LDPE 1.8.57 Released (CC BY 4.0, subfile selections, file location for linked inlining)

1.8.57 Released (CC BY 4.0, subfile selections, file location for linked inlining)
Hi,

another month, another LDPE release.

[Image: imgDuke2.png]

As always, you can download LDPE from this page:

http://nilsschmidt1337.github.io/ldparteditor/

Changelog:

(3 new features and 2 bug fixes)

With this release you will be able to...
  • ...use the upgraded "!LICENSE" / "!HISTORY" meta command to support the new CC BY 4.0 agreement.
  • ...know the name of the selected subfile if there is only one subfile selected (shown in status bar).
  • ...benefit from the fact that linked inlining will happen in the folder the current file was saved in (except for project files).

The following critical issues were fixed:

1. Rare error while creating a subfile from 3D selection.
  2. "Show selection in 3D view" selected vertices from non-subfile surfaces and lines.

The program was tested intensively with "real world" files.
However, something can go wrong in about 140.000 lines of code.

Installation on Windows:

1. Download and extract LDPartEditor_win32_x64.zip
  2. Run LDPartEditor-1.8.57.msi
  3. Start LDPartEditor from the start menu
Installation on Linux:

1. Download and extract LDPartEditor_linux_x64.zip
  2. Install ldparteditor_1.8.57-1_amd64.deb
  3. Start LDPartEditor from the menu or via launcher
Installation on Mac OS X:

1. Download and extract LDPartEditor_mac_x64.zip
  2. Mount LDPartEditor-1.8.57.dmg
  3. Drag LDPartEditor.app to the Applications folder
  4. Copy ldparteditor.sh to your home folder
        4a. Open a Terminal.app and run ./ldparteditor.sh
        4b. Or open a Terminal.app and run /Applications/LDPartEditor.app/Contents/MacOS/LDPartEditor

I listen carefully to your requests and possible complaints. Please leave me a message, with your thoughts and wishes to further improve the software.

LDPE is a 3D CAD application: The overall system requirements are higher. While I recommend to use a powerful 64-bit multicore system, it could be possible, to run LDPE on older machines as well.

System Requirements:

Minimum System Requirements:
  • OpenGL 2.1 compatible Graphics Card
  • Operating System (64-bit): Windows [7 or newer], Linux [e.g. Ubuntu Linux >=14.4], Mac OS X [>=10.6]
  • CPU: Multicore-Processor e.g. Intel Core 2 Duo or AMD Athlon II (>2.0Ghz)
  • RAM: 4GB
  • Video-Memory: 1 GB
  • Free Disk Space: 100 MB
Recommended Requirements:
  • Operating System (64bit): Windows 7,8,10, Linux [e.g. Ubuntu Linux >=14.4], Mac OS X [>=10.6]
  • OpenGL 3.3 compatible Graphics Card
  • CPU: Multicore-Processor with 4 cores (or more)
  • RAM: >4 GB
  • Video-Memory: >1 GB
  • Free Disk Space: 512 MB
  • For a faster start, LDPartEditor and the LDraw™ library should be installed on an SSD.
RE: 1.8.57 Released (CC BY 4.0, subfile selections, file location for linked inlining)
(2022-06-06, 8:31)Nils Schmidt Wrote: use the upgraded "!LICENSE" / "!HISTORY" meta command to support the new CC BY 4.0 agreement.

Since I'm at work, can you (or someone else who's install this version) explain the the change is for !HISTORY statements? While I have mentioned what !LICENSE will change to, I haven't issued any formal guidance on !HISTORY so I don't want any conflicts.
!LICENSE and !HISTORY lines
(2022-06-06, 14:32)Orion Pobursky Wrote: Since I'm at work, can you (or someone else who's install this version) explain the the change is for !HISTORY statements? While I have mentioned what !LICENSE will change to, I haven't issued any formal guidance on !HISTORY so I don't want any conflicts.

Hi Orion,
I added these two additional !LICENSE lines and modified !HISTORY in the following way:

Code:
0 !LICENSE Licensed under CC BY 2.0 and CC BY 4.0 : see CAreadme.txt
0 !LICENSE Licensed under CC BY 4.0 : see CAreadme.txt

Code:
0 !HISTORY YYYY-MM-DD [UserName] [4.0] Free text description of change
or
0 !HISTORY YYYY-MM-DD {RealName} [4.0] Free text description of change

"Additionally the optional [4.0] tag in the !HISTORY lines will signify
which edits are covered by CC BY 4.0. Absence of this tag implies the edit is
covered by CC By 2.0"
RE: !LICENSE and !HISTORY lines
(2022-06-06, 16:31)Nils Schmidt Wrote:
Code:
0 !HISTORY YYYY-MM-DD [UserName] [4.0] Free text description of change
or
0 !HISTORY YYYY-MM-DD {RealName} [4.0] Free text description of change

"Additionally the optional [4.0] tag in the !HISTORY lines will signify
which edits are covered by CC BY 4.0. Absence of this tag implies the edit is
covered by CC By 2.0"

Ok. This was in my initial draft, but I'm not sure this will be the final implementation. I have to do some research on exactly what is require as adding the [4.0] tag may not be needed. Instead I may just implement a hard date after which all edits will have to be 4.0. No need to immediately remove this but it will likely change.

Note: The !LICENSE statements are fine. Those likely won't change between what I put out in the LDCad thread and the final product.
!HISTORY [4.0] lines
(2022-06-06, 16:54)Orion Pobursky Wrote: Ok. This was in my initial draft, but I'm not sure this will be the final implementation. I have to do some research on exactly what is require as adding the [4.0] tag may not be needed. Instead I may just implement a hard date after which all edits will have to be 4.0. No need to immediately remove this but it will likely change.

Note: The !LICENSE statements are fine. Those likely won't change between what I put out in the LDCad thread and the final product.

I can easily change it, if required. Currently, the [4.0] tag is implemented conditionally / optionally.

Ctrl+H
inserts a !HISTORY line in LDPE.

If the user had picked the 4.0 license in the LDPE settings, then the !HISTORY line is

Code:
0 !HISTORY YYYY-MM-DD [Username] [4.0]

otherwise it is still
Code:
0 !HISTORY YYYY-MM-DD [Username]

So LDPE does not really enforce the new tag on new or existing !HISTORY lines.
RE: !HISTORY [4.0] lines
Like I wrote, this is easy to manually fix but the fact that it's option makes it a non-issue.
RE: 1.8.57 Released (CC BY 4.0, subfile selections, file location for linked inlining)
May I ask for a feature that would enable fixing one of three axis? It's not very comfortable to rotate model simultaneously in all 3 axis, and I'll be glad if I was able to lock one of them in place, enabling for similar viewport as in Blender, Studio, LDD and other 3d software
Keys for fixed viewport rotation?
(2022-06-19, 18:57)Max Murtazin Wrote: May I ask for a feature that would enable fixing one of three axis? It's not very comfortable to rotate model simultaneously in all 3 axis, and I'll be glad if I was able to lock one of them in place, enabling for similar viewport as in Blender, Studio, LDD and other 3d software

What keys do you want for rotating around X and Y?

edit:
I implemented now Shift for snapped rotation around Y.
and Alt for snapped rotation around X.

The Ctrl key is already there for fixed rotation around the Z axis of the viewport.
RE: 1.8.57 Released: Problem with text find?
I don't seem to be able to do a text find/replace, there is no button to activate the search. It used to work, but this is not a feature I use very often, so I don't know when it stopped working.

Attached Files
.jpg   Capture.JPG (Size: 26.93 KB / Downloads: 47)
RE: 1.8.57 Offset problem with Ytruder mirror
When the source lines come from an offset subpart, Ytruder "symmetry across plane" doesn't create the correct result.
See this screen capture:

The first try directly uses lines from the offset subpart and fails, the second one first copies the lines and produces the desired result.
Files attached to reproduce issue.
(projection on plane also fails)

Attached Files
.dat   80690s03.dat (Size: 18.38 KB / Downloads: 1)
.dat   testytruder.dat (Size: 5.04 KB / Downloads: 1)
RE: 1.8.57 Released - Hidden lines
I saw something strange today editing s\11203s01.
I selected the 4 studs in the 3D view and hit ghost button (Hide). They hide.

But if I then insert a new line in the text editor something strange happen. Different lines are maked as hidden, but that's not correct.

And if I then comment out a line, more strange things happen.

I've seen similar things many times, but couldn't reproduce reliably so I didn't report... But yes it happens. I solve this by un hiding all then re-hide again 😔
Will be solved today. Other buttons are also gone.
(2022-06-30, 11:40)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: I don't seem to be able to do a text find/replace, there is no button to activate the search. It used to work, but this is not a feature I use very often, so I don't know when it stopped working.

Thanks. This will be solved in the next version today (#907).
The "expand area" buttons are also gone and will come back today, with the release of 1.5.58.
(2022-06-30, 22:07)Magnus Forsberg Wrote: I saw something strange today editing s\11203s01.

But if I then insert a new line in the text editor something strange happen. Different lines are maked as hidden, but that's not correct.

And if I then comment out a line, more strange things happen.

Thanks, Magnus! I reproduced the problem.
I created an issue (#914).
RE: 1.8.57 Offset problem with Ytruder mirror
(2022-06-30, 13:52)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: When the source lines come from an offset subpart, Ytruder "symmetry across plane" doesn't create the correct result.
See this screen capture:
The first try directly uses lines from the offset subpart and fails, the second one first copies the lines and produces the desired result.
Files attached to reproduce issue.
(projection on plane also fails)

Thanks! I created issue #915.

edit: This will be solved with version 1.8.59.
Solved in 1.8.59: Different lines are maked as hidden in the text editor.
(2022-06-30, 22:07)Magnus Forsberg Wrote: I saw something strange today editing s\11203s01.

But if I then insert a new line in the text editor something strange happen.
Different lines are maked as hidden, but that's not correct.

Hi Magnus,

I solved the issue you mentioned above. It will be shipped with the release of 1.8.59 (next version).
The fix was easy and does not have any side effects.

Cheers,
Nils
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »