New member checking in

New member checking in
Hi all, 

Found this site while scrounging for part models to do some modeling of my MOCs in Stud.io.  I’m a MAC guy so I suppose I won’t be using LDraw anytime soon, but I’m astounded at the support and community here.  I look forward to working with you all, and thanks for having me.

Cheers,
Matt Walker (aka Cleansupgood)
RE: New member checking in
(2019-07-29, 22:51)Matt Walker Wrote: Hi all, 

Found this site while scrounging for part models to do some modeling of my MOCs in Stud.io.  I’m a MAC guy so I suppose I won’t be using LDraw anytime soon, but I’m astounded at the support and community here.  I look forward to working with you all, and thanks for having me.

Cheers,
Matt Walker (aka Cleansupgood)

I'm a Mac user too. Check out Bricksmith, I've used it for years. However, my machine is stuck on El Capitan and I know there's a Mojave issue that may not be fixed but never hurts to download and try.
(2019-07-29, 23:26)Orion Pobursky Wrote: I'm a Mac user too. Check out Bricksmith, I've used it for years. However, my machine is stuck on El Capitan and I know there's a Mojave issue that may not be fixed but never hurts to download and try.
I actually found bricksmith first and struggled with the interface.  I switched back to LDD then moved to Stud.io when I wanted to make instructions. I lucked out (?) that I couldn’t do my taxes last year because my 10 year old MAC couldn’t be updated to run TurboTax so I got a brand new MAC this spring with whatever the latest OS is.  Granted now that I’m running CAD and rendering I’m wishing I’d gotten something heavier duty than a MacBook Air base model.  I’m definitely not opposed to working in other platforms but I’ve really taken a shine to Stud.io and the new PartDesigner add on.  I still use LDD every so often for the hinge connect feature.
Welcome Matt!

I'm a Mac user too and also swiched from both Bricksmith and LDD to Studio to build models and render but mainly use LD Part Editor to design parts. I also recently started to use Img4Dat to generate some parts before cleaning them in LDPE. I am running Img4Dat on Windows using Parallels.

Cheers
(2019-07-30, 9:30)Vincent Messenet Wrote: Welcome Matt!

I'm a Mac user too and also swiched from both Bricksmith and LDD to Studio to build models and render but mainly use LD Part Editor to design parts. I also recently started to use Img4Dat to generate some parts before cleaning them in LDPE. I am running Img4Dat on Windows using Parallel.

Cheers
Hi Vincent,

Are you running a second Windows machine or are you partioned and running Windows on a virtual machine?
(2019-07-30, 12:04)Matt Walker Wrote: Are you running a second Windows machine or are you partioned and running Windows on a virtual machine?
Parallels mentionned by Vincent is a virtual machine: https://www.parallels.com
(2019-07-30, 13:38)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: Parallels mentionned by Vincent is a virtual machine: https://www.parallels.com
Yes  Smile
(2019-07-30, 13:38)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: Parallels mentionned by Vincent is a virtual machine: https://www.parallels.com
Got it, thanks.
(2019-07-30, 9:30)Vincent Messenet Wrote: Welcome Matt!

I'm a Mac user too and also swiched from both Bricksmith and LDD to Studio to build models and render but mainly use LD Part Editor to design parts. I also recently started to use Img4Dat to generate some parts before cleaning them in LDPE. I am running Img4Dat on Windows using Parallels.

Cheers

Yet another Mac user and new member (joined today). Bricksmith was my only editor for a while; I tried switching to Stud.io but found the need to go back into Bricksmith for certain functions; as of now I'm bouncing files between the two to finish a full model. I'm still searching for a part editing solution, as Stud.io's Part Designer add-on is too limiting for now. (Stud.io actually seems to do a lot under the hood, but the UI doesn't give us access to all of it.)
(2019-09-07, 3:49)N. W. Perry Wrote: Yet another Mac user and new member (joined today). Bricksmith was my only editor for a while; I tried switching to Stud.io but found the need to go back into Bricksmith for certain functions; as of now I'm bouncing files between the two to finish a full model. I'm still searching for a part editing solution, as Stud.io's Part Designer add-on is too limiting for now. (Stud.io actually seems to do a lot under the hood, but the UI doesn't give us access to all of it.)
Welcome here!
Yes, Part Designer is currently very limited in the shapes it can create. The tool of choice to create new parts is LdPartEditor (https://github.com/nilsschmidt1337/ldparteditor), but the learning curve is rather steep Wink
(2019-09-07, 6:41)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: Welcome here!
Yes, Part Designer is currently very limited in the shapes it can create. The tool of choice to create new parts is LdPartEditor (https://github.com/nilsschmidt1337/ldparteditor), but the learning curve is rather steep Wink

Yes, I've installed that, but haven't really delved into it just yet. However, after reading more about Wine (and feeling less intimidated by it), I decided to try installing that and running LDCad—and it works!  Big Grin So that's definitely a viable option for Mac users, too.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »