LDPE Rookie trying to accomplish a simple task

Rookie trying to accomplish a simple task
I'm very new to LDPartsEditor (<1 day), but I seem to be missing how to perform what seems to be an easy task. Namely, how to split a given triangle/quadrangle along a specific axis. 

For example, given the following part, I simply want to make the yellow side (right) look like the orange side (left). I tried to combine two triangles into a quadrangle but then couldn't see how to divide that in the manner desired. Tried splitting a triangle, adding vertices... 

[Image: LDPE-Example.png]

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
RE: Rookie trying to accomplish a simple task
(2022-12-12, 10:39)Robert B Wrote: I'm very new to LDPartsEditor (<1 day), but I seem to be missing how to perform what seems to be an easy task. Namely, how to split a given triangle/quadrangle along a specific axis. 

For example, given the following part, I simply want to make the yellow side (right) look like the orange side (left). I tried to combine two triangles into a quadrangle but then couldn't see how to divide that in the manner desired. Tried splitting a triangle, adding vertices... 

[Image: LDPE-Example.png]

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

This is not the easiest task to Doo in ldpe. What I would do for that is too draw edge lines on the vertical sides, select them then action split. Remove the edge lines, set the new vertices at the same height using action set XYZ. Rearrange the triangles then you're done (phew !).
Maybe another parts author has an easier way?
Given that the vertices half way are on all the same hight:

* I would draw a quad (looking from above) so that is 90 degree to the current triangles
* Set y of the quad to the hight of the vertices
* Select the quad and the triangles
* Isecalc
* You'll get vertices at the correct intersections
* Use those vertices to redraw the triangels
LEGO ergo sum
(2022-12-12, 16:00)Willy Tschager Wrote: Given that the vertices half way are on all the same hight:

* I would draw a quad (looking from above) so that is 90 degree to the current triangles
* Isecalc
Indeed, a good method that I use often, but for some reason I didn't thought of it     Blush
(2022-12-12, 16:00)Willy Tschager Wrote: Given that the vertices half way are on all the same hight:

* Isecalc

That’s how I do it. Sometimes I use Isecalc and sometimes Intersector for this task.
The first one is easy to make/split. Choose the single vertex A, and then under Actions choose Merge to nearest edge and split.

The second is a little bit more tricky. Select vertices B and C and then press Alt V to create a new vertex between them.
But it has to be adjusted, since it is created in the exact middle between B and C. Then repeat and adjust for the others.

.png   Image 008.png (Size: 34.94 KB / Downloads: 32)

Or, delete all the yellow triangles, position the Manipulator in A and copy / paste the orange triangles mirrored.
Use Actions, Scale selection and set -1 on the axis of your choise. Unselect the other axis.
You could also just draw out the figure you want using regular (type 2) lines, then press the Calculate Line Intersection Points button and then manually draw new tris/quads from the resulting vertices.
Thank you all!  

I'd like to try each of the suggested methods if for no other reason than to learn what is possible. I can't say I comprehended everything on the first go round but the info provided is an immense help!

PS - I'm reserving my right to ask follow-up questions.  Big Grin
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »