Torso assemblies

Torso assemblies
I'd like to discuss how were going to handle torso assemblies

Do we want to do Rebrickable style with color 16 torso, hardcoded arms, hardcoded hands? 
Color 16 everything? 
An all color 16 version with cNN versions for the hard coded arms and hands?

I have thoughts but I'd like to hear other opinions first.

P.S. This is happening so the answer of "don't add them" isn't helpful.
RE: Torso assemblies
I think following the Bricklink pattern of color 16 torso then hard coded hands and arms would be best. 

https://www.bricklink.com/catalogList.as...String=485

There is even and "all the same" ie all color 16
https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/cat...conly%22:0}
(2024-06-06, 18:25)Cam's Bricks Wrote: I think following the Bricklink pattern of color 16 torso then hard coded hands and arms would be best.

Color 16 with just the hands hardcoded seem the most logical to me.

But many will need a different approach depending on real-life usage.
I'm leaning towards color 16 torso, hard coded everything else with a 76382/98127 number the same pattern code as the torso and a cNN suffix.
(2024-06-06, 20:35)Orion Pobursky Wrote: I'm leaning towards color 16 torso, hard coded everything else with a 76382/98127 number the same pattern code as the torso and a cNN suffix.

Why a cNN suffix?

I see no reason to have hands and arms hardcoded if they all get the right colour when the assy is used coloured.
We have he same case on the dual moulded hip+leg assys.
Easier sorting. But you do have a point and we should follow what we've done in the past.
Hello,

here is my thout about this topic, i have already posted this at one part in the Part Tracker.

"First of all, I am delighted that the complete upper bodies are now available as parts.
A note from me about the name. In my opinion, it makes sense to add a counter after the names, as there are sometimes different parts that have the same torso, but different hands or arms, for example.
This would avoid colosion in the designation."

Since only one color value can be passed for a part, I would assign the color 16 to the torso and hardcode the color to all other parts that do not have the same color as the torso.
I also consider the counter cnn, as Orion mentioned, to be very important.

Greetings

Manfred
Manfred has a point here. We do need to consider different arms on the same printed torso.

When I chose the pattern code for the assys I uploaded yesterday, I simply picked the one from the torso. But there are examples of the case above, but IMHO it is wrong to add a cNN suffix. In most cases there will only be one combination and they would all be called c01.

I don't want to have all the different combinations of only differently coloured parts in the library. "A red torso with black arms and yellow hand."
My goal here is to make it easier to find the correct patterned arms to each of the patterned torsos.

If we look at the situation we have now, 76382pNN, it already gives us enough information.
76382 is the assembly number for torso+arms+hands, and the pNN suffix gives the pattern.
Adding cNN would mean that we have (assembly number) + (pattern code) + (assembly code). I don't like that.

The lower assembly 73200bpNN is already in use, and there are already many examples of the same hip, that give the first pattern code, is reused in other assemblies.
3815bp8i is used in both 73200bp8i and 73200pb8h
3815bp04 is used in 73200bp04, 73200bp0e and 73200bp0j
3815bpba is used in 73200bpba and 73200bpb9

We have previously talked about abandoning the pattern category code, where e.g. -pbN = Superheroes or -phN = Harry Potter, and we run into a problem when we come to the end of the alfabet. -pbz is the last possible code for superhero patterns. 
What combination comes next, after 0-9, a-z ?

What we do need to consider is the number of possible patterns. There are a lot of torsos.
We need a good strategy for picking the next pattern code to use.
(2024-06-06, 16:37)Orion Pobursky Wrote: P.S. This is happening so the answer of "don't add them" isn't helpful.

I'm trying to be as helpful as possible: Don't add them!

w.
LEGO ergo sum
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »