll have to do some troubleshooting...

First, the prerequisites:
- Be sure you have installed successfully the latest build of LPub3D (version 2.0.7.770)
- Be sure Enable Fade Steps is checked in the Configuration=>Preferences=>General settings tab
- Be sure both your official and unofficial archive files are in the same location (same directory)
- Be sure you are using an updated fadeStepColorParts.lst - See attached archive as you are unable to produce.
- Place your LDraw.ini file in your LDraw directory - this is the safest place to insure all applications will detect it.
- Clear all caches (or delete the generated LPub3D directory) created for the mode file.
- Backup and delete the Unofficial\Fade directory
- Refresh your archive libraries complete.zip and lpub3dldrawunf.zip - normally they can be found in .../<user>AppData/Local/LPub3D Software/LPub3D/libraries
- The fastest way to refresh your archive libraries is to delete them and select copy the next time you launch LPub3D. FYI, they are copied to your AppData location from <LPub3D Install Directory>/Data if you are running an installed distribution.
- After refreshing your libraries, be sure to launch LPub3D a couple of time to be sure all components are in place.
- I would recommend running the test with simple and direct directory paths. For example, placing your LDraw directory (where your fade files are generated) under the logged in user.

- Sample LDraw.ini Search Directories declaration for LPub3D:
Code:
[LDrawSearch]
1=<MODELDIR>
2=<HIDE><DEFPRIM><LDRAWDIR>\P
3=<DEFPART><LDRAWDIR>\PARTS
4=<LDRAWDIR>\MODELS
5=<HIDE><DEFPRIM><LDRAWDIR>\Unofficial\P
6=<DEFPART><LDRAWDIR>\Unofficial\parts
7=<DEFPART><LDRAWDIR>\Unofficial\LSynth
8=<HIDE><LDRAWDIR>\Unofficial\customParts\p
9=<DEFPART><LDRAWDIR>\Unofficial\customParts\parts
10=<HIDE><LDRAWDIR>\Unofficial\fade\p
11=<DEFPART><LDRAWDIR>\Unofficial\fade\parts

Up-to-date fadeStepColorParts.lst

.zip   fadeStepColorParts.zip (Size: 106.58 KB / Downloads: 1)

Tests - generate parts list:
- With the above in place you should be able to generate a refreshed parts list from the menu. Note that the progress bar should cycle 3 times. First for the unofficial files, then for the official files and last for the children of both. I am aware that during the 2nd cycle, the message still says 'Processing Unofficial Library...' when in fact it is actually processing the official library at that time.
- If you continue to experience a crash when trying to generate a new list, let me know the following:
  - the paths to your archive libraries
  - the logged in user type and whether generation is performed with the user's paths or other
  - at what point in the process (looking at the messaging and elapsed time) does the application terminate abnormally

Rendering fade parts with static colour:
- Start with a virgin set of archive libraries as described above - complete.zip and lpub3dldrawunf.zip
- Ensure it is the first launch of the model file (generated LPub3D directory should not be there)
- Launch LPub3D and open the model file
- Navigate to the page containing the expected faded file
- If the model was opened successfully, proceed to the model directory and check the following:
- Open the corresponding 'CSI' file (note if you are using LDView with single call rendering checked, the CSI file will be a named step file) and check that the part expected to be faded is appropriately named - i.e. it will have a suffix of '-fade' in the name before the extension like 48933ps1-fade.dat
- If the part is correctly labeled in the CSI, this means the process to generate the fade file worked as designed. It means that you should also have:
- a file of the same name in your Unofficial/fade/parts directory
- a file of the same name in your lpub3dldrawunf.zip archive library at under the parts subdirectory
- If the file is properly generated but it is not rendered, this means your renderer is not able to detect the fade file at it's location
- To test you can do the following:
- Manually copy the fade file from Unofficial/fade/parts to Unofficial/parts and reload the file
- If the file is not correctly labeled in the CSI, it means LPub3D is not able to detect it as a static color file - i.e. it is unsuccessful to find or read the proper information to detect this file in the fadeStepColorParts.lst. There can be several reasons for this but the most likely is:
- The color part entry is incorrect and the RegExp command against the list returns exist=false
- You can substitute your parts list with the one I attached to test correct entries.

That's all I can think of at the moment. Let me know how you fare with your testing.

Cheers,
[quote pid='22582' dateline='1469656135']
- Be sure you have installed successfully the latest build of LPub3D (version 2.0.7.770)
- Be sure Enable Fade Steps is checked in the Configuration=>Preferences=>General settings tab
- Be sure both your official and unofficial archive files are in the same location (same directory)
- Be sure you are using an updated fadeStepColorParts.lst - See attached archive as you are unable to produce.
- Place your LDraw.ini file in your LDraw directory - this is the safest place to insure all applications will detect it.
- Clear all caches (or delete the generated LPub3D directory) created for the mode file.
- Refresh your archive libraries complete.zip and lpub3dldrawunf.zip - normally they can be found in .../<user>AppData/Local/LPub3D Software/LPub3D/libraries
- The fastest way to refresh your archive libraries is to delete them and select copy the next time you launch LPub3D. FYI, they are copied to your AppData location from <LPub3D Install Directory>/Data if you are running an installed distribution.
- After refreshing your libraries, be sure to launch LPub3D a couple of time to be sure all components are in place.
- I would recommend running the test with simple and direct directory paths. For example, placing your LDraw directory (where your fade files are generated) under the logged in user.

Code:
[LDrawSearch]
1=<MODELDIR>
4=<LDRAWDIR>\MODELS

- With the above in place you should be able to generate a refreshed parts list from the menu. Note that the progress bar should cycle 3 times. First for the unofficial files, then for the official files and last for the children of both. I am aware that during the 2nd cycle, the message still says 'Processing Unofficial Library...' when in fact it is actually processing the official library at that time.
- If you continue to experience a crash when trying to generate a new list, let me know the following:
  - the logged in user type and whether generation is performed with the user's paths or other
  - at what point in the process (looking at the messaging and elapsed time) does the application terminate abnormally

- Start with a virgin set of archive libraries as described above - complete.zip and lpub3dldrawunf.zip
- Ensure it is the first launch of the model file (generated LPub3D directory should not be there)
- If the model was opened successfully, proceed to the model directory and check the following:
- Open the corresponding 'CSI' file (note if you are using LDView with single call rendering checked, the CSI file will be a named step file) and check that the part expected to be faded is appropriately named - i.e. it will have a suffix of '-fade' in the name before the extension like 48933ps1-fade.dat
- If the part is correctly labeled in the CSI, this means the process to generate the fade file worked as designed. It means that you should also have:
- a file of the same name in your lpub3dldrawunf.zip archive library at under the parts subdirectory
- If the file is properly generated but it is not rendered, this means your renderer is not able to detect the fade file at it's location
- Manually copy the fade file from Unofficial/fade/parts to Unofficial/parts and reload the file
- If the file is not correctly labeled in the CSI, it means LPub3D is not able to detect it as a static color file - i.e. it is unsuccessful to find or read the proper information to detect this file in the fadeStepColorParts.lst. There can be several reasons for this but the most likely is:
- The color part entry is incorrect and the RegExp command against the list returns exist=false
- You can substitute your parts list with the one I attached to test correct entries.

That's all I can think of at the moment. Let me know how you fare with your testing.

Cheers,
[/quote]

Trevor,

I followed your instructions but still had the same problem, so I decided to start totally clean.  I uninstalled everyting, then reinstalled the LDraw AIOI (without LPub3D or POV-Ray), LPub3D and POV-Ray, all with fresh downloads.  In the process, I moved the LDraw and LGEO directories under c:\LEGO_Tools.  I replaced the fadeStepColorParts.lst with the one from the link you provided (and verified all my missing parts are in it), and my ldraw.ini file looks like your example and resides in c:\LEGO_Tools\LDraw.  I ran regedit to scan for references to LDRAWDIR and made sure they all pointed to the new location.  And finally, I used LPub3D to refresh the official and unofficial archives.  After all that, I'm still back where I started--the same parts don't render when faded, and generating the fadeStepColorParts.lst crashes LPub3D.

Path to my archive libraries:  C:\Users\IBM_ADMIN\AppData\Local\LPub3D Software\LPub3D\libraries

Logged in user:  IBM_ADMIN.  I think the answer to your question is yes, I'm using the logged in user's paths for the generation.

It terminates at different times.  Sometimes in the first cycle, and sometimes in the second.  The furthest progress I've seen is 100% of the first cycle and 76% of the second cycle.  But I've also seen it crash at 2% of the first cycle.

Here are my results at each step of your instructions:
     * Deleted these archives, then selected "copy" at LPub3D startup.  Verified that new copies were placed in the directory.
     * Deleted this directory before launching LPub3D
     * Successfully launched LPub3D
     * Page 39 adds part 71427c01 to the assembly.  It should be faded on page 40, but it's simply missing

* I assume this is the LPub3D subdirectory in the directory containing my model .mpd file

- Open the corresponding 'CSI' file (note if you are using LDView with single call rendering checked, the CSI file will be a named step file) and
check that the part expected to be faded is appropriately named - i.e. it will have a suffix of '-fade' in the name before the extension like 48933ps1-fade.dat
     *  The assembly is named "hobmotor"  When I open "hobmotor.ldr" I see this line:
     *  1 7 290 -56 0 0 0 1 0 1 0 -1 0 0 71427c01.dat
     *  When I open "hobmotor-fade.ldr" I see this line: 
     *  1 39 290 -56 0 0 0 1 0 1 0 -1 0 0 71427c01-fade.dat
     *  my Unofficial/fade/parts directory is completely empty except for a subdirectory Unofficial/fade/parts/s which is also empty
      *  The archive does not contain any file named 71427c01.dat or 71427c01-fade.dat, nor does it contain a fade directory anywhere
     *  No actual fade file to test with.

I can attach the dump file if it would help.

Thanks again for all your time.

Kevin
(2016-07-29, 3:36)Kevin Wrote: [quote pid='22582' dateline='1469656135']

Code:
[LDrawSearch]
1=<MODELDIR>
4=<LDRAWDIR>\MODELS

Cheers,

Trevor,

I followed your instructions but still had the same problem, so I decided to start totally clean.  I uninstalled everyting, then reinstalled the LDraw AIOI (without LPub3D or POV-Ray), LPub3D and POV-Ray, all with fresh downloads.  In the process, I moved the LDraw and LGEO directories under c:\LEGO_Tools.  I replaced the fadeStepColorParts.lst with the one from the link you provided (and verified all my missing parts are in it), and my ldraw.ini file looks like your example and resides in c:\LEGO_Tools\LDraw.  I ran regedit to scan for references to LDRAWDIR and made sure they all pointed to the new location.  And finally, I used LPub3D to refresh the official and unofficial archives.  After all that, I'm still back where I started--the same parts don't render when faded, and generating the fadeStepColorParts.lst crashes LPub3D.

Path to my archive libraries:  C:\Users\IBM_ADMIN\AppData\Local\LPub3D Software\LPub3D\libraries

Logged in user:  IBM_ADMIN.  I think the answer to your question is yes, I'm using the logged in user's paths for the generation.

It terminates at different times.  Sometimes in the first cycle, and sometimes in the second.  The furthest progress I've seen is 100% of the first cycle and 76% of the second cycle.  But I've also seen it crash at 2% of the first cycle.

Here are my results at each step of your instructions:
     * Deleted these archives, then selected "copy" at LPub3D startup.  Verified that new copies were placed in the directory.
     * Deleted this directory before launching LPub3D
     * Successfully launched LPub3D
     * Page 39 adds part 71427c01 to the assembly.  It should be faded on page 40, but it's simply missing

* I assume this is the LPub3D subdirectory in the directory containing my model .mpd file

- Open the corresponding 'CSI' file (note if you are using LDView with single call rendering checked, the CSI file will be a named step file) and
check that the part expected to be faded is appropriately named - i.e. it will have a suffix of '-fade' in the name before the extension like 48933ps1-fade.dat
     *  The assembly is named "hobmotor"  When I open "hobmotor.ldr" I see this line:
     *  1 7 290 -56 0 0 0 1 0 1 0 -1 0 0 71427c01.dat
     *  When I open "hobmotor-fade.ldr" I see this line: 
     *  1  39 290 -56 0 0 0 1 0 1 0 -1 0 0 71427c01-fade.dat
     *  my Unofficial/fade/parts directory is completely empty except for a subdirectory Unofficial/fade/parts/s which is also empty
      *  The archive does not contain any file named 71427c01.dat or 71427c01-fade.dat, nor does it contain a fade directory anywhere
     *  No actual fade file to test with.

I can attach the dump file if it would help.

Thanks again for all your time.

Kevin
[/quote]

Kevin - I've made some changes to the fade step functionality in the just released v2.0.8. Let me now if your issue is resolved with this release or not?

Cheers,
(2016-08-05, 5:46)Trevor Sandy Wrote: Kevin - I've made some changes to the fade step functionality in the just released v2.0.8. Let me now if your issue is resolved with this release or not?

Cheers,

Unfortunately, I'm still having the exact same problem.  Faded parts not showing up at all, and a crash when rebuilding the Fade Color Parts List.  Here are the last entries in the log file, if it's any help:

2016-08-05T14:29:49.965 STATUS  lpub.h void Gui:ConfusedtatusMessage(bool, QString) @ln 613 "Page display ready."
2016-08-05T14:30:33.206 INFO  threadWorkers.cpp bool ColourPartListWorker::processArchiveParts(const QString&) @ln 976 "Processing Unofficial Library - Parts Count: 2358"
2016-08-05T14:30:37.418 INFO  threadWorkers.cpp bool ColourPartListWorker::processArchiveParts(const QString&) @ln 1020 "Finished Unofficial Library"
2016-08-05T14:30:37.716 INFO  threadWorkers.cpp bool ColourPartListWorker::processArchiveParts(const QString&) @ln 976 "Processing Official Library - Parts Count: 13502"

I again refreshed the Official and Unofficial parts archives, but still the same issue.

I don't know if it's relevant, but every time I reset the Fade Files Cache, it reports "0 items removed" even after stepping through many pages of successfully faded steps.

Thank you.

Kevin
(2016-08-05, 7:51)Kevin Wrote:
(2016-08-05, 5:46)Trevor Sandy Wrote: Kevin - I've made some changes to the fade step functionality in the just released v2.0.8. Let me now if your issue is resolved with this release or not?

Cheers,

Unfortunately, I'm still having the exact same problem.  Faded parts not showing up at all, and a crash when rebuilding the Fade Color Parts List.  Here are the last entries in the log file, if it's any help:

2016-08-05T14:29:49.965 STATUS  lpub.h void Gui:ConfusedtatusMessage(bool, QString) @ln 613 "Page display ready."
2016-08-05T14:30:33.206 INFO  threadWorkers.cpp bool ColourPartListWorker::processArchiveParts(const QString&) @ln 976 "Processing Unofficial Library - Parts Count: 2358"
2016-08-05T14:30:37.418 INFO  threadWorkers.cpp bool ColourPartListWorker::processArchiveParts(const QString&) @ln 1020 "Finished Unofficial Library"
2016-08-05T14:30:37.716 INFO  threadWorkers.cpp bool ColourPartListWorker::processArchiveParts(const QString&) @ln 976 "Processing Official Library - Parts Count: 13502"

I again refreshed the Official and Unofficial parts archives, but still the same issue.

I don't know if it's relevant, but every time I reset the Fade Files Cache, it reports "0 items removed" even after stepping through many pages of successfully faded steps.

Thank you.

Kevin

Well I'm completely stumped on why your fade step generation keeps crashing  Exclamation  

Try the fade generations a few times... It did complete the unofficial archive which but failed on cycle 2 of 3 - capturing the files from the official archive. Anyway, for now, use the provided fadestep list - the installation replaces your old one. You can see the generation date as Aug 01, 2016. 

Can you send the entire log? You can see in there if fade files are being generated or not.

Fore the fade parts not showing up, did you clear you model cache before generating ? It's the LPub3D directory created where you store you model file. If there are already renderings (old ones without fade parts displayed), LPub3D will not create new ones. So you might think the problem still exist when, if fact, it does not. Can you check this?

Cheers,
(2016-08-05, 10:05)Trevor Sandy Wrote:

Cheers,

Thank you.

Kevin

Well I'm completely stumped on why your fade step generation keeps crashing  Exclamation  

Try the fade generations a few times... It did complete the unofficial archive which but failed on cycle 2 of 3 - capturing the files from the official archive. Anyway, for now, use the provided fadestep list - the installation replaces your old one. You can see the generation date as Aug 01, 2016. 

Can you send the entire log? You can see in there if fade files are being generated or not.

Fore the fade parts not showing up, did you clear you model cache before generating ? It's the LPub3D directory created where you store you model file. If there are already renderings (old ones without fade parts displayed), LPub3D will not create new ones. So you might think the problem still exist when, if fact, it does not. Can you check this?

Cheers,

Some progress:  I'm able to generate the Fade Color Parts List now.  It took about 5 tries to get it to complete successfully, but it's worked 3 times in a row now.

Unfortunately, that hasn't translated into successful fading in my model.  The parts that aren't working are in the list, but that doesn't seem to be the fix.  I have also deleted the LPub3D subdirectory and cleared the caches to no avail.

I'm attaching the last 20+ minutes of the log file (the entire file is too big to attach), the .mpd file, and two pages of the PDF that show the failure. 

Thanks again for your time and attention with this issue.

Kevin

Attached Files
.txt   LPub3DLog--copy.txt (Size: 113.45 KB / Downloads: 5)
.mpd   HobermanStand.mpd (Size: 150.64 KB / Downloads: 0)
.pdf   HobermanStand.pdf (Size: 293.21 KB / Downloads: 2)
(2016-08-05, 12:24)Kevin Wrote:

Cheers,

Thank you.

Kevin

Cheers,

Some progress:  I'm able to generate the Fade Color Parts List now.  It took about 5 tries to get it to complete successfully, but it's worked 3 times in a row now.

Unfortunately, that hasn't translated into successful fading in my model.  The parts that aren't working are in the list, but that doesn't seem to be the fix.  I have also deleted the LPub3D subdirectory and cleared the caches to no avail.

I'm attaching the last 20+ minutes of the log file (the entire file is too big to attach), the .mpd file, and two pages of the PDF that show the failure. 

Kevin

Kevin,

This block of logging tells that:
- You launched the application with FadeStep already enabled
- Your are using LDraw.ini
- LDraw.ini did not detect your fade directories ...unofficial/fade/parts & ...unofficial/fade/p (which means they are either not defined or does not exist)
- If LDraw.ini did not detect your fade directories then the renderers will also not detect them and; consequently, no image files will be generated for fade parts

Code:
2016-08-05T20:04:29.357 INFO  application.cpp void Application::initialize(int&, char**) @ln 247 "-Initialize: New gui instance created."
2016-08-05T20:04:30.048 INFO  ldsearchdirs.cpp virtual bool LDPartsDirs::loadLDrawSearchDirs(const char*) @ln 377 LDRAW SEARCH DIR PUSHED:  .
2016-08-05T20:04:30.049 INFO  ldsearchdirs.cpp virtual bool LDPartsDirs::loadLDrawSearchDirs(const char*) @ln 377 LDRAW SEARCH DIR PUSHED:  C:\LEGO_Tools\LDraw\p
2016-08-05T20:04:30.050 INFO  ldsearchdirs.cpp virtual bool LDPartsDirs::loadLDrawSearchDirs(const char*) @ln 377 LDRAW SEARCH DIR PUSHED:  C:\LEGO_Tools\LDraw\parts
2016-08-05T20:04:30.051 INFO  ldsearchdirs.cpp virtual bool LDPartsDirs::loadLDrawSearchDirs(const char*) @ln 377 LDRAW SEARCH DIR PUSHED:  C:\LEGO_Tools\LDraw\Unofficial\Parts
2016-08-05T20:04:33.281 INFO  application.cpp int Application::run() @ln 287 "Run: Starting application..."
2016-08-05T20:04:34.322 INFO  application.cpp int Application::run() @ln 291 "Run: Application started."

For the launch criteria above, here is what a normal block of logging should look like if LDraw.ini is properly detecting your defined directories:

Code:
2016-08-06T00:04:57.159 INFO  application.cpp void Application::initialize(int&, char**) @ln 247 "-Initialize: New gui instance created."
2016-08-06T00:04:57.270 INFO  ldsearchdirs.cpp virtual bool LDPartsDirs::loadLDrawSearchDirs(const char*) @ln 377 LDRAW SEARCH DIR PUSHED:  .
2016-08-06T00:04:57.270 INFO  ldsearchdirs.cpp virtual bool LDPartsDirs::loadLDrawSearchDirs(const char*) @ln 377 LDRAW SEARCH DIR PUSHED:  C:\Users\Trevor\LDraw\P
2016-08-06T00:04:57.270 INFO  ldsearchdirs.cpp virtual bool LDPartsDirs::loadLDrawSearchDirs(const char*) @ln 377 LDRAW SEARCH DIR PUSHED:  C:\Users\Trevor\LDraw\PARTS
2016-08-06T00:04:57.270 INFO  ldsearchdirs.cpp virtual bool LDPartsDirs::loadLDrawSearchDirs(const char*) @ln 377 LDRAW SEARCH DIR PUSHED:  C:\Users\Trevor\LDraw\MODELS
2016-08-06T00:04:57.270 INFO  ldsearchdirs.cpp virtual bool LDPartsDirs::loadLDrawSearchDirs(const char*) @ln 377 LDRAW SEARCH DIR PUSHED:  C:\Users\Trevor\LDraw\Unofficial\P
2016-08-06T00:04:57.270 INFO  ldsearchdirs.cpp virtual bool LDPartsDirs::loadLDrawSearchDirs(const char*) @ln 377 LDRAW SEARCH DIR PUSHED:  C:\Users\Trevor\LDraw\Unofficial\parts
2016-08-06T00:04:57.270 INFO  ldsearchdirs.cpp virtual bool LDPartsDirs::loadLDrawSearchDirs(const char*) @ln 377 LDRAW SEARCH DIR PUSHED:  C:\Users\Trevor\LDraw\Unofficial\testParts
2016-08-06T00:04:57.270 INFO  ldsearchdirs.cpp virtual bool LDPartsDirs::loadLDrawSearchDirs(const char*) @ln 377 LDRAW SEARCH DIR PUSHED:  C:\Users\Trevor\LDraw\Unofficial\LSynth
2016-08-06T00:04:57.270 INFO  ldsearchdirs.cpp virtual bool LDPartsDirs::loadLDrawSearchDirs(const char*) @ln 377 LDRAW SEARCH DIR PUSHED:  C:\Users\Trevor\LDraw\Unofficial\customParts\p
2016-08-06T00:04:57.270 INFO  ldsearchdirs.cpp virtual bool LDPartsDirs::loadLDrawSearchDirs(const char*) @ln 377 LDRAW SEARCH DIR PUSHED:  C:\Users\Trevor\LDraw\Unofficial\customParts\parts
2016-08-06T00:04:57.270 INFO  ldsearchdirs.cpp virtual bool LDPartsDirs::loadLDrawSearchDirs(const char*) @ln 377 LDRAW SEARCH DIR PUSHED:  C:\Users\Trevor\LDraw\Unofficial\fade\p
2016-08-06T00:04:57.270 INFO  ldsearchdirs.cpp virtual bool LDPartsDirs::loadLDrawSearchDirs(const char*) @ln 377 LDRAW SEARCH DIR PUSHED:  C:\Users\Trevor\LDraw\Unofficial\fade\parts
2016-08-06T00:04:58.130 INFO  threadWorkers.cpp bool PartWorker::processPartsArchive(const QStringList&, const QString&) @ln 807 "Archived 3 parts from C:/Users/Trevor/LDraw/MODELS"
2016-08-06T00:04:58.256 INFO  threadWorkers.cpp bool PartWorker::processPartsArchive(const QStringList&, const QString&) @ln 807 "Archived 4 [3 + 1] parts from C:/Users/Trevor/LDraw/Unofficial/testParts"
2016-08-06T00:04:58.435 INFO  threadWorkers.cpp bool PartWorker::processPartsArchive(const QStringList&, const QString&) @ln 807 "Archived 37 [4 + 33] parts from C:/Users/Trevor/LDraw/Unofficial/LSynth"
2016-08-06T00:04:58.573 INFO  threadWorkers.cpp bool PartWorker::processPartsArchive(const QStringList&, const QString&) @ln 807 "Archived 41 [37 + 4] parts from C:/Users/Trevor/LDraw/Unofficial/customParts/p"
2016-08-06T00:05:00.175 INFO  threadWorkers.cpp bool PartWorker::processPartsArchive(const QStringList&, const QString&) @ln 807 "Archived 78 [41 + 37] parts from C:/Users/Trevor/LDraw/Unofficial/customParts/parts"
2016-08-06T00:05:00.946 INFO  threadWorkers.cpp bool PartWorker::processPartsArchive(const QStringList&, const QString&) @ln 807 "Archived 118 [78 + 40] parts from C:/Users/Trevor/LDraw/Unofficial/fade/parts"
2016-08-06T00:05:01.748 INFO  application.cpp int Application::run() @ln 287 "Run: Starting application..."
2016-08-06T00:05:02.902 INFO  application.cpp int Application::run() @ln 291 "Run: Application started."

Notice all fade directories are pushed. In the end, only directories that are not empty are processed however.

Play around a bit with your directory settings to ensure LDrawini is detecting your fade directories. 

Also check again that fade parts are being generated for static colour parts in your model - the steps for this are defined somewhere in this post.

Cheers,
(2016-08-05, 22:35)Trevor Sandy Wrote:

Cheers,

Thank you.

Kevin

Cheers,

Kevin

Kevin,

- LDraw.ini did not detect your fade directories ...unofficial/fade/parts & ...unofficial/fade/p (which means they are either not defined or does not exist)
- If LDraw.ini did not detect your fade directories then the renderers will also not detect them and; consequently, no image files will be generated for fade parts

Code:
2016-08-05T20:04:29.357 INFO  application.cpp void Application::initialize(int&, char**) @ln 247 "-Initialize: New gui instance created."
2016-08-05T20:04:30.048 INFO  ldsearchdirs.cpp virtual bool LDPartsDirs::loadLDrawSearchDirs(const char*) @ln 377 LDRAW SEARCH DIR PUSHED:  .
2016-08-05T20:04:30.049 INFO  ldsearchdirs.cpp virtual bool LDPartsDirs::loadLDrawSearchDirs(const char*) @ln 377 LDRAW SEARCH DIR PUSHED:  C:\LEGO_Tools\LDraw\p
2016-08-05T20:04:30.050 INFO  ldsearchdirs.cpp virtual bool LDPartsDirs::loadLDrawSearchDirs(const char*) @ln 377 LDRAW SEARCH DIR PUSHED:  C:\LEGO_Tools\LDraw\parts
2016-08-05T20:04:30.051 INFO  ldsearchdirs.cpp virtual bool LDPartsDirs::loadLDrawSearchDirs(const char*) @ln 377 LDRAW SEARCH DIR PUSHED:  C:\LEGO_Tools\LDraw\Unofficial\Parts
2016-08-05T20:04:33.281 INFO  application.cpp int Application::run() @ln 287 "Run: Starting application..."
2016-08-05T20:04:34.322 INFO  application.cpp int Application::run() @ln 291 "Run: Application started."

For the launch criteria above, here is what a normal block of logging should look like if LDraw.ini is properly detecting your defined directories:

Code:
2016-08-06T00:04:57.159 INFO  application.cpp void Application::initialize(int&, char**) @ln 247 "-Initialize: New gui instance created."
2016-08-06T00:04:57.270 INFO  ldsearchdirs.cpp virtual bool LDPartsDirs::loadLDrawSearchDirs(const char*) @ln 377 LDRAW SEARCH DIR PUSHED:  .
2016-08-06T00:04:57.270 INFO  ldsearchdirs.cpp virtual bool LDPartsDirs::loadLDrawSearchDirs(const char*) @ln 377 LDRAW SEARCH DIR PUSHED:  C:\Users\Trevor\LDraw\P
2016-08-06T00:04:57.270 INFO  ldsearchdirs.cpp virtual bool LDPartsDirs::loadLDrawSearchDirs(const char*) @ln 377 LDRAW SEARCH DIR PUSHED:  C:\Users\Trevor\LDraw\PARTS
2016-08-06T00:04:57.270 INFO  ldsearchdirs.cpp virtual bool LDPartsDirs::loadLDrawSearchDirs(const char*) @ln 377 LDRAW SEARCH DIR PUSHED:  C:\Users\Trevor\LDraw\MODELS
2016-08-06T00:04:57.270 INFO  ldsearchdirs.cpp virtual bool LDPartsDirs::loadLDrawSearchDirs(const char*) @ln 377 LDRAW SEARCH DIR PUSHED:  C:\Users\Trevor\LDraw\Unofficial\P
2016-08-06T00:04:57.270 INFO  ldsearchdirs.cpp virtual bool LDPartsDirs::loadLDrawSearchDirs(const char*) @ln 377 LDRAW SEARCH DIR PUSHED:  C:\Users\Trevor\LDraw\Unofficial\parts
2016-08-06T00:04:57.270 INFO  ldsearchdirs.cpp virtual bool LDPartsDirs::loadLDrawSearchDirs(const char*) @ln 377 LDRAW SEARCH DIR PUSHED:  C:\Users\Trevor\LDraw\Unofficial\testParts
2016-08-06T00:04:57.270 INFO  ldsearchdirs.cpp virtual bool LDPartsDirs::loadLDrawSearchDirs(const char*) @ln 377 LDRAW SEARCH DIR PUSHED:  C:\Users\Trevor\LDraw\Unofficial\LSynth
2016-08-06T00:04:57.270 INFO  ldsearchdirs.cpp virtual bool LDPartsDirs::loadLDrawSearchDirs(const char*) @ln 377 LDRAW SEARCH DIR PUSHED:  C:\Users\Trevor\LDraw\Unofficial\customParts\p
2016-08-06T00:04:57.270 INFO  ldsearchdirs.cpp virtual bool LDPartsDirs::loadLDrawSearchDirs(const char*) @ln 377 LDRAW SEARCH DIR PUSHED:  C:\Users\Trevor\LDraw\Unofficial\customParts\parts
2016-08-06T00:04:57.270 INFO  ldsearchdirs.cpp virtual bool LDPartsDirs::loadLDrawSearchDirs(const char*) @ln 377 LDRAW SEARCH DIR PUSHED:  C:\Users\Trevor\LDraw\Unofficial\fade\p
2016-08-06T00:04:57.270 INFO  ldsearchdirs.cpp virtual bool LDPartsDirs::loadLDrawSearchDirs(const char*) @ln 377 LDRAW SEARCH DIR PUSHED:  C:\Users\Trevor\LDraw\Unofficial\fade\parts
2016-08-06T00:04:58.130 INFO  threadWorkers.cpp bool PartWorker::processPartsArchive(const QStringList&, const QString&) @ln 807 "Archived 3 parts from C:/Users/Trevor/LDraw/MODELS"
2016-08-06T00:04:58.256 INFO  threadWorkers.cpp bool PartWorker::processPartsArchive(const QStringList&, const QString&) @ln 807 "Archived 4 [3 + 1] parts from C:/Users/Trevor/LDraw/Unofficial/testParts"
2016-08-06T00:04:58.435 INFO  threadWorkers.cpp bool PartWorker::processPartsArchive(const QStringList&, const QString&) @ln 807 "Archived 37 [4 + 33] parts from C:/Users/Trevor/LDraw/Unofficial/LSynth"
2016-08-06T00:04:58.573 INFO  threadWorkers.cpp bool PartWorker::processPartsArchive(const QStringList&, const QString&) @ln 807 "Archived 41 [37 + 4] parts from C:/Users/Trevor/LDraw/Unofficial/customParts/p"
2016-08-06T00:05:00.175 INFO  threadWorkers.cpp bool PartWorker::processPartsArchive(const QStringList&, const QString&) @ln 807 "Archived 78 [41 + 37] parts from C:/Users/Trevor/LDraw/Unofficial/customParts/parts"
2016-08-06T00:05:00.946 INFO  threadWorkers.cpp bool PartWorker::processPartsArchive(const QStringList&, const QString&) @ln 807 "Archived 118 [78 + 40] parts from C:/Users/Trevor/LDraw/Unofficial/fade/parts"
2016-08-06T00:05:01.748 INFO  application.cpp int Application::run() @ln 287 "Run: Starting application..."
2016-08-06T00:05:02.902 INFO  application.cpp int Application::run() @ln 291 "Run: Application started."

Notice all fade directories are pushed. In the end, only directories that are not empty are processed however.

Play around a bit with your directory settings to ensure LDrawini is detecting your fade directories. 

Also check again that fade parts are being generated for static colour parts in your model - the steps for this are defined somewhere in this post.

Cheers,

It's working now!

I'm not sure which piece I was missing, but whatever it was, it no longer appears to be missing. 

Thank you for all your help and your incredible patience.  I truly appreciate it.

Kevin
(2016-08-06, 3:08)Kevin Wrote:
(2016-08-05, 7:51)Kevin Wrote: Unfortunately, I'm still having the exact same problem.  Faded parts not showing up at all, and a crash when rebuilding the Fade Color Parts List.  Here are the last entries in the log file, if it's any help:

Thank you.

Kevin

Cheers,

Kevin

Kevin,

Code:

Code:

Cheers,

It's working now!

I'm not sure which piece I was missing, but whatever it was, it no longer appears to be missing. 

Thank you for all your help and your incredible patience.  I truly appreciate it.

Kevin

Excellent - good to see all is well.

Cheers,
(2016-08-06, 20:31)Trevor Sandy Wrote:
(2016-08-06, 3:08)Kevin Wrote:
(2016-08-05, 10:05)Trevor Sandy Wrote: Well I'm completely stumped on why your fade step generation keeps crashing  Exclamation  

Cheers,

Kevin

Kevin,

Code:

Code:

Cheers,

It's working now!

Kevin

Excellent - good to see all is well.

Cheers,

Actually, I was a bit premature with that statement.  The faded parts that were missing are now being rendered, but the sub-components of those parts that have hard-coded colors are not being faded.  I will work through your troubleshooting instructions and see if I can identify where the problem is and maybe deduce the corrective actions.

Thanks.

Kevin
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »