Volunteer to update the "Get started/Mac" page wanted.

Volunteer to update the "Get started/Mac" page wanted.
Guys,

it is my understanding that the new version of LeoCAD is compatible with the latest macOS substituting the outdated Bricksmith. I'm looking for a volunteer with a Mac who could update the:

LDraw.org > Help > Get Started > Mac page

adding references to the tutorial ... Basically a short tutorial to get started with LDraw on Mac? 

w.
LEGO ergo sum
RE: Volunteer to update the "Get started/Mac" page wanted.
(2021-03-30, 12:57)Willy Tschager Wrote: Guys,

it is my understanding that the new version of LeoCAD is compatible with the latest macOS substituting the outdated Bricksmith. I'm looking for a volunteer with a Mac who could update the:

adding references to the tutorial ... Basically a short tutorial to get started with LDraw on Mac? 

w.

I started some work on this a while ago. I could continue with some prodding…although I don't use LeoCAD myself so I'd just have to look into it a bit (not a big problem).

w.

I'd also like to see a tutorial to get LDCad up and running with WINE. Of course this will only work on Intel Macs or Apple Silicon with Rosetta 2.

w.

Like NW Perry I don’t have experience with Leocad but I do own a Mac.
And a Ubuntu laptop for that matter.

I too can give it a try, perhaps with NW?
I will install it and try for sure.
What are you looking for in a getting started? Downloading and setting up and making a first model?

I never got LDCad to work in Wine on my Mac. All I got running was the GUI. No parts or other bins.
I think I managed to open a model, but got all kind of errors and false rendering.
Jaco van der Molen
lpub.binarybricks.nl
(2021-03-30, 16:59)Jaco van der Molen Wrote: Like NW Perry I don’t have experience with Leocad but I do own a Mac.
And a Ubuntu laptop for that matter.

I too can give it a try, perhaps with NW?
I will install it and try for sure.
What are you looking for in a getting started? Downloading and setting up and making a first model?

I never got LDCad to work in Wine on my Mac. All I got running was the GUI. No parts or other bins.
I think I managed to open a model, but got all kind of errors and false rendering.

I got mine working pretty easily, for some reason. The only thing I had to do was install some system fonts (a known issue that I think is documented here somewhere).

Wine officially does not work for Catalina or beyond, but I believe there are some unofficial solutions for 64-bit applications only. I haven't tried any of that yet, however.

Basically, there seem to be three levels of using LDraw on the Mac:
1. Native applications like LeoCAD, LDView and Studio (with the big asterisk that it's not a true LDraw application)
2. Programs that run inside an environment, like LDPE (with some bumps in the road)
3. Windows-only programs that run under Wine, like LDCad and most of the smaller utilities (but without polling and other inter-app functionality)

And then there are some programs that just don't seem to work.
(2021-03-30, 17:41)N. W. Perry Wrote: I got mine working pretty easily, for some reason. The only thing I had to do was install some system fonts (a known issue that I think is documented here somewhere).

Wine officially does not work for Catalina or beyond, but I believe there are some unofficial solutions for 64-bit applications only. I haven't tried any of that yet, however.

Basically, there seem to be three levels of using LDraw on the Mac:
1. Native applications like LeoCAD, LDView and Studio (with the big asterisk that it's not a true LDraw application)
2. Programs that run inside an environment, like LDPE (with some bumps in the road)
3. Windows-only programs that run under Wine, like LDCad and most of the smaller utilities (but without polling and other inter-app functionality)

And then there are some programs that just don't seem to work.

Right. Currently, I have High Sierra 10.13.1 and I could update to 10.13.6.
I guess my Macbook Air 2017 is too old to update further.
The only thing I got running under Wine was MLCad, but that was way back and on my previous Macbook. Not a clue what OS version that was.

I can't get LPub3D running either.

LeoCad does work like a charm. It turned out I had it already installed, but not used in a long time so I forgot about it. (sorry)
I didn't get to set up much like choosing the LDraw folder and stuff either since that was already done.

I have been playing with it for the last hour or so, but I am sorry to say I cannot get used to it.
I am just too familiar and comfortable with LDCad under Windows. So perhaps I am not the right person to write a tutorial after all.
Jaco van der Molen
lpub.binarybricks.nl
(2021-03-30, 16:59)Jaco van der Molen Wrote: What are you looking for in a getting started? Downloading and setting up and making a first model?

Download and set up, with a link to the tutorial on Leonardo's site is fine.

w.
LEGO ergo sum
(2021-03-30, 19:49)Willy Tschager Wrote: Download and set up, with a link to the tutorial on Leonardo's site is fine.

w.

I can probably get together over the coming weekend, with the Wine/LDCad instructions to follow.

w.

This part is now complete.

(2021-03-30, 15:04)Orion Pobursky Wrote: I'd also like to see a tutorial to get LDCad up and running with WINE. Of course this will only work on Intel Macs or Apple Silicon with Rosetta 2.

This will be forthcoming. I have this setup under Mojave currently, the last OS for which Wine is officially supported. My understanding is that newer OSes should also work with a 64-bit install of Wine, since LDCad is a 64-bit application. (Are there other LDraw utilities that are only 32-bit?)
(2021-04-11, 13:55)N. W. Perry Wrote:  (Are there other LDraw utilities that are only 32-bit?)

Almost all of them with very few exceptions.
(2021-04-11, 14:16)Orion Pobursky Wrote: Almost all of them with very few exceptions.

Then it's likely that Crossover is the solution for those—it is reputed to run on M1 machines, and under the latest Big Sur beta, including 32-bit apps. This is something I'll not have tried, since I haven't upgraded past Mojave (partially, but not wholly, because of the Wine limitation).
(2021-04-11, 13:55)N. W. Perry Wrote: This part is now complete.

Looks good! Well done.
Jaco van der Molen
lpub.binarybricks.nl
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »