LDraw guidelines: When charging for a program

LDraw guidelines: When charging for a program
Hi,

the LDraw Steering Committee (SteerCo) has been questioned what their opinion is about the possibility of charging for a third party program. The following should be taken as guideline:

Should any person wish to charge money for a third party program using the LDraw Parts Library, the LDraw SteerCo strongly recommends that it is made clear that the charge is for the program itself and not for any derivative of the LDraw Parts Library. The intent of the CC license for the library should be made clear and it should include due credit to reward the efforts of all those who have contributed to the library. We would appreciate that the LDraw logo, as well as a link to the website are included and possibly featured prominently. It should also be made clear that the author is not representing himself as LDraw.org.

Furthermore, where possible, the SteerCo would also appreciate a donation be made to Peeron.com as hosts of LDraw.org (a Paypal Donation Button can be found in the top left-hand corner of LDraw's homepage). This is, however, not by any means a requirement.

Willy Tschager
On behalf of the LDraw Steering Committee
LEGO ergo sum
Re: LDraw guidelines when charging for an app
Now that comments on announcements are allowed...

Willy Tschager Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> the LDraw Steering Committee (SteerCo) has been
> questioned what their opinion is about the
> possibility of charging for a third party program
> or an app once it becomes available on the App
> Store. The following should be taken as
> guideline:
I would like to rephrase this as not to imply the use of Apple's "App Store", but be applicable to any software vendor.

I propose the following:
> the LDraw Steering Committee (SteerCo) has been
> questioned about what their opinion is on the
> possibility of charging for a third party program.
> The following should be taken as a guideline:

Similarly, here it starts out with "third party application"...
> Should any person wish to charge money for a
> third party application using the LDraw Parts
> Library, the LDraw SteerCo strongly recommends
> that it is made clear that the charge is for the
> App itself...
and then says App... why don't we just stay consistent and use "program".

Not that it really matters, its meaning is perfectly clear, but it's been bugging me so I thought I'd share.
Honestly I have other things to do, but since it bugs you that much I have no problem rewording it.

w.
LEGO ergo sum
I think it's a perfectly valid point that "App Store", capitalized, suggests a specific source, whereas the guidelines are presumably intended to apply to paid applications distributed through any channels. Thanks to Jean-Philippe and Willy both for your attention to detail.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »