Inconsistancy in description

Inconsistancy in description
Hi all,

Also see: https://forums.ldraw.org/thread-27498.html

Again I am finding it difficult to understand why, in LDCad, I can find 30565 Plate 4x4 Corner Round in the Plain Plates partbin.
IMHO this is modified plate?
And then, 30357 is called 3x3 Plate with 2x2 Corner Round and is found in the Plates Modified bin.

This also goes for:
- 68568 Plate  3 x  3 with  2 x  2 Corner Round and  2 x  2 with  1 x  1 Corner Round Cutout
- 80015 Plate  5 x  5 with  4 x  4 Corner Round and  4 x  4 with  3 x  3 Corner Round Cutout
both in modified plates
And then we find 79491 Plate  2 x  2 Corner Round in the Plain Plates bin. Though IMHO this too is a modified plate.

Another example is
- 77850 Plate  1 x  3 Round Ends and  3 Open Studs found in Plain Plates
- 35480 Plate  1 x  2 with Round Ends and 2 Open Studs is found in Modified

I think at least these two should be either both plain or both modified.
And I think we need to rename 77850 to Plate  1 x  3 with Round Ends and  3 Open Studs so it too will end up in the modified plates bin.
And 30565 should be Plate 4x4 with Corner Round

Can we find more consistency in naming and describing parts?
Since I am modelling very often in LDCad and sometimes find it illogical where to find certain parts, I come across this very often.

I know I can request fasttracking an edit to parts. Would this be the way to this if I come across inconsistancy?
Adding more keywords can help too.

Thanks for reading.
Jaco van der Molen
lpub.binarybricks.nl
RE: Inconsistancy in description
May I point out that this is a LDCad thing, as LDraw knows only "Plates"?

Maybe additional categories such as "Plate" and "Plate Modified" could solve this issue - as long as it applies only to newly submitted parts, without the obligation to recycle all official plates?

w.
LEGO ergo sum
(2024-07-04, 13:21)Willy Tschager Wrote: May I point out that this is a LDCad thing, as LDraw knows only "Plates"?

Maybe additional categories such as "Plate" and "Plate Modified" could solve this issue - as long as it applies only to newly submitted parts, without the obligation to recycle all official plates?

w.

I partially agree.
Still, there is inconsistancy in the descriptions.

The way LDcad puts parts in certain bins is by looking at the description.
Having the word "with" in the description, puts a part in a modified bin. This goes for plates, but also for bricks, tiles, etc.

I remember an earlier discussion on tiles. If a tile has no studs and is just a straight tile, it is a tile.
If it has a stud somewhere or some modification (like ie. a clip, bar or pin) it is either a plate or a modified tile.

Like said, I strongly suggest to at least make choice for the desription for these:

77850 Plate  1 x  3 Round Ends and  3 Open Studs
35480 Plate  1 x  2 with Round Ends and 2 Open Studs

Either with or without "with" ;-)
I vote for 77850 Plate  1 x  3 with Round Ends and  3 Open Studs

Since the 1x2 version came first and we choose to add "with", I think the 1x3 version deserves the word with.

I won't go for recycling all plates and neither make a new category.
Keeping just Plates would suffice, but we need to better pay attention to descriptions.
If a new part is made, we should look at the descriptions of other similar parts and make it consistant.
Jaco van der Molen
lpub.binarybricks.nl
Oh and:
30565 should be Plate  4 x  4 with Corner Round
79491 sould be Plate  2 x  2 with Corner Round
Jaco van der Molen
lpub.binarybricks.nl
(2024-07-04, 13:57)Jaco van der Molen Wrote: The way LDcad puts parts in certain bins is by looking at the description.
Having the word "with" in the description, puts a part in a modified bin. This goes for plates, but also for bricks, tiles, etc.

I don't think this is the whole truth. I had a hard time finding some of the most common, new parts.
I have now edited the sorting file to my liking.

The problem I see is that the default sorting files are created and maintained by Roland. And if I'm not careful they will be overwritten when LDCad is updated.

The use of "with" to sort part doesn't work alone, AFAIK there need to be at least one more qualifier like "clip" to place "plate with clip" in that bin.
And everytime there's a new design, like "plate ... corner round" there is no rule to sort that part, and it ends up in the big category "unsorted" and is very hard to find.

I would like to hear from Roland about the different sorting rules. How do they work?
(2024-07-04, 17:11)Magnus Forsberg Wrote: I don't think this is the whole truth. I had a hard time finding some of the most common, new parts.
I have now edited the sorting file to my liking.

The problem I see is that the default sorting files are created and maintained by Roland. And if I'm not careful they will be overwritten when LDCad is updated.

The use of "with" to sort part doesn't work alone, AFAIK there need to be at least one more qualifier like "clip" to place "plate with clip" in that bin.
And everytime there's a new design, like "plate ... corner round" there is no rule to sort that part, and it ends up in the big category "unsorted" and is very hard to find.

I would like to hear from Roland about the different sorting rules. How do they work?

Indeed. I have heavily custiomized all my bins.

Still, my main point is to be consistant in the description of parts. I think we can agree on that?
Jaco van der Molen
lpub.binarybricks.nl
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »