Solved Weird geometry using Import LDraw Blender plugin

Weird geometry using Import LDraw Blender plugin
I hope this is an appropriate place for my question.

I'm using the Import LDraw Blender plugin to render a model I built in StudIo. The problem is that part No. 80015 seems to have distorted geometry. I found found the .dat file in the unofficial parts library, however after adding to my locals files this is the result.

Please advise, I hope I'm just missing something obvious.

RE: Weird geometry using Import LDraw Blender plugin
(2024-05-12, 1:59)Connor Wrote: I hope this is an appropriate place for my question.

I'm using the Import LDraw Blender plugin to render a model I built in StudIo. The problem is that part No. 80015 seems to have distorted geometry. I found found the .dat file in the unofficial parts library, however after adding to my locals files this is the result.

Please advise, I hope I'm just missing something obvious.

Hi Connor!

You do not write which importer you used, but judging by the names it looks like TodyLobsters version. This version has Studio set up as the standard ldraw path. This is usually a bad idea since Studio does a lot of weird stuff with their ldraw folder. I would suggest the first thing you try is to change the path to your actual ldraw path.

At least that works fine here.

Fredrik
What about Studios own renderer? or is the Blender one better?
Can Studio files directly be opened in Blender or did you export the files as .ldr?
have you opened them in the LDraw tools?
Yes Fredrik you are correct, I'm using TobyLobster's version. Here's the Github for others that might come along.

It turns out I was missing something obvious. The documentation says to include unofficial parts in a sub directory labeled "unofficial". I missed this step and dumped the .dat files directly into the official parts folder. Adding the correct sub directory fixed the issue.

I appreciate your reply, it got me to go back and look at the docs.
(2024-05-12, 11:02)Rene Rechthaler Wrote: What about Studios own renderer? or is the Blender one better?
Can Studio files directly be opened in Blender or did you export the files as .ldr?
have you opened them in the LDraw tools?

Studios render is really good but I don't know if you can adjust the environment. With blender I can change the lighting and add a reflective ground plain like this.

Studio files can not be opened directly in blender. According to the docs it supports .mpd, .ldr, .l3b, and .dat file formats.

I'm not sure what LDraw tools is?

Thank you for your reply
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »