LDraw.org Discussion Forums

Full Version: Thinking about doing a LDCad 1.7 version
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
(2020-01-21, 16:07)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: [ -> ]But this would not be consistent with part bin implementation, and filter allows for example to show all "blue" colors and let you choose.
You are right, the behaviour would be different.
(2020-01-21, 16:26)Miguel Reizinho Wrote: [ -> ]You are right, the behaviour would be different.

I prefer to make it as much the same as the filter in the part bin. So there will also be a special 'search' group for the color bin which initially shows nothing until you enter a filter.

Only thing I'm still not sure about is the space it takes, as it's not always needed and I kinda liked the minimal sized color window. Making it opitional is kinda tough because the 1.x gui rendering is currently very static (2.0 is basically a html like engine whom handles 'div' sections )
(2020-01-21, 19:53)Roland Melkert Wrote: [ -> ]I prefer to make it as much the same as the filter in the part bin. So there will also be a special 'search' group for the color bin which initially shows nothing until you enter a filter.

Only thing I'm still not sure about is the space it takes, as it's not always needed and I kinda liked the minimal sized color window. Making it opitional is kinda tough because the 1.x gui rendering is currently very static (2.0 is basically a html like engine whom handles 'div' sections )

Perhaps a dropdown list for v2.0? I really like the color pallete from stud.io. It's very pratical and I would welcome something similiar in LDCaad. It has ability to filter/search, the colors are sorted alphabetically and by type (solid, metalic, transparent), and has a left vertical toolbar where you can see color groups and click on it to see only colors of that particular hue (in the image, the magenta color group was selected):

[Image: studio.png]

In MLCad I used to have the colors on a vertical toolbar to save up some space:

[Image: mlcad.png]
(2020-01-13, 20:41)Roland Melkert Wrote: [ -> ]So I'm thinking to do a 1.7 version instead with a couple of more things I wanted to do in 2.0. But that version is a looooooong way out.
If anyone has some additional ideas this is the time to let me know.
This is great message, Roland, thanks a lot.

The top of my wishlist (filtered for features hopefully doable in 1.7, without full code rewrite in 2.0):

* color bin: textual color search - exactly as it is described in this thread
* color bin: "special color bins" similar to special part bins: colors in current (sub)model, colors in all the mpd of current (sub)model - makes model editing much faster
* performance: maintain the list of "open" snap points (objects) so only those snap points "on the model surface" are counted. Typical example: moving more complex submodel in the main model. This makes my computer completely overloaded today.
* UI: avoid that big jump when moving some submodel or part with hotkeys (in coordinate system) and then trying to fine-tune the place with a mouse. For me, this is the most annoying feature of LDCAD, esp. because I need this workflow when my computer is nearly frozen because of the problem in previous point.
* documentation of scripting language: full documentation of LDCAD API plus some howtos or tutorials. This is missing so much!! It should be probably the point on the top.
(2020-01-22, 12:54)Milan Vančura Wrote: [ -> ]<snip>
* documentation of scripting language: full documentation of LDCAD API plus some howtos or tutorials. This is missing so much!! It should be probably the point on the top.
Yeah but nobody wants to write documentation when there are fun features to develop!
(2020-01-23, 6:30)Owen Dive Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah but nobody wants to write documentation when there are fun features to develop!
Sure! one thing that could be done while (perhaps) not beeing too tedious would be to provide some simple scripting examples (like a 3 gears geartrain, a 4 bars linkage or a rack and pinion steering). All these exemples are already provided in existing scripts, but are included in overwhelmingly complex models and scripts.
(2020-01-13, 20:41)Roland Melkert Wrote: [ -> ]If anyone has some additional ideas this is the time to let me know.
- It would be very nice if the bezier handles were visible during control point move (after duplication with insert). That would greatly help to figure out current orientation.
- I still find that control points arrows are too thin. If they were 3 pixels wide instead of just one they would be more visible and easier to select (so many times I select the part behind...)
- Wondering if an "average" function would make sense. It would orient a control point to follow a smooth path between previous and next control points.
(2020-02-05, 14:34)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: [ -> ]- Wondering if an "average" function would make sense. It would orient a control point to follow a smooth path between previous and next control points.
I'm not sure what you mean here.

I wrote the LDCad code based on this information:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B%C3%A9zier_curve

Specifically the first one in the 'Higher-order curves' section.

Or do you mean the "Quadratic curves" one, which only have a single control point.
Here is the idea I have in mind:
[attachment=4791]
Sensor, plug and blue brick are fixed, but of course the cable must avoid the brick. When I insert a new control point to get around the brick, I end up in the middle configuration, with a pinch in the cable. The "control point" smoothing function would somehow average (with some weighting depending on distance) the other two control points directions in order to set a "plausible" direction and twist.
Could you maybe add a special "View" mode, where all controls are for moving the viewpoint and we cannot accidentally touch and alter a part? Thanks.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15