Braille Bricks descriptions

Braille Bricks descriptions
I've been trying to wrap my head around the LEGO braille bricks, and how we should describe them.  
https://library.ldraw.org/tracker/33567

The inventory so far looks like this, but non of the sites have complete info yet.

It's pretty clear that we need to have some sort of standard here.
  • Where should the word "Braille" be placed?
  • How do we describe the physical stud pattern?
  • Should they all have their different language in the description? Many are common, and other are unique.
  • Should we include the Braille Unicode character?
  • How do we describe all the language specific letters, and symbols?
  • Keywords?

My suggestion is this:
"Brick 2 x 4 Braille [stud position] with [language] "[printed pattern]" Pattern"

Steffen suggested this, on 60198p01:
"Brick 2 x 4 with 1 Stud Braille Dots-1 ⠁ A 1"

Rene used this on 60198p01:
"Brick Braille 2 x 4 with 1 Stud (DOTS-1) with A1 Pattern"
RE: Braille Bricks descriptions
and which way should the print go if sideways like normal bricks? These are always used upright (as it is now) so that the pattern is correct...
I would like to see the parts rotation aligned with the other bricks, with the pattern on the right side.

About the description i would like to suggest:

"Brick 2 x 4 Braille [DOTS code] with "[printed pattern]" Pattern"

I think, it should align with normal bricks description. Therefore is must be Brick 2 x 4. Then Braille should be added cause this is the first qualifier for a special Brick Type. Followed with the Dots Number and an additional pattern qualifier.
In my eyes there is no need for the UniCode character as the Dots system is quite simple. If we should decide to add it anyway I would suggest to add it in round brackets after the DOTS code. As the DOTS code is just a code there is no need to add the language qulifier.
The pattern should be added as usual.

/Max
(2024-01-12, 22:03)Max Martin Richter Wrote: As the DOTS code is just a code there is no need to add the language qulifier.

But the same code has different meanings in different languages. We need to have it, if you want to spell out a correct word in German.
Look at the division symbol, three different braille codes, but the same print.
And they use different code to indicate capital letters and to indicate numbers.
(2024-01-13, 8:17)Magnus Forsberg Wrote: But the same code has different meanings in different languages. We need to have it, if you want to spell out a correct word in German.
Look at the division symbol, three different braille codes, but the same print.
And they use different code to indicate capital letters and to indicate numbers.

The DOTS code represents only the order of the Dots and has no meaning for any language just like the Unicode symbol.
As long as we don’t write an explicit meaning, we don’t need a language qualifier.
Braille does not have capital letters. They use a special braille character in front of a letter to indicate the capital meaning.

/Max
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »