Moved to's for file outside of the parts folder

Moved to's for file outside of the parts folder
Files outside the parts folder (i.e. anything in /s, p, and the p subfolders) should never be used in model fiiles. Therefore for file outside of the parts folder, I thin that if we need to "move" a file we should simply make a new file, update all the references to the old file to point to the new file, and empty the old file. No "moved to" required.

We do have library precedence for moved to's in the p and s folders (mostly in the p folders)

Thoughts?
RE: Moved to's for file outside of the parts folder
(2022-11-16, 2:41)Orion Pobursky Wrote: Files outside the parts folder (i.e. anything in /s, p, and the p subfolders) should never be used in model fiiles. Therefore for file outside of the parts folder, I thin that if we need to "move" a file we should simply make a new file, update all the references to the old file to point to the new file, and empty the old file. No "moved to" required.

We do have library precedence for moved to's in the p and s folders (mostly in the p folders)

Thoughts?
I am mostly OK, but there is a farfetched case that could happen: someone somewhere made a custom part using one of these obsoletized subparts/primitives. I don't think we need to support backwards compatibility that far.
(2022-11-16, 2:41)Orion Pobursky Wrote: Thoughts?

How about the case of the ring primitives?
We decided to not rework and instead use Move to-files for many of these prims when 8.3 filenames were abandoned.

We need to keep that possibility.
(2022-11-16, 16:15)Magnus Forsberg Wrote: We need to keep that possibility.

Do we though? We're still having authors submit duplicate ring files because of the confusion this causes. I think we should pick a standard and obsolete the old files. I realize that it affects a lot of parts but just because it's difficult doesn't mean it not the right answer
(2022-11-16, 17:00)Orion Pobursky Wrote: Do we though? We're still having authors submit duplicate ring files because of the confusion this causes. I think we should pick a standard and obsolete the old files. I realize that it affects a lot of parts but just because it's difficult doesn't mean it not the right answer
If it can be done with a reasonable amount of work it would be a good thing (said one of the "culprit" authors Big Grin)
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »