electric stud logo

electric stud logo
there was a long discussion in:
https://library.ldraw.org/tracker/34081 (please dont release it yet)
why the stud logo was missing...

I checked all the electric parts I have: they all have the electric contact in the upper right corner, even if the logo is then turned relative to all other normal stud logos.

Is there a way to include the logo here too?
RE: electric stud logo
As I already tried to explain at the PT, the logo is rendered by the programs such as LDView or LDPE. None of the studs we ship comes with a logo hard-coded in. Also because right now there are five logos available:

https://wiki.ldraw.org/wiki/Primitives_R...primitives

* Which one would you include?
* Which one reassembles the most the likeliness of the logos produced by the programs?
* What will happen if you turn off for example "Textured stud" in LDView?
* Poly-count?
* If we add a logo to Studel, shouldn't then we also add a logo to all other studs?

Long story short. It's the user choosing if he/her want's to add a logo to the stud prims - we offer the tools. You have to ask the coder if they are willing to add the Studel to their database of studs and handle the correct orientation.

w.
LEGO ergo sum
Stud logos are an application dependent feature. While we try to ensure that they appear correctly, they are not officially supported by the spec or the library.
I think the studel logo is the same as most normal solid studs (although some electric studs I've found have a slightly smaller logo).

I was mainly asking here because most LDraw app devs are also here...
(which program does the PT preview run on?)

Poly count shouldnt be that big of an issue, because there arent that much of them, but there are occasions of parts with mixed studs, which may look a bit off.

I know there are other studs without a logo (for example the truncated studs, but these are rotated in all directions), but this one only has this one orientation.
(2024-01-22, 18:06)Rene Rechthaler Wrote: I think the studel logo is the same as most normal solid studs (although some electric studs I've found have a slightly smaller logo).

I don't know about other programs, but LDView's stud logo functionality is very dumb right now. It detects "stud.dat" and creates a new version that includes a logo texture on the disk if that setting is enabled. It could be adjusted to support a stud logo on studel.dat files.

(2024-01-22, 18:06)Rene Rechthaler Wrote: I was mainly asking here because most LDraw app devs are also here...
(which program does the PT preview run on?)

As far as I know, PT preview thumbnails are generated with LDView with stud logos disabled.

(2024-01-22, 18:06)Rene Rechthaler Wrote: Poly count shouldnt be that big of an issue, because there arent that much of them, but there are occasions of parts with mixed studs, which may look a bit off.

Having polygon-based logos on electric studs would (IMO) be very bad.

(2024-01-22, 18:06)Rene Rechthaler Wrote: I know there are other studs without a logo (for example the truncated studs, but these are rotated in all directions), but this one only has this one orientation.

IMO, if we want programs like LDView to show a stud logo on other parts that stud.dat, then there is probably a better way to do it. LDView does not show stud logos on hollow Technic studs either, and I have never heard anyone complain about that. (That situation is a lot more complicated due to the fact that the geometry that the texture would need to draw on is not part of the stud.)
Hm, I dont use LDView that much (except fot the PT version)...
The hollow technic stud (stud2) has a small logo inside (also in PT version, with "toggle stud logos" --> what else is included there?).

For the poly count: I meant to use the standard line-based version (logo.dat)

Quote:It could be adjusted to support a stud logo on studel.dat files.
how would that go? how would that look like on parts?
(2024-01-22, 18:31)Travis Cobbs Wrote: As far as I know, PT preview thumbnails are generated with LDView with stud logos disabled.

This is correct and remain so.
(2024-01-22, 18:31)Travis Cobbs Wrote: It could be adjusted to support a stud logo on studel.dat files.

There's even some parts with a similar layout of the logo.

now that you mention that part: I checked it on PT and the two normal studs are oriented wrong (is that enough to rework it again?)
and this part needs an assembly with body and bottom in the same color for the trans-lightblue variants...
should these special variants with resisted contacts be body-colorable (body is always trans-lightblue) or contact-colorable (there are red, yellow and white contacts)?
what about the internals? they are visible then...
I think the quickest solution to adding a logo to your studel.dat instances would be to simply
edit that file and add one of the provided logos
https://wiki.ldraw.org/wiki/Primitives_R...primitives
to it.

For example, to get a logo mimicked by a line-drawing
which becomes visible in LDView but not in a 3D rendering:

1 16 0 -4 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 logo.dat

Or, to get a real 3D object, use instead

1 16 0 -4 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 logo5.dat

which then would look in LDView like this

[Image: attachment.php?aid=11033]

and also would appear in 3D renderings.

Adding logos to all of our parts manually would be not desirable.

You can centrally put it into the global stud primitives (stud.dat, stud2.dat, studel.dat) and - voila - will see them everywhere.

What CAN be corrected is the placement of studs in a part. It could be that it is oriented wrongly so that the logo appears
wrongly oriented. Correcting this for all files would be tedious, but maybe you only have small handful of them which you
are using right now, then a manual correction of stud orientation of course is possible there.

EDIT: I just noticed that studel.dat already contains a comment explaining exactly this.
It additionally informs about the logo orientation on studel.dat, which is WRONG in my above description.
See the comment in studel.dat for further details.

Attached Files
.png   studel_with_3d_logo.png (Size: 14.37 KB / Downloads: 34)
hm, that discussion is already over (the part has been released now)...
also there is now a !HELP at the top if someone wants to add them manually.
btw: the rotation in your part is wrong, if the logo is upright, the electric contact is at the top right quarter.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »