Better use of keyword !KEYWORDS

Better use of keyword !KEYWORDS
Hello,

I want propose a change to the file structure of the part files. This proposed change only applies to the files in the parts folder, the files in the sub-folders, such as s, are not affected by this.
These files usually contain a line with the keyword !KEYWORDS and are used to store search terms, a reference to Bricklink or other databases and the number of sets in which this part was used.
I would include three lines of the !KEYWORDS keyword. The first line contains one or more search terms, the second line is followed by the word sets, separated by a space, followed by one or more numbers of the sets in which this part was used. The third line contains after the keyword, also separated by a space, the word reference followed by the name of the reference, e.g. B. Bricklink, followed by the name of the part.
Multiple entries in one line are separated by a comma. The entries sets or reference do not need to be entered again.
The first two of these lines could be optional, the third line would be mandatory. The reference would be to Bricklink or a similar database, Bricklink would be prefered. This line can contain the words unknown or missing instead of the reference. This would look like this:

0 !KEYWORDS Reference unknown
or
0 !KEYWORDS Reference missing.

Unknown is used when creating a new part and there is no reference yet, for example. Missing would be used when updating the existing files to this supplement if no reference is stored.
For the 3626c8f minifigure head, this change would look like this:

0 !KEYWORDS Robo Emmet, Spaceship
0 !KEYWORDS sets 70816
0 !KEYWORDS Reference Bricklink 3626cpb1113

The 3626bp08 minifigure head after the change would look like this:
0 !KEYWORDS Star Wars, Princess Leia
0 !KEYWORDS Reference missing

The reference is also required if it is an unprinted part, since the names or the number of the part are different in the various sources.
For example the battery box
Lego element: 6257768
Design number: 16511
LDraw part: 58119
Bricklink number: 59510c01
The reference to a database would therefore also be a criterion for the release of a new part.

Greetings

Manfred
RE: Better use of keyword !KEYWORDS
Given that this would break backwards compatibility, I don't see it ever happening. Each comma-separated phrase in the keywords list is a keyword. And keywords lines in parts are limited to 80 characters. I understand what you're trying to achieve, but I don't see it happening.
(2021-05-06, 19:03)Travis Cobbs Wrote: Given that this would break backwards compatibility, I don't see it ever happening. Each comma-separated phrase in the keywords list is a keyword. And keywords lines in parts are limited to 80 characters. I understand what you're trying to achieve, but I don't see it happening.

Hello,

I don't see any backward compatibility issues. The keyword line length limit has been removed, I mean.

Greetings

Manfred
(2021-05-07, 8:07)Manfred Schäfer Wrote: I don't see any backward compatibility issues. The keyword line length limit has been removed, I mean.

Not really no, but you would get a boatload of different keywords like one for each variation of the "Reference Bricklink ****"

If we seriously want to add bricklink (or other 3rd party) reference information to the library it should be done using a new meta.

Same, probably, goes for sets although it might be more efficient to combine the two kinds of information into one meta, e.g. !REFERENCE in which the 2nd keyword indicates a group (set, bricklink, etc).
(2021-05-07, 8:07)Manfred Schäfer Wrote: Hello,

I don't see any backward compatibility issues. The keyword line length limit has been removed, I mean.

Greetings

Manfred

Ignoring the 80 characters per line limitation (more on that below), I still do. Your example has the following:

0 !KEYWORDS sets 70816

And you specify in the text that multiple sets are intended to be listed like so:

0 !KEYWORDS sets 70816, 70817

Since each comma-separated keyword must be treated as a single entity currently, the above is definitely not backwards compatible. The following would be backwards compatible:

0 !KEYWORDS set 70816, set 70817

Note: I personally feel that listing set numbers in parts is not a good idea. Right now, I think it's mentioned as "the unique set the part appeared in". I'm not exactly sure what that means, but it definitely appears to be talking about listing one set as a keyword.

Based on your description of how you think the sets line should work, it is very much implied that if the Reference line contains multiple references, the word "Reference" would not be repeated for each.

Regarding the 80 character line limit, the official !CATEGORY and !KEYWORDS Language Extension still states that KEYWORDS lines should be limited to 80 characters (which is why I mentioned it in the first place). I suspect that this is an oversight, and that limitation is no longer desired. I'm not 100% sure of that, though.
(2021-05-08, 5:40)Travis Cobb Wrote: Note: I personally feel that listing set numbers in parts is not a good idea. Right now, I think it's mentioned as "the unique set the part appeared in". I'm not exactly sure what that means, but it definitely appears to be talking about listing one set as a keyword.

The intent is to list at least one set the pattern appears in to aid in cross reference with other catalog sites (e.g. Bricklink, Rebrickable) since those sitse don't use our pattern codes. Listing multiple sets would fine but not required.
(2021-05-05, 19:59)Manfred Schäfer Wrote: Hello,

I want propose a change to the file structure of the part files. This proposed change only applies to the files in the parts folder, the files in the sub-folders, such as s, are not affected by this.
These files usually contain a line with the keyword !KEYWORDS and are used to store search terms, a reference to Bricklink or other databases and the number of sets in which this part was used.
I would include three lines of the !KEYWORDS keyword. The first line contains one or more search terms, the second line is followed by the word sets, separated by a space, followed by one or more numbers of the sets in which this part was used. The third line contains after the keyword, also separated by a space, the word reference followed by the name of the reference, e.g. B. Bricklink, followed by the name of the part.
Multiple entries in one line are separated by a comma. The entries sets or reference do not need to be entered again.
The first two of these lines could be optional, the third line would be mandatory. The reference would be to Bricklink or a similar database, Bricklink would be prefered. This line can contain the words unknown or missing instead of the reference. This would look like this:

0 !KEYWORDS Reference unknown
or
0 !KEYWORDS Reference missing.

Unknown is used when creating a new part and there is no reference yet, for example. Missing would be used when updating the existing files to this supplement if no reference is stored.
For the 3626c8f minifigure head, this change would look like this:

0 !KEYWORDS Robo Emmet, Spaceship
0 !KEYWORDS sets 70816
0 !KEYWORDS Reference Bricklink 3626cpb1113

The 3626bp08 minifigure head after the change would look like this:
0 !KEYWORDS Star Wars, Princess Leia
0 !KEYWORDS Reference missing

The reference is also required if it is an unprinted part, since the names or the number of the part are different in the various sources.
For example the battery box
Lego element: 6257768
Design number: 16511
LDraw part: 58119
Bricklink number: 59510c01
The reference to a database would therefore also be a criterion for the release of a new part.

Greetings

Manfred

Hello,

I want to briefly describe how I came up with this idea.
For example, if I have created a model according a set, former time Lego Digital Designer, currently still MLCad, I first use the parts without pattern. When creating the assembly instructions, I replace the corresponding parts with the parts with pattern. To do this, I search for the desired part in the program LDFind using the search function with the help of the Bricklink extension, e. g. *.pb0815.
I noticed that there are many parts whith pattern without this reference.
In my proposal, I only included the keywords and the numbers of the sets because they are already used in other parts. For me the reference to Bricklink for example are enough because there are parts that look very similar but are not the same. A reference would be very helpful here.
Providing the reference as a meta command would not help here, as the search function only searches the keywords !KEYWORDS, I think.
In my opinion, specifying just one set would be enough. But here there would probably be someone who claims the other set is much more important or much better suited.

Greeting

Manfred
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »