Bricksmith ... "missing parts" message

Bricksmith ... "missing parts" message
I have just installed the Ldraw parts library (most recent version) and Bricksmith on my new Mac. I can open Bricksmith, and it finds the parts library. But when I open a file, it comes up with a list of "parts not found." This happens both with the sample model files that came with Bricksmith, and with .ldr files that I previously (last week) used with MLCad on my old PC. When this list is short, I can click "OK" at the bottom and the file still opens, with empty spaces for the missing pieces. When the list is long, it extends below the extent of the screen and I cannot click "OK," meaning Bricksmith is locked up and I have to go through Utilities to force it to quit.

I don't understand why Bricksmith finds the parts library, but not some of the parts. All of the parts were available when I used Ldraw with MLCad. Secondly, if I get that long list, is there a way to continue on to Bricksmith without having to force it to quit?
Re: Bricksmith ... "missing parts" message
Are you sure you didn't replace the full library with just the updated files? Parts updates are intended to be extracted over the top of an existing LDraw library containing everything except what's in the update. You might try downloading complete.zip from the latest update, and extracting that into your LDraw directory.
Got it fixed - thanks! I had carefully followed the installation instructions for Mac ... then realized after reading your response that those instructions (and the linked file) were posted several years ago. Current parts library is installed, and everything seems good.
To the admins:

The "Getting Started" page for Mac is scary wrong. It needs to be updated badly. For example, it links to Mac Brick CAD, which is no longer extant on the internet. It links to a completely bogus part library installation (which I hadn't even noticed until now). It links to Ldglite, which is novice-unfriendly. It even links to lugnet.cad.

If nobody else is able to improve this page, I'll volunteer, although if there's anyone else at all out there who wants to tackle it, I'll gladly defer to them. And as far as I know, I don't have edit privileges on ldraw.org pages anyway.

Thanks,
Allen
Hi Allen,

If you do wish to change things I'd suggest doing so on the Wiki. The "Getting Started - Linux" page will be based there too. We're trying to shift much of the content to the wiki to enable easier editing.

http://wiki.ldraw.org/index.php?title=Ge...rted_-_Mac

Tim
Yes I know. And I thought I had a page up on the wiki but apparently not. I will, however, delete the link to the outdated library file.
Ok, I updated the Mac page. Hopefully all the wrong info is gone...
ugh, the page looks distorted now.
Raw HTML is being shown to the user (me) in Firefox 12
On the wiki or the website? I'm pretty sure Orion edited the site. The wiki is a total mess because I just copy-pasted the page there for others to edit. I have neither the time, nor the knowledge to do anything for that page.

Tim
Looks fine to me. Checked with Chrome, Firefox, and Safari
Thanks Orion. That's definitely an improvement over what was there before.

Allen
I will take a whack at that wiki page if I get time, but I'm pretty short on that commodity myself these days. Again, if there's anyone else out there who feels led, please do so.

Allen
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »