Windows machine specs to run LDraw software

Windows machine specs to run LDraw software
Hi folks,

Its been a while since I was here, but now I have a question:
Will the various LDraw software work on a Windows 8 or 10 laptop like an Acer Aspire ES1-131-C50P or comparable laptop?

I like to focus on LDCad, LPub3D and LDView.
I asume MLCad will work, since this works even on old Windows 95 :-)

Thanks.
Jaco van der Molen
lpub.binarybricks.nl
RE: Windows machine specs to run LDraw software
(2016-05-19, 19:50)Jaco van der Molen Wrote: Hi folks,

Its been a while since I was here, but now I have a question:
Will the various LDraw software work on a Windows 8 or 10 laptop like an Acer Aspire ES1-131-C50P or comparable laptop?

I like to focus on LDCad, LPub3D and LDView.
I asume MLCad will work, since this works even on old Windows 95 :-)

Thanks.

Running fine on my Acer Aspire V 17 Nitro with Win10.

w.
LEGO ergo sum
I don't have any exact figures or stats, but I think it might struggle a bit on the laptop you suggest. Not necessarily the CPU (although it's on the lower end too), but especially the 2GB RAM. That's not a whole lot, when you subtract Windows and other background tasks. 

And the 32GB storage is probably not enough Wink
For the record, LDCad works pretty well on my old 2006 laptop, dual core 1.6GHz and 1Gb of RAM...
(2016-05-22, 10:48)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: For the record, LDCad works pretty well on my old 2006 laptop, dual core 1.6GHz and 1Gb of RAM...

That's interesting. I have a cheap Windows tablet, which I almost never use. A little while ago, I tried running LDCad on it for fun, and it didn't run too well. According to task manager it was hitting the RAM limit, not the CPU limit...
(2016-05-22, 10:59)Merlijn Wissink Wrote:
(2016-05-22, 10:48)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: For the record, LDCad works pretty well on my old 2006 laptop, dual core 1.6GHz and 1Gb of RAM...

That's interesting. I have a cheap Windows tablet, which I almost never use. A little while ago, I tried running LDCad on it for fun, and it didn't run too well. According to task manager it was hitting the RAM limit, not the CPU limit...

That's probably because of the lack of dedicated GPU memory, disabling the OpenGL use VBO option might help in such cases.
Thanks folks! I just found a store where I have a 30 day trial on a laptop.
I think I'll just buy it, try LDrawing and if it does not fit my needs or runs like crap, I'll just return the laptop and try another :-)
The thing is I don't have big budget for a machine with high graphic card specs and memory and stuff.
I'll let you know the results.
Jaco van der Molen
lpub.binarybricks.nl
Better late then never at last my reaction...
I recently bought a new laptop: the Acer Aspire ES1-331-C6Q2.
It runs Windows 10, has an Intel Celeron Dual core (2) 1600 MHz processor, 2GB RAM and Intel HD Graphics card with 13,3" screen.
HD Ready (720p) resolution 1366 x 768 pixels.
Though this is a pretty low end and fairly cheap laptop, LDCad and related LDraw programs run smooth and fast enough for my needs.
Jaco van der Molen
lpub.binarybricks.nl
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »