Requirements for applying textures to parts?

Requirements for applying textures to parts?
Hey, everyone. I’m new to adding custom textures to .DAT files from LDraw. I would like to know what programs are needed and a detailed tutorial on how to apply the decals.

I’m trying to apply custom faces into this subfile, but I want to learn how to do it.

Part 31512 - Powerpuff Girls Face
RE: Requirements for applying textures to parts?
(2022-09-26, 20:06)Matthew Coleman Wrote: Hey, everyone. I’m new to adding custom textures to .DAT files from LDraw. I would like to know what programs are needed and a detailed tutorial on how to apply the decals.

I’m trying to apply custom faces into this subfile, but I want to learn how to do it.

Part 31512 - Powerpuff Girls Face

Generally, everything you need are texture, model, text editor, bit of math and LDView
(2022-09-26, 20:54)Max Murtazin Wrote: Generally, everything you need are texture, model, text editor, bit of math and LDView

Okay, but I need a tutorial on how to do this.
(2022-09-27, 3:08)Matthew Coleman Wrote: Okay, but I need a tutorial on how to do this.

Have you read the texture mapping specs? 
https://www.ldraw.org/texmap-spec.html
(2022-09-27, 7:37)Max Murtazin Wrote: Have you read the texture mapping specs? 
https://www.ldraw.org/texmap-spec.html

Yes, but I had a hard time understanding it. Like I said, I’m a newbie at this.
(2022-09-27, 13:51)Matthew Coleman Wrote: Yes, but I had a hard time understanding it. Like I said, I’m a newbie at this.

Despite the spec being quite old, TEXMAP parts are just now starting to trickle their way into the library in any meaningful amounts. This means that there aren't any really good tutorials at the moment. This is something that is on my radar but I'll admit to limited time and higher priorities regarding the LDraw website.

The above written, if anyone wants to step up and write a tutorial, create a wiki account and send me an email to activate it.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »