hollow stud not replaced by LGEO's one

hollow stud not replaced by LGEO's one
Hi,

I'm rendering a lot of part these days, and I only noticed recently that normal stud are replaced by LGEO's one but not hollowed stud.

I checkd old (2016) rendering of mine and find some files where it was the case. I tried the same parts today and the stud weren't smooth.

It wasn't on the same computer, so I something's different. Does anybody have an idea ?

I generate my pov file using LDView.
RE: hollow stud not replaced by LGEO's one
(2021-03-28, 12:13)Bertrand Lequy Wrote: Hi,

I'm rendering a lot of part these days, and I only noticed recently that normal stud are replaced by LGEO's one but not hollowed stud.

I checkd old (2016) rendering of mine and find some files where it was the case. I tried the same parts today and the stud weren't smooth.

It wasn't on the same computer, so I something's different. Does anybody have an idea ?

I generate my pov file using LDView.

LDView's LGEO.xml does not include stud2.dat, and never has. And, while LDView does use LGEO's version of stud.dat for non-LGEO files, it have never done so for stud2.dat. The LGEO parts themselves should have its version of stud2.dat, but LDView has nothing to do with that. Are you sure that the parts in question are supported by LGEO, and are in the LGEO.xml file that you are using?
(2021-03-29, 1:17)Travis Cobbs Wrote: LDView's LGEO.xml does not include stud2.dat, and never has. And, while LDView does use LGEO's version of stud.dat for non-LGEO files, it have never done so for stud2.dat. The LGEO parts themselves should have its version of stud2.dat, but LDView has nothing to do with that. Are you sure that the parts in question are supported by LGEO, and are in the LGEO.xml file that you are using?

I just ran a quick test. I created an LDR file that just had a reference to 2926.dat and nothing else, then did an LGEO export from LDView with LGEO enabled, and it used the LGEO hollow studs (with rounded edges and the LEGO logo). I'm pretty sure I'm using the last official LGEO release from Lutz Uhlmann, not one of the updates done by others.

As an aside, I think that adding an entry for stud2.dat that is just like the stud.dat one, but with lg_tech_knob and lg_tech_knob_clear would allow LDView to use the LGEO hollow studs on non-LGEO parts.
(2021-03-29, 1:42)Travis Cobbs Wrote: I just ran a quick test. I created an LDR file that just had a reference to 2926.dat and nothing else, then did an LGEO export from LDView with LGEO enabled, and it used the LGEO hollow studs (with rounded edges and the LEGO logo). I'm pretty sure I'm using the last official LGEO release from Lutz Uhlmann, not one of the updates done by others.

As an aside, I think that adding an entry for stud2.dat that is just like the stud.dat one, but with lg_tech_knob and lg_tech_knob_clear would allow LDView to use the LGEO hollow studs on non-LGEO parts.

Thank you.

So I must have modified something on my old computer.

My test part was 1x2 jumper 15573.dat, so I checked with 3794b.dat and it doesn't use LGEO too.
I noticed right now that 3794b.dat is in LGEO.xml but defined as 3794.dat. I think I modified this entry at the time. Bad test part choice for me...

I added the stud2 entry with lg_teck_knob and it worked fine with 15573.dat. I'll see on other parts.
Thank you again.
So, I finally add these lines in LGEO.xml :

Code:
        <Element>
            <LDrawFilename>stud2.dat</LDrawFilename>
            <POVName>lg_tech_knob_logo</POVName>
            <POVName Alternate="Clear">lg_tech_knob_clear_logo</POVName>
            <Dependency>LGDefs</Dependency>
            <MatrixRef>LGEOTransform</MatrixRef>
        </Element>
        <Element>
            <LDrawFilename>stud2a.dat</LDrawFilename>
            <POVName>lg_tech_knob</POVName>
            <POVName Alternate="Clear">lg_tech_knob_clear</POVName>
        </Element>

And for now, it works fine. I'll let you know if something goes wrong.
(2021-03-29, 14:03)Bertrand Lequy Wrote: So, I finally add these lines in LGEO.xml :

A very elegant solution. I can confirm that it works good, so far.
(2021-03-29, 14:03)Bertrand Lequy Wrote: So, I finally add these lines in LGEO.xml :

Code:
        <Element>
            <LDrawFilename>stud2.dat</LDrawFilename>
            <POVName>lg_tech_knob_logo</POVName>
            <POVName Alternate="Clear">lg_tech_knob_clear_logo</POVName>
        </Element>
        <Element>
            <LDrawFilename>stud2a.dat</LDrawFilename>
            <POVName>lg_tech_knob</POVName>
            <POVName Alternate="Clear">lg_tech_knob_clear</POVName>
        </Element>

I'll add these to LDView's default LGEO.xml for the next release. I realize that people use an updated LGEO.xml with the improved LGEO, but I'm kind of in a bind, due to that not being officially part of the original author's last LGEO release.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »