Creating parts folders

Creating parts folders
Hi I would like to create my own parts folders for configuring leocad or other editors. I respect the utility of complete.zip for general model drawing but I would like to make models that are created from specific Lego model instructions (specific Lego products). For these part folders, I want to have only the parts (or compatible parts) that are used in a given specific Lego product. I know I can do this myself but my question is how. That is, what format does a ldraw parts folder need to have. Also I would like to know if there is anyway to expedite the construction of this parts folder.
RE: Creating parts folders
(2020-04-04, 0:50)Charles Dake Wrote: Hi I would like to create my own parts folders for configuring leocad or other editors. I respect the utility of complete.zip for general model drawing but I would like to make models that are created from specific Lego model instructions (specific Lego products). For these part folders, I want to have only the parts (or compatible parts) that are used in a given specific Lego product. I know I can do this myself but my question is how. That is, what format does a ldraw parts folder need to have. Also I would like to know if there is anyway to expedite the construction of this parts folder.

Different editors have different ways of doing this. I use LDCad, which allows you to create "part bin groups"—basically, folders of parts just as you describe. It stores these in a file format called .pbg, and you can export a particular set's inventory to .pbg format (among others) from Rebrickable.com.

If you're using Studio, you can import set inventories directly from Bricklink.

I haven't used LeoCad yet so I don't know how it organizes parts, but I'm sure it has its own way.
(2020-04-04, 0:50)Charles Dake Wrote: Also I would like to know if there is anyway to expedite the construction of this parts folder.

Oh, and I just remembered—there's a new program called LDInspector that does just this: it automatically downloads inventories from Bricklink or Rebrickable and can export them to your computer in a couple of different formats. It's very quick and slick, but the program is still in a beta stage so you need to be a little handy with your system to get it installed and running.
Hi,

Just to thank you because it will help me a lot too! Smile
(2020-04-04, 0:50)Charles Dake Wrote: That is, what format does a ldraw parts folder need to have.

I'd advice not to do this, but like N.W. Perry wrote, make use of LDCad and its pbg option.
If you do want to make folders, just open the complete.zip to see what's it like.

It conains 2 folders: parts and p

p for primitives with subfolders 8 and 48
parts for parts with a subfolder s for subfiles

The parts folder may contain an extra subfolder called textures for texture-mapped parts.

Maybe this page can help you too:
https://sites.google.com/view/workingwit...stom-parts
Jaco van der Molen
lpub.binarybricks.nl
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »