10240 - Red Five X-Wing Starfighter

10240 - Red Five X-Wing Starfighter
-Complete except the display stand sticker.
-Included Home made missing parts and stickers.
-Renders here: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=528226
-Feedback is welcome

Chris

Attached Files
.mpd   10240-1.mpd (Size: 1.49 MB / Downloads: 11)
Re: 10240 - Red Five X-Wing Starfighter
Looks very good Smile Thanks for sharing.
Do you have any plans for uploading the homemade parts to the parts tracker? I would welcome your parts!
Well...My Homemade parts are only a workaround for missing parts.
I dont think they meet the quality and optimization required for an addition in the library.
Nonsense. Smile

The parts look good, I only see some minor problems:
- 13252pb1 has some BFC faults
- 3039pb41 has two triangles wrongly faced
- 3039pb48 could possibly be subfiled but it could go as is too
- s10240F and -J could have their common code subfiled too
- the stickers in general lack a bottom shape and edgelines IIRC should be removed
- 4515p08 confuses me, is it a patterned part or does it have a sticker applied? In the former case the pattern should be flat on the part and in the latter case the sticker should exist alone without the host part. The tile pattern could also be subfiled since it's used in what appears to be four parts
- 11272 lacks some intersection edgelines
- 30554b looks good to me

Also the parts should be ran through datheader and more proper names could be considered. And if you cannot fix these problems, we could take care of them on the PT. I see no reason not to submit these.
Thanks for your input. I know that the parts need additional work.
I have to try to find a correct name for the sticker parts too.
For part #13252, I used the five digit number printed on the actual part, so I guess it's the good one.

-Regarding part #4515xx, I started to draw the stickers alone, but I had a big issue when rendering with Pov ray. I noticed that the LGEO enhanced part lg_4515.inc is not accurate. The slope angle is wrong. It's not a real issue for plain parts, but if you apply a sticker, It ruins the render. To bypass this issue, I had to apply the sticker and declare a new part that would not be processed through LGEO conversion.

-They are four separate parts 4515xx because the patterns are not identical.

I will try to clean my parts and submit them to the part tracker

I will add the unpatterned 13252 part not included in the model.

Attached Files
.dat   13252.dat (Size: 4.79 KB / Downloads: 4)
Yes, please send your parts to the PT. If there are problems you will be notified of them Smile.
-File in the 1st post updated with cleaned custom parts
-waiting for admin permission to submit these parts to the PT.

Chris
Great Rendering... !!! WoW...!!

Would you mind if I ask to share how to render such a high quality image like you did?
Well,
Basically, I use the same technique as the method described in this excellent tutorial made by Owen Burgoyne on Eurobricks: http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.ph...opic=65876
If you are interested in high quality rendering, I suggest you follow this tutorial first.
Try to render small models first, with fewer parts, they will render fast and you will be able to do a lot of testing to find your best settings.
To create my renders, I always do the following:
I load the model in Ldview, export to Pov Ray including Hi-res LGEO parts.
In Pov Ray, I use a combination of radiosity lighting and one area light to cast shadows.
Sometimes, I use reflective floor, but not always...the reflective floor on the X-Wing scene can take days to render.
I defined my own settings for radiosity after a lot of testing...On my quad core computer, one render take from a couple of hours to...several days.
I always render my models in Hi res with antialiasing.

If you want to try my own settings, I will be glad to share my Pov Ray files with you.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »