Part 3857 patterned or not - Stud orientation

Part 3857 patterned or not - Stud orientation
I produced 2 patterned unofficial parts from 3857 "Baseplate 16 x 32 with Square Corners".
Stud orientation used are the same as the official files (parallele to the 16 studs edge).

Photo found on web for [color=#000000][color=#333333][color=#000000]patterned parts [/color][/color]show the same orientation.[/color]

Ok, it's not very clear but i don't find better.

But real not patterned parts I have, show an orientation of stud parallele to the 32 studs edge. Huh
Do you think 2 versions [color=#000000][font=Arial]exist with 2 differents stud orientation, one for patterned, one for non patterned, or an old version with an orientation (1990's) and a new version with another orientation ?  [/font][/color]
RE: Part 3857 patterned or not - Stud orientation
Or different baseplates were rotated before passing the printer (do you really think TLG cares about stud orientation). Just think of all the misalignments we see. I'd say use the stud orientation of the plain version.

w.
LEGO ergo sum
(2019-12-30, 21:19)Willy Tschager Wrote: Or different baseplates were rotated before passing the printer (do you really think TLG cares about stud orientation). Just think of all the misalignments we see. I'd say use the stud orientation of the plain version.

w.

I understand for the printing, but in this case, as the baseplate isn't not a square, orientation of stud must be turn 180 only, not 90, isn't it ?

I can change the orientation of the 3 versions of 3857 but in this case, the orientation will be different than the official part, which is an original.

BR, Marc
The alignment of the Studs also depends on the die used when manufacturing the parts. Since not every plate is manufactured individually, but the stamp of the injection molding machine will certainly be used optimally, in my opinion it can easily turn 90 degrees. Just my thought.
If nothing goes right, go left.
(2019-12-30, 22:26)Marc Giraudet Wrote: I understand for the printing, but in this case, as the baseplate isn't not a square, orientation of stud must be turn 180 only, not 90, isn't it ?

I can change the orientation of the 3 versions of 3857 but in this case, the orientation will be different than the official part, which is an original.

BR, Marc

3857p01. Pattern rotated from 180, orientation now as per set 6410.

3857 plain : As all 8 baseplates 16x32 have the same stud orientation, I propose to let the situation unchanged.
(2019-12-30, 15:05)Marc Giraudet Wrote: I produced 2 patterned unofficial parts from 3857 "Baseplate 16 x 32 with Square Corners".
Stud orientation used are the same as the official files (parallele to the 16 studs edge).

Photo found on web for [color=#000000][color=#333333][color=#000000]patterned parts [/color][/color]show the same orientation.[/color]

Ok, it's not very clear but i don't find better.

But real not patterned parts I have, show an orientation of stud parallele to the 32 studs edge. Huh
Do you think 2 versions [color=#000000][font=Arial]exist with 2 differents stud orientation, one for patterned, one for non patterned, or an old version with an orientation (1990's) and a new version with another orientation ?  [/font][/color]

As I'm the one, who brought this question up. I would like to add my two cents.

All older 16 x 32 baseplates I remember have the stud logo aligned to the 32 stud wide side. Therefore we should maybe change this in the library as well. Anyway I have to check the newer plates.
I have a theory.
You have to remember that these are painted parts. It is common for the same "part" to be made in three different moulds.
One for solid colors.
One for transparent colors.
And one for parts that will get some sort of coating. Chrome plating or paint. That coating also have a thickness in real life.

I think this might explain why the regular, unpainted part have the logo aligned along the longer 32 stud edge, and the painted part could have the logo aligned along the 16 stud edge.
(2020-01-03, 10:35)Magnus Forsberg Wrote: I have a theory.
You have to remember that these are painted parts. It is common for the same "part" to be made in three different moulds.
One for solid colors.
One for transparent colors.
And one for parts that will get some sort of coating. Chrome plating or paint. That coating also have a thickness in real life.

I think this might explain why the regular, unpainted part have the logo aligned along the longer 32 stud edge, and the painted part could have the logo aligned along the 16 stud edge.
 Thanks for this explanation. New version for the plain baseplate with stud group rotated 90 uploaded.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »