MPD file too big?

MPD file too big?
I've been working on a very large model, and now the MPD file won't render.  
The programs now just lock up or crash.  >__<  

Is there a maximum size to an MPD file? The one I've been working on is now 150 KB... 

I've been using LDView for the most part. This program now crashes, whenever I try to open my model. 
The other programs I've tried to use do nothing. 

Please advise. 
Thanks, 
Franklin
RE: MPD file too big?
In case I need to slice up this large MPD file into several smaller MPD files, this leads to a new question -- 

Given a specific sub-model within one MPD file, how do I reference (i.e. call; i.e. use) that sub-model from within any other MPD or LDR file, please? 

Thanks, 
Franklin
Franklin, do you have the possibility to share the file?
(2021-11-27, 10:36)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: Franklin, do you have the possibility to share the file?

Not any more -- I've already split that file in half.  One file for the airlock; the other file for the rest of the cargo deck. (It's for a tramp freighter starship.) 

I've posted a crude "mock up" (crafted from "box.dat" primitives) of the airlock into the other file, to continue working on my tramp freighter starship. 

(Edit)...

Parts List for airlock.mpd (1,867 parts)
Parts List for cargo-deck.ldr (7,150 parts)

Ship has four (4) airlocks in the cargo deck, so...

7,150 + (4 * 1,867) = 7,150 + 7468 = 14,618

I had noticed that the cargo deck's file has been rendering slower. And it still does, even though I've cut out the airlock's models from it...

Franklin
(2021-11-27, 1:51)Franklin W. Cain Wrote: I've been using LDView for the most part. This program now crashes, whenever I try to open my model. 
The other programs I've tried to use do nothing. 

Just as a note, setting LDView's "Memory usage" setting to "Medium" or "Low" in the General tab of its preferences may let it load a model that is otherwise too large.

Also, the size of the MPD file itself doesn't have any direct bearing on how much memory LDView will require to successfully load the file. What's more important is the total amount of geometry, as well as the size of individual parts. (For example, a single baseplate may use more or less memory than a bunch of bricks that add up to the same total number of triangles; I don't actually know if it is more or less.)
(2021-11-27, 12:26)Franklin W. Cain Wrote: Not any more -- I've already split that file in half.  One file for the airlock; the other file for the rest of the cargo deck. (It's for a tramp freighter starship.) 

I've posted a crude "mock up" (crafted from "box.dat" primitives) of the airlock into the other file, to continue working on my tramp freighter starship. 

(Edit)...

Parts List for airlock.mpd (1,867 parts)
Parts List for cargo-deck.ldr (7,150 parts)

Ship has four (4) airlocks in the cargo deck, so...

7,150 + (4 * 1,867) = 7,150 + 7468 = 14,618

I had noticed that the cargo deck's file has been rendering slower. And it still does, even though I've cut out the airlock's models from it...

Franklin

My biggest file so far was 3.9 MB with 12135 parts.
This model also had a lot of flexible parts (pneumatic hoses, cables, flex axles).
Could open it without problems.

Johann
If nothing goes right, go left.
(2021-11-27, 1:51)Franklin W. Cain Wrote: The other programs I've tried to use do nothing.

Does that include LDCad? if so I would be interested in the/a (similar) model used as it might indicate a bug.
(2021-11-29, 20:29)Roland Melkert Wrote: Does that include LDCad? if so I would be interested in the/a (similar) model used as it might indicate a bug.

Just to be thorough, I tried using LDCAD again today, and this time I was able to get one of mu files loaded right!  ^_^  (I have no idea what I was doing wrong the previous times.) 

Unfortunately, LDCAD isn't showing some of the pieces I've used. For example, for whatever reason, it does not show the 2x6 Tile... 

LDCAD... 

LDView...

What's wrong?  I know the DAT file exists for this part. So why isn't LDCAD showing it?  

(Edit)...
After toggling an option (to report missing files), I get this pop-up screen: 

(As an aside, it would be great to have an option / button to copy this info to the clipboard...)  

So, what happened? Why can LDView "see" these files, but LDCAD can not?

Thanks, 
Franklin
(2021-12-10, 21:06)Franklin W. Cain Wrote: So, what happened? Why can LDView "see" these files, but LDCAD can not? 

You probably only need to register the unofficial parts location.
http://www.melkert.net/LDCad/faq#faq_unoflib

LDView does see those because they are probably inside the 'unoffical' submap (besides the parts and p ones).

LDCad doesn't support that (yet), because it instead supports multiple libraries.

So it is easiest to use the ldrawunf.zip file as is as described in the above link, direct link to the zip:
https://www.ldraw.org/library/unofficial/ldrawunf.zip
(2021-12-10, 21:19)Roland Melkert Wrote: You probably only need to register the unofficial parts location.
http://www.melkert.net/LDCad/faq#faq_unoflib

LDView does see those because they are probably inside the 'unoffical' submap (besides the parts and p ones).

LDCad doesn't support that (yet), because it instead supports multiple libraries.

So it is easiest to use the ldrawunf.zip file as is as described in the above link, direct link to the zip:
https://www.ldraw.org/library/unofficial/ldrawunf.zip

Actually, I double-checked several of those "missing" parts -- they are all official; they have all been released.  

As an aside, I am _LOVING_ how quickly your program responds! I can click-and-drag my model so easily! (LDView is just lagging like crazy, on my restored mega-sized MPD file...) ^_^  

(Edit)... 
I noticed that my COMPLETE.ZIP was showing an older date, even though I had all of the subsequent releases as their own ZIP files. So I downloaded the newest COMPLETE.ZIP, and --VOILA!-- no more "missing parts."  
^_^  

Thanks, 
Franklin
(2021-12-10, 21:51)Franklin W. Cain Wrote: Actually, I double-checked several of those "missing" parts -- they are all official; they have all been released.  

As an aside, I am _LOVING_ how quickly your program responds! I can click-and-drag my model so easily! (LDView is just lagging like crazy, on my restored mega-sized MPD file...) ^_^  

(Edit)... 
I noticed that my COMPLETE.ZIP was showing an older date, even though I had all of the subsequent releases as their own ZIP files. So I downloaded the newest COMPLETE.ZIP, and --VOILA!-- no more "missing parts."  
^_^  

Thanks, 
Franklin

Did you get your mpd file(s) from any CAD software? Are your files include info about all colors available in LDraw? 

I ask, because I get mpd files from ldr format (using LDrawLoader for Three JS) and have strange info about licenses and all colors, although original ldr files (from LDCad) doesn't include them. I don't know whether mpd files always contain such info or it is added only by LDrawLoader.
(2022-05-14, 21:07)Lenny Wrote: Did you get your mpd file(s) from any CAD software? Are your files include info about all colors available in LDraw? 

I ask, because I get mpd files from ldr format (using LDrawLoader for Three JS) and have strange info about licenses and all colors, although original ldr files (from LDCad) doesn't include them. I don't know whether mpd files always contain such info or it is added only by LDrawLoader.

Those files are self contained, meaning it embedded all dependencies into the mpd file so it can be rendered (by javascript) without having a LDraw library installed.

Each "0 FILE ..." line indicates the start of a part copied from the library. It does so for all the parts it needs to draw the main model.

LDrawLoader (probably) does this so the file can be rendered by a web browser without having a local library installed or having to fetch all those part files from ldraw.org or some other source.
(2022-05-14, 21:14)Roland Melkert Wrote: LDrawLoader (probably) does this so the file can be rendered by a web browser without having a local library installed or having to fetch all those part files from ldraw.org or some other source.

This is why I chose Lasse's buildinginstructions.js over ldrloader for the LDraw.org renderer. I can tell it to fetch parts from the LDraw server.
(2022-05-15, 2:29)Orion Pobursky Wrote: This is why I chose Lasse's buildinginstructions.js over ldrloader for the LDraw.org renderer. I can tell it to fetch parts from the LDraw server.

This is not a problem for me - I created small game for my nephews and everything is served locally. I struggle with memory using and still search the way to reduce it, but thanks for tip with this buildinginstructions.js: "Generate [...] 3D models directly in the web browser." - it's good to have alternative Smile
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »