Bricktown '85 - classic 80s building generator

Bricktown '85 - classic 80s building generator
Hello 👋

I've created a small webapp that generates LEGO houses, 1980s style!

It's a bit like one of those AI image generators, except it uses traditional Procedural Generation techniques, not AI.  As well as displaying the model you can zoom, spin around etc, and you can download the LDraw source to edit the house in your favourite tool.

I should say that it's probably fairly useless at this point and it does have a few issues:
  • There are quite a lot of cases where it overlaps bricks, especially on a roof
  • Bricks on a roof are sometimes not interleaved
  • Many of the houses it generates are a bit boring! But keep clicking and you'll probably find something a bit funky!

This is only the first public version, but I'll be adding features and fixing bugs and I'll keep this thread updated with notable changes.

https://bricktown85-b3b5723d03e1.herokuapp.com/

Enjoy!
RE: Bricktown '85 - classic 80s building generator
(2023-11-27, 10:38)Mark Wellas Wrote: Hello 👋

I've created a small webapp that generates LEGO houses, 1980s style!

It's a bit like one of those AI image generators, except it uses traditional Procedural Generation techniques, not AI.  As well as displaying the model you can zoom, spin around etc, and you can download the LDraw source to edit the house in your favourite tool.

I should say that it's probably fairly useless at this point and it does have a few issues:
  • There are quite a lot of cases where it overlaps bricks, especially on a roof
  • Bricks on a roof are sometimes not interleaved
  • Many of the houses it generates are a bit boring! But keep clicking and you'll probably find something a bit funky!

This is only the first public version, but I'll be adding features and fixing bugs and I'll keep this thread updated with notable changes.

https://bricktown85-b3b5723d03e1.herokuapp.com/

Enjoy!
Nice Wink
I was about to report some top of roof overlap, but I now see that you're already aware of the issue...
Why are the windows and doors inverted?
some strange things:
Seed 557049066788 gives a house with an open roof
Seed 285491214802 has intersecting windows and walls
Seed 545581047259 too, and non-alternating roof bricks^

aside from that, nice generator!
It happened to me a couple of times to have a house without doors or with windows and bricks overlapped.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks for the feedback! The open roof is an interesting one, it happens when too many walls are made gable walls, and there is no sloping roof to reduce the size of the outline of build on that level and higher. It does detect these cases and stops building. I originally planned to do a flat roof with plates but could also do something fun with the space too.

There's a few reasons causing the overlapping bricks and walls which I must sort out.

The windows and doors pointing onwards is another interesting one: basically it doesn't know which side of the wall is the outside.

Hopefully I'll get these fixed before too long  Big Grin
Despite the small errors this is really cool for ideation!
[Image: Pl9qWko.png]
https://bricktown85-b3b5723d03e1.herokua...8285366443
Upgrades!  

Houses with multi-floors (up to 5) are now generated  Cool

Fixed a load of bugs:
  • You should see much more varied building footprints now
  • Doors/windows placed in solid walls is fixed
  • Overlapping roof ridge bricks is fixed

Roofs not on the top-floor sometimes overlap with walls.  So 2 steps forward, 1 back  Blush

URL is same as before: https://bricktown85-b3b5723d03e1.herokuapp.com

[Image: YLsxls8.png]
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »