SubFile resolving

SubFile resolving
Hello,

I'm trying to write simple program that parse .dat files and build tree representation of LDraw model in memory. I have problem to read some sub file references. For example line:
Code:
1 16 290 0 230 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 stud.dat
This line is reference to file "stud.dat". Problem is that this file doesn't exists. I can't find advise how to resolve "stud.dat" to existing file name in LDraw part library. Is there any way how to resolve it?

Thanks

Jan
Re: SubFile resolving
The file stud.dat is a primitive, and is in the p/ subdirectory of the LDraw parts library. File loading in LDraw involves a kind of search path. The standard search path is as follows:
  • . (the main model's directory)
  • <LDraw Dir>\p
  • <LDraw Dir>\parts
  • <LDraw Dir>\models
LDView and some other programs add the following after the above:
  • <LDraw Dir>\Unofficial\p
  • <LDraw Dir>\Unofficial\parts

If your project is in C/C++, you might consider using's Lars C. Hassing's LDrawIni code to find sub-files. (LDView uses this.)
stud.dat is a primitive, those live in the "ldraw/p/" subfolder.

When resolving any type 1 line you need to fist look into the file's own folder, if it's not there look in "ldraw/parts/" if also not there look into "ldraw/p/". If still not found it's a missing file or the user needs to supply additional search paths to your program.

Also if the file is an MPD document, you need to search the "0 FILE " lines before searching the fs.

hope this helps.

[edit] Travis was a bit quicker Smile
Thanks you both for reply, it helps me to move forward. But I'm still struggling with following. When I look at file:
Code:
<LDraw Dir>/parts/10.dat
there is at line 46 next sub file reference:
Code:
1 16 290 0 230 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 stud.dat
I can't find referenced file "stud.dat" in any LDraw dir. I believe that I'm missing some rule.

Thanks Jan
As written by Roland and Travis, this file must be in <LDraw Dir>/p folder. There are many other primitives, too.
You can try to redownload the complete package...
Unfortunately I am writing on my phone, so that I can't give you the link.

/Max
Thanks, it was my fault. For some reason I don't have "stud.dat" in my <LDraw Dir>/p directory. I found this file is in downloaded complete.zip.

Thanks Jan
The parts library update zips only work if you already have the previous version installed. In other situations, it's best to just go with complete.zip.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »