Parts made from several individual parts.

Parts made from several individual parts.
Hello,

I noticed that some parts consist of one or more individual parts, e.g. "Hinge Control Stick and Base (Complete)", Design 4592c01. This part is also available in other versions where the stick has a different color. Or the upper and lower parts of mini figures, some of which are already in the library. My question now is, does it make sense or is it desirable or not to include these parts in the library?

Greeting

Manfred
RE: Parts made from several individual parts.
(2021-03-04, 20:38)Manfred Schäfer Wrote: Hello,

I noticed that some parts consist of one or more individual parts, e.g. "Hinge Control Stick and Base (Complete)", Design 4592c01. This part is also available in other versions where the stick has a different color. Or the upper and lower parts of mini figures, some of which are already in the library. My question now is, does it make sense or is it desirable or not to include these parts in the library?

Greeting

Manfred

Generally, yes (if I understand your question correctly). Although you usually need to use the components separately in a model, it helps to have the complete shortcut available to use, for example, in a parts list in your building instructions.

But only those combinations that have actually been released as real parts should be included in the library, not every possible combination.
(2021-03-04, 21:07)N. W. Perry Wrote: Generally, yes (if I understand your question correctly). Although you usually need to use the components separately in a model, it helps to have the complete shortcut available to use, for example, in a parts list in your building instructions.

But only those combinations that have actually been released as real parts should be included in the library, not every possible combination.

Hello,

yes, you get it right. My concern in this post is to use these parts in the parts list and bom.
The other option would be to store these parts locally and each user would have to do this for themselves as well.
I will register as a parts author and start working on such parts. Only parts released by Lego.

Greeting

Manfred
(2021-03-06, 11:45)Manfred Schäfer Wrote: ... and start working on such parts. Only parts released by Lego.

Hold that thought. I don't think we want to have that.
This shortcut is flawed and should be obsoleted. The position of the stick is incorrect. The hinge base is also flawed and needs to be corrected.
And in every model using this assembly the position of the stick is different, so it has to be used inlined anyway. Changing the colour of the inlined template is then easy to do.
IMHO one template, with a coloured stick, is good enough. The correct number for this assembly is 73587.
(2021-03-06, 13:52)Magnus Forsberg Wrote: Hold that thought. I don't think we want to have that.
This shortcut is flawed and should be obsoleted. The position of the stick is incorrect. The hinge base is also flawed and needs to be corrected.
And in every model using this assembly the position of the stick is different, so it has to be used inlined anyway. Changing the colour of the inlined template is then easy to do.
IMHO one template, with a coloured stick, is good enough. The correct number for this assembly is 73587.
I agree with Magnus, we don't need a gazillion of shortcuts when one is enough...
(2021-03-06, 13:52)Magnus Forsberg Wrote: Hold that thought. I don't think we want to have that.

That's right, I forgot about the error. And I think I'm the one who noticed it in the first place!

I'll also agree that having zillions of shortcuts in the library isn't optimal, especially since you also have to have the component parts separately. I've noticed that for many new users, it's confusing that a single official part is represented by numerous LDraw library entries: the complete assembly, each of its subparts, and then any color/pattern variations… To my mind, the ideal would be to have a 1:1 relationship, and let the rest be user-configurable (so all you have to do is add the complete assembly to a model, and you're automatically able to position and re-color it, etc.).
Hello,

In order to display a part in the parts list or the bom, which consists of several parts, I need this as an individual part and not the individual parts. In the building instructions, the separte parts would be used to adjust the orientation and the angle for example.
If this part is not in the official library, this part must be stored in a separate library. I don't know whether this part can alternatively be stored in the model's file like a sub-model.
I understood that it makes no sense to store parts in the library in different existing color combinations, although only one color can be transferred. The other colors used are permanently defined in the DAT file.
The background to my question was that I am currently working on a kind of workflow for me for creating building instructions.
I will create a separate library for me for all parts that consist of several parts.

Greeting

Manfred
Well,
Since we already have 12 different coloured Duplo Car Base I think we could add 4 more "Hinge Control Stick and Base"

We could make these:
73587p01,  Hinge Control Stick Base with Black Control Stick   (already present as 4592c01)
73587p02,  Hinge Control Stick Base with Light Bluish Grey Control Stick
73587p03,  Hinge Control Stick Base with Light Grey Control Stick
73587p04,  Hinge Control Stick Base with White Control Stick
73587p05,  Hinge Control Stick Base with Yellow Control Stick
These are the 5 known colours on the stick.

Would that help?
(2021-03-08, 16:40)Magnus Forsberg Wrote: Well,
Since we already have 12 different coloured Duplo Car Base I think we could add 4 more "Hinge Control Stick and Base"

We could make these:
73587p01,  Hinge Control Stick Base with Black Control Stick   (already present as 4592c01)

Would that help?

You have a point...

We could make these:

Would that help?

Hello,

Yes, that would be very helpful to me.

I don't mean to be rude, but would this promise also apply to the other parts, which are made up of several individual parts with different colours, such as the upper or lower body of a minifigure?
I only see this as an addition to the parts that only have one color and that color is passed on when called.

Greeting

Manfred

We could make these:

Would that help?

I don't have a problem with this suggestion.
Chris (LDraw Parts Library Admin)
(2021-03-04, 21:07)N. W. Perry Wrote: ...for example, in a parts list in your building instructions.

In LPub3D you can substitute any part made of more parts with a submodel or shortcut part.
In this case the control stick 4592c01.dat (if you use it with a colored base and black stick).
Use that as a substitute in your PLI and BOM and use it in your model with the stick in the right angle.
If you have another color combination (base/lever) you can simply make a submodel with the right color base and stick, like 4592c01.dat and use that submodel as a substitute.
Jaco van der Molen
lpub.binarybricks.nl
(2021-03-11, 21:25)Jaco van der Molen Wrote: In LPub3D you can substitute any part made of more parts with a submodel or shortcut part.
In this case the control stick 4592c01.dat (if you use it with a colored base and black stick).
Use that as a substitute in your PLI and BOM and use it in your model with the stick in the right angle.
If you have another color combination (base/lever) you can simply make a submodel with the right color base and stick, like 4592c01.dat and use that submodel as a substitute.

Hello Jaco,

Thank you for the information.
However, I prefer the solution of creating a separate part for such parts and sending it to the parts tracker to make it an official part.
I understood the previous statements to mean that it is okay as this has already been done with other parts.
The possibilities of LPub are enormous and I am only just discovering them.

Greeting

Manfred
I'm working on these now.

New assemblies are now at the part tracker.

Updated parts are in the mail to Admin.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »