Part 4592 (control stick base)

Part 4592 (control stick base)
Hi,

I noticed what seems to be a discrepancy in the small control stick base (4592.dat): the notch is not deep enough to allow the stick to rotate a full 180 degrees, although the real part does permit this behavior. However, this may be partially due to the snap meta being set too deep—in the real part, the rotational disc of the stick sits flush with the top of the base, rather than being concentric with its hemispherical portion. (Still, this adjustment allows the stick only about 174° of rotation, rather than the full 180° sweep—or even slightly more—available in the real part.)
RE: Part 4592 (control stick base)
(2019-12-07, 5:13)N. W. Perry Wrote: I noticed what seems to be a discrepancy in the small control stick base (4592.dat): the notch is not deep enough to allow the stick to rotate a full 180 degrees, although the real part does permit this behavior. However, this may be partially due to the snap meta being set too deep—in the real part, the rotational disc of the stick sits flush with the top of the base, rather than being concentric with its hemispherical portion. (Still, this adjustment allows the stick only about 174° of rotation, rather than the full 180° sweep—or even slightly more—available in the real part.)
I had a close look at this problem. Parts are not awefully wrong, most of the issue seems indeed to come from rotation point position. If we raise it by 1.5 ldu, it comes out pretty good, we reach 175°, which seems to match well the part I have here (no, I can't reach 180° without stressing the stick - maybe yours is more used and has a little play?). I propose to create a c02 assembly shortcut with raised stick, and obsoletize current c01. Of course connectivity should be corrected too. Opinions?
(2019-12-10, 19:49)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: I propose to create a c02 assembly shortcut with raised stick, and obsoletize current c01. Of course connectivity should be corrected too. Opinions?

I agree. The c01 shortcut is wrong.
(2019-12-10, 19:49)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: I had a close look at this problem. Parts are not awefully wrong, most of the issue seems indeed to come from rotation point position. If we raise it by 1.5 ldu, it comes out pretty good, we reach 175°, which seems to match well the part I have here (no, I can't reach 180° without stressing the stick - maybe yours is more used and has a little play?). I propose to create a c02 assembly shortcut with raised stick, and obsoletize current c01. Of course connectivity should be corrected too. Opinions?

I can't directly observe the real part right now, but I think the exact amount of travel depends on variations in the actual physical tolerance, and probably also the stiffness of the joint, due to age, wear and mold variations. (I do believe there were two mold versions of this part, differing in the size of the rotational disc.)

I would agree that just adjusting the "official" positioning of the parts, along with the connectivity, is probably adequate.
(2019-12-10, 19:49)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: I had a close look at this problem. Parts are not awefully wrong, most of the issue seems indeed to come from rotation point position. If we raise it by 1.5 ldu, it comes out pretty good, we reach 175°, which seems to match well the part I have here (no, I can't reach 180° without stressing the stick - maybe yours is more used and has a little play?). I propose to create a c02 assembly shortcut with raised stick, and obsoletize current c01. Of course connectivity should be corrected too. Opinions?

Since 4592 - Hinge Control Stick Base doesn't have a knob and therefore doesn't need correction as well I'm fine with it.

w.
LEGO ergo sum
(2019-12-11, 6:52)Willy Tschager Wrote: Since 4592 - Hinge Control Stick Base doesn't have a knob and therefore doesn't need correction as well I'm fine with it.
I somewhat intended to add the missing bump at the right place...
(2019-12-11, 8:15)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: I somewhat intended to add the missing bump at the right place...
Any other comments before I start to make changes?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »