Legalization & Access

Legalization & Access
Am I allowed to 3D print any of these lego models? I don't plan on breaking the terms of service, just print out a specific part and change the coloring and print a sticker on it. I ask this because the file is a .dat and I can't seem to convert it into .stl or .obj for printing. Am I breaking the terms of service or am I just not doing something correctly.

P.s. File is 24496 (Minifig Hat Ninja Wrap)
.png   24496.png (Size: 1.89 KB / Downloads: 45)
.png   24496.png (Size: 1.89 KB / Downloads: 45)
RE: Legalization & Access
(2022-11-12, 1:07)Biddiscombe Wrote: Am I allowed to 3D print any of these lego models? I don't plan on breaking the terms of service, just print out a specific part and change the coloring and print a sticker on it. I ask this because the file is a .dat and I can't seem to convert it into .stl or .obj for printing. Am I breaking the terms of service or am I just not doing something correctly.

P.s. File is 24496 (Minifig Hat Ninja Wrap)

You are not restricted to do that, looking at the license, so pretty adamant it would be fine. Also, you can convert .dat to .stl using export feature in LDView and also you can convert it to .obj using export in BL Studio Part Designer. 

Wouldn't say tho that printing LDraw models is anything even near of a good ideas - project exists first and mostly for digital use, like making renders of Lego MOCs or sets, and is not optimized for printing - mesh may be disjointed, and it is not high poly (printed part would likely have clear polygonal look to it)
As Max said, you are free to convert to print. That said, LDraw files are optimized for screen viewing and 3D prints of STLs converted from DAT files mesh too tightly with real LEGO pieces.
(2022-11-12, 1:31)Max Murtazin Wrote: You are not restricted to do that, looking at the license, so pretty adamant it would be fine. Also, you can convert .dat to .stl using export feature in LDView and also you can convert it to .obj using export in BL Studio Part Designer. 

Wouldn't say tho that printing LDraw models is anything even near of a good ideas - project exists first and mostly for digital use, like making renders of Lego MOCs or sets, and is not optimized for printing - mesh may be disjointed, and it is not high poly (printed part would likely have clear polygonal look to it)

Thanks! This was incredibly helpful, and I think I can make a few workarounds to the low-poly issue. Thank you!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »