Ring primitive update

Ring primitive update
In order to align all ring primitives to the"ring" vice "rin" or "ri" naming and prevent 100s of parts having to pass through the PT, I intend to do the following:
- Create new "ring" primitives and submit them to the PT (these will be fastracked if already CC BY 4)
- Obsolete the old "rin" and "ri" primitives and submit those to the PT (these will also be fastracked if already CC BY 4)
- Certify those 2 groups of primitives via the normal process
- Once certified, update all the affected parts to the non-obsolete primitive via manual database action. The official parts will be flagged as receiving a minor edit and will automatically be included in the next part update.

Since this circumvents the normal PT process for some parts, I'd like to ensure there are no major objections to this plan.
RE: Ring primitive update
(2024-01-11, 16:27)Orion Pobursky Wrote: In order to align all ring primitives to the"ring" vice "rin" or "ri" naming and prevent 100s of parts having to pass through the PT, I intend to do the following:
- Create new "ring" primitives and submit them to the PT
- Obsolete the old "rin" and "ri" primitives and submit those to the PT (these will be fastracked if already CC BY 4)
- Once certified, update all the affected parts to the non-obsolete primitive via manual database action. The official parts will be flagged as receiving a minor edit and will automatically be included in the next part update.

Since this circumvents the normal PT process for some parts, I'd like to ensure there are no major objections to this plan.

I'm fine.

w.
LEGO ergo sum
(2024-01-11, 16:30)Willy Tschager Wrote: I'm fine.

w.

+1
It's 166 CC_BY_4 and 73 CC_BY_2 (which will need to be regenerated) primitives total. Based on this number, I intend to do all of the CC_BY_4 parts via automated action.
(2024-01-11, 16:30)Willy Tschager Wrote: I'm fine.

w.

that's the most straight forward way
(2024-01-11, 16:27)Orion Pobursky Wrote: In order to align all ring primitives to the"ring" vice "rin" or "ri" naming and prevent 100s of parts having to pass through the PT, I intend to do the following:
- Create new "ring" primitives and submit them to the PT (these will be fastracked if already CC BY 4)
- Obsolete the old "rin" and "ri" primitives and submit those to the PT (these will also be fastracked if already CC BY 4)

Sounds good to me
Getting rid of the inconsistency will be a relief!  I agree on the process.
(2024-01-11, 16:53)Max Martin Richter Wrote: +1

+1
Here's the revised plan that will allow everything to be updated in one update:
- Finish reauthoring the CC_BY_2 rings and submit them.
- Just prior to the next update after the above actions are complete the following automated actions will occur:
- Copy the old CC_BY_4 rings to the new filenames (much like a "~Moved to"), submit to tracker, and fast track
- Obsolete the old rings, submit them to the tracker, and fast track
Note: Unlike a "~Moved to" history will be maintained on old filename in addition to the normal practice of copying to the new filenames
- Update all affected official parts, add history lines, submit to tracker, and fast track
- Update all unofficial parts, this action will not clear existing votes not will a history line be added.

Note:
I will do a test run on the dev server and post the ldrawunf.zip for review prior to final execution of automated action.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »