Virtual Reality LDraw Building System

Virtual Reality LDraw Building System
Hello All,

I am planning on using the LDraw parts for a virtual reality building system, but I am unsure if this is a good idea because of the potential copywrite infringement on the LEGO Group. 

I want to decide early in the development process if I should use LDraw or model my own knockoff parts and possibly use the same part names for instruction manual/LDraw .ldr file export purposes. 

The library wouldn't be all-encompassing in either case, and I would make sure not to use any trademark material, but as far as I am aware the LEGO Group has failed in multiple lawsuits to secure intellectual ownership of most of their part designs (excluding some parts such as minifigs, Bionicle, etc.) after their patents expired. 

I know that LDraw is available for commercial use, but am I looking at a lawsuit if I use the parts in this way?

I have already developed a prototype if anyone is interested, currently developing for the Oculus Quest VR Headset using the Unity Engine.

Prototype:

[Image: ZUiucbN.gif]
RE: Virtual Reality LDraw Building System
(2020-04-25, 3:04)K Johnson Wrote: I know that LDraw is available for commercial use, but am I looking at a lawsuit if I use the parts in this way?

First: I am not a lawyer.

I'd say go ahead and release. We're much closer to copying their IP than you will be. Odds are if LEGO objects they'll first send a cease and desist.
(2020-04-25, 3:20)Orion Pobursky Wrote: We're much closer to copying their IP than you will be. Odds are if LEGO objects they'll first send a cease and desist.

Have there been examples of LDraw being used commercially where they did not get a license from LEGO and they were able to publish? I'm just sort of confused if I am able to use LEGO parts that have currently active patents.
(2020-04-25, 3:26)K Johnson Wrote: Have there been examples of LDraw being used commercially where they did not get a license from LEGO and they were able to publish? I'm just sort of confused if I am able to use LEGO parts that have currently active patents.

Pretty much every 3rd party LEGO book that has instructions in it uses some form of the LDraw library. LPub was developed by Kevin Clague because he was writing a book and wanted an easier way to make instructions. Also, there's at least 3 books out there (that I know about) that are devoted to LDraw itself (and many more with a chapter discussing LDraw)
(2020-04-25, 5:33)Orion Pobursky Wrote: Pretty much every 3rd party LEGO book that has instructions in it uses some form of the LDraw library.
So what are the odds, from your experience, that this software would be ordered a cease and desist? Would my chances be altered at all if I omit actively patented parts?
(2020-04-25, 13:47)K Johnson Wrote: So what are the odds, from your experience, that this software would be ordered a cease and desist? Would my chances be altered at all if I omit actively patented parts?
I'm actually very interested in a Vive/Index supported VR project like the one you describe. Let me know if this is an option. I would be interested in paying for this privately if it is available!

They have had cases where someone has a lego skin that gets banned and the dispute gets cleared. It seems that non commercial virtualization is permitted.
(2020-04-28, 23:00)Justin Fox Wrote: I'm actually very interested in a Vive/Index supported VR project like the one you describe. Let me know if this is an option. I would be interested in paying for this privately if it is available!

They have had cases where someone has a lego skin that gets banned and the dispute gets cleared. It seems that non commercial virtualization is permitted.

Hi Justin, 

The product is still in development but we are planning on launching a kickstarter in the next couple months. We would love to have your support on the project!

Here is a link to our reddit account so you can keep up to date:
https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamVR/comment..._steam_vr/
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »