3023a?

3023a?
Hi,

Upon downloading the latest part pack the 3023 part appears to have been split, I now have 3023a in my parts list instead. This is a real pain as it no longer has a simple 3023 (1x2 plate). All my previous models now have to be updated, but even worse the conversion tool for bricklink parts list no longer will recognize this so have to be manually amended, which is a huge frustration. Why has this change happened? It seems pedantic in the extreme. Is there a way to rename parts in the parts list simply? I would love to get rid of all the "a" variants as they simply mess up the MLCad 2 Bricklink Converter. 

Many thanks
RE: 3023a?
3023.dat should still work as it's just a "Moved To" to 3023b. This happens when LEGO makes a mold change and doesn't update the part number. Not super common but it does happen.
(2023-07-04, 21:39)Orion Pobursky Wrote: 3023.dat should still work as it's just a "Moved To" to 3023b. This happens when LEGO makes a mold change and doesn't update the part number. Not super common but it does happen.

Thanks - I see it as a "b" - but its such a common plate - is the differential that important that we need two part records for a simple 1x2 plate? No other simple plate has this issue. How do I edit the parts list to remove/edit the "3023b" back to just plain simple "3023"?

Can the authors do this would save so much time with old models and importing part lists..
Sorry if my 3023a caused such a big mess, but thats the old version of the 1x2 (like the waffle plates of the bigger ones).

Maybe it gets clearer if 3023a gets certified (Holly-Wood still has his hold).
I'm still confused on what the issue is. 

3023 can still be used and points to the correct file.
(2023-07-06, 16:58)Orion Pobursky Wrote: I'm still confused on what the issue is. 

3023 can still be used and points to the correct file.

I think he's mainly concerned about how it broke 3rd party tools which might be slow to update (if ever).

But I agree this is not a LDraw problem Smile

I'm happy he reported it though, as it made me realise it also broke over 40 part snapping shadow files (which I will correct).
(2023-07-07, 22:10)Roland Melkert Wrote: ... it also broke over 40 part snapping shadow files (which I will correct).

Could you please tell us why a single renumbering has such a big impact?
(2023-07-08, 7:36)Magnus Forsberg Wrote: Could you please tell us why a single renumbering has such a big impact?

There are lots of parts which are basically a 1x2 plate/tile with some attachment, but they aren't using a common subpart.

So I used the SNAP_INCL meta to add 3023.dat's anti studs to them, but the meta is non recursive so the moved to nullified the inclusion.

Similar changes won't go unnoticed in the future as I added a check for it to the new shadow validation tool.

I'm also considering depreciating SNAP_INCL as it causes potential maintenance problems while you just as easily could've add native antistuds.
I got a bit scared too once I noticed the snapping of good old 1x2 plate didn't work anymore.
Only then today doing some modelling again to notice 3023 was moved to 3023b....
All models that use 3023 still work fine though as to be expected, since 3023.dat still exists.
Jaco van der Molen
lpub.binarybricks.nl

.jpg   folder.JPG (Size: 17.98 KB / Downloads: 43)

Yeah - the reason is that all of my tools that I use after MLCad do not recognize 3023b. It is causing me, and I guess many others, issues with StudiO, 3Dpub, exports to Bricklink and just about every other tool I use.

I have both 3023.dat & 3023b in my parts files folder (image provided) yet only 3023b shows in the parts selection panel, so I can't use the old part. I just need it (3023.dat) to show in my parts panel and all will be solved... I have obviously updated my parts list too, to no effect. It really is a huge issue for me, see pics.

If you are not able can you please advise on how I can amend my parts list to change this part number, please? I just need a 3023 (not a 3023a & 3023b) to show in my select panel.. I should say I am not a power user (I'm rather too old and not exactly tech savvy to start delving too deeply into the mechanics behind the magic) so a simple procedure would be much appreciated.

If I was to put in my pennies worth, i'd have to ask why we need to cover all the different variants of parts. Is MLCad a design tool or a catalogue? If its the former, then I see no reason why physically identical parts need multiple entries. All it does is make this great tool frustrating to use with other design software.  

Thanks again.
I have a work around now, but it is clumsy.

Every time I select a 3023b from the parts panel and place it, I can them modify it to a standard 3023 with a right click.

For some reason the 3023 part appears in the drop down modify list but not in my parts panel images or plate list.

Hope this helps others or future releases. Very odd that it features in one section but not the main menu.
(2023-07-31, 23:04)Steve Wrote: For some reason the 3023 part appears in the drop down modify list but not in my parts panel images or plate list.

I'm not sure as I haven't used MLCad in some time, but you might fix the whole issue by editing 3023.dat (in the parts folder of ldraw).

Change its first line from:
0 ~Moved To 3023b

to something like
0 Plate  1 x  2 (old)

Because I think MLCad excludes 'moved' parts from the main parts palette.

You might need to regenerate parts.lst after as I'm not sure how/if MLCad detects changes.

ps:
The library itself is not going to be 'fixed' as it is not broken, those tools you mentioned need to update their mapping files.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »