7667 - Imperial Dropship [WIP, feedback wanted]

7667 - Imperial Dropship [WIP, feedback wanted]
This is my first attempted official model and I had some questions about the best way to improve it for inclusion in the OMR. It was created using MLCad. A few notes on questions I had, choices I made, the like:

* I haven't used any grouping, as I'm not sure how best to apply it or if there's any convention for naming groups.
* There is a detachable bit in the back. I wasn't sure whether to include this as a submodel or simply as is.
* I wasn't sure whether minifigs should be included as submodels.
* I've used steps, but no buffer exchanges/clears for displaying only the parts being worked with in the instructions. Should I do so?
* Stickers are not included, as I don't know of a good place to acquire the correct image or how to correctly create the sticker part, ensuring dimensions are accurate, etc. Is there any chance someone could help me with this or create the necessary part?
* The shadow trooper is using the stormtrooper patterns, which aren't quite accurate. I definitely do not have the skills to fix these, but not sure where I should ask to find someone willing to do the work.
* Obviously the headers aren't correct. If the above-mentioned things shouldn't be submodels, should it still be saved as an MPD. (If so, how can this be done in MLCad?)

Any other feedback that people have is welcome. I've done my best to ensure accurate part placement, but it's my first foray and I'm willing to learn. Official instructions for this model are at http://cache.lego.com/bigdownloads/build...535026.pdf.

Attached Files
.ldr   7667 - Imperial Dropship.ldr (Size: 6.14 KB / Downloads: 6)
Re: 7667 - Imperial Dropship [WIP, feedback wanted]
I don't know much about modeling, even less about OMR, but I thought was worthy to point out that the engine bits at the top rear bit don't meet the axle 5 properly, they should be moved a bit upwards.
Sean Burke Wrote:* I haven't used any grouping, as I'm not sure how best to apply it or if there's any convention for naming groups.

No convention. Naming is up to you.

Sean Burke Wrote:* There is a detachable bit in the back. I wasn't sure whether to include this as a submodel or simply as is.

Detachables should be added as submodel in the MPD.

Sean Burke Wrote:* I wasn't sure whether minifigs should be included as submodels.

Should be added as subfiles.

Sean Burke Wrote:* I've used steps, but no buffer exchanges/clears for displaying only the parts being worked with in the instructions. Should I do so?

IMHO not necessary. Models should be merely be viewable in editors and viewers rather than fit for LPub and the like.

Sean Burke Wrote:* Stickers are not included, as I don't know of a good place to acquire the correct image or how to correctly create the sticker part, ensuring dimensions are accurate, etc. Is there any chance someone could help me with this or create the necessary part?
* The shadow trooper is using the stormtrooper patterns, which aren't quite accurate. I definitely do not have the skills to fix these, but not sure where I should ask to find someone willing to do the work.

http://www.ldraw.org/article/593.html#mpd_file_structure

"If a part is unavailable either officially or on the LDraw.org Parts Tracker, a suitable substitution may be made. If the unavailable part is a patterned part with an unpatterned version available, use the unpatterned version. A comment should be inserted stating that a substitution has been made or, if no substitution is available/suitable, that a piece has been omitted. Reference the step and page number of the instructions if possible.

Example:
0 // The next piece should have the Star Wars Hatch pattern per step X on page Y or
0 // Bionicle piece X should go here per step Y on page Z"

Sean Burke Wrote:* Obviously the headers aren't correct. If the above-mentioned things shouldn't be submodels, should it still be saved as an MPD. (If so, how can this be done in MLCad?)

OMR compliance is best checked with MPDCenter:

http://ldraw.heidemann.org/index.php?page=mpdcenter

Check out my tutorial for a MPD-Howto

http://www.holly-wood.it/mlcad/advanced1-en.html

w.
LEGO ergo sum
Here's a revised file. I've corrected the positioning of the engines per Santeri. The model has been broken into submodels and a main model created. I've done an OMR compliance check and it's passed. Comments were added for stormtrooper/shadow trooper helmets and stickers, which I've left omitted. I suppose I should file a parts request for these.

Any remaining issues with OMR compliance (that can't be found by MPDCenter) or problems in the model itself would be appreciated.

Attached Files
.mpd   7667 - Imperial Dropship.mpd (Size: 8.16 KB / Downloads: 5)
I removed MLCad's Rotation metas (right-click in the model tree in MPDCenter. Anyway model copied to the AIOI. Thanks for sharing.

w.
LEGO ergo sum
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »