Patterned Baseplates

Patterned Baseplates
Hi,

Is anyone here currently authoring or intend to author the following baseplates?

http://peeron.com/inv/parts/2552px3
http://peeron.com/inv/parts/2552px4
http://peeron.com/inv/parts/6024px2
http://peeron.com/inv/parts/2359px3

I've only recently submitted my first part and all the parts I've done via LDraw I do manually and, as you can imagine, is very time consuming.  For those experienced in designing official parts, is there a more efficient way to author elaborate parts such as these (with heavy detail), such as 3D scanners or some other software?  Thanks.
RE: Patterned Baseplates
Hi Matthew,

http://peeron.com/inv/parts/2359px3 is already official: https://www.ldraw.org/library/official/p...359p02.dat

others unfortunately not. If you have hi-res pictures please post them.

Thanks
(2019-06-30, 22:27)Gerald Lasser Wrote: Hi Matthew,

http://peeron.com/inv/parts/2359px3 is already official: https://www.ldraw.org/library/official/p...359p02.dat

others unfortunately not. If you have hi-res pictures please post them.

Thanks

Thanks, had a feeling I overlooked one of them.

As to the others, the attached images are the best I can do.  I have these three other baseplates myself, but they're in storage.  Some models that contain them are:

2552px3, Eldorado Fortress (6276), Imperial Trading Post (6277)
2552px4, Rock Island Refuge (6273)
6024px2, Enchanted Island (6278), Pirate's Perilous Pitfall (6281)

2552px3 & 2552px4 are basically identical, the only difference being the rocks are different colors.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(2019-06-30, 23:28)Matthew Renner Wrote: Thanks, had a feeling I overlooked one of them.

As to the others, the attached images are the best I can do.  I have these three other baseplates myself, but they're in storage.  Some models that contain them are:

2552px3, Eldorado Fortress (6276), Imperial Trading Post (6277)
2552px4, Rock Island Refuge (6273)
6024px2, Enchanted Island (6278), Pirate's Perilous Pitfall (6281)

2552px3 & 2552px4 are basically identical, the only difference being the rocks are different colors.
I have actually already made '6024px2' (the Islanders raised baseplate). It is not completly finished as I would like to subfile it differently and make different subfiles for the unpatterned version of the part. I actually made this years ago, but I did not upload it as I had a crazy idea that I would make all the raised baseplates that I owned and upload them at the same time. Obviously other things got in the way and I never finished them all Confused I will upload this in the next few days together with some others that is almost finished.

[Image: pirates_islanders_baseplates.jpg]
(2019-07-01, 16:23)Mikkel Bech Jensen Wrote: I have actually already made '6024px2' (the Islanders raised baseplate). It is not completly finished as I would like to subfile it differently and make different subfiles for the unpatterned version of the part. I actually made this years ago, but I did not upload it as I had a crazy idea that I would make all the raised baseplates that I owned and upload them at the same time. Obviously other things got in the way and I never finished them all Confused I will upload this in the next few days together with some others that is almost finished.

Beautiful, thanks!

I am curious, do you design your baseplates manually (i.e. each triangle, quadrilateral) or do you somehow read in the pattern?  How do you actually create the patterns?  Everything I've done I do manually, which is extremely time consuming.
(2019-07-01, 16:23)Mikkel Bech Jensen Wrote: I have actually already made '6024px2' (the Islanders raised baseplate). It is not completly finished as I would like to subfile it differently and make different subfiles for the unpatterned version of the part. I actually made this years ago, but I did not upload it as I had a crazy idea that I would make all the raised baseplates that I owned and upload them at the same time. Obviously other things got in the way and I never finished them all Confused I will upload this in the next few days together with some others that is almost finished.

Looks impressive! Good job.

w.
LEGO ergo sum
Congratulations, looks great!!!
(2019-07-01, 16:28)Matthew Renner Wrote: Beautiful, thanks!

I am curious, do you design your baseplates manually (i.e. each triangle, quadrilateral) or do you somehow read in the pattern?  How do you actually create the patterns?  Everything I've done I do manually, which is extremely time consuming.
I use 'Ldraw Pattern Creator' (developed by Nils Schmidt). It is the best tool for creating patterns Smile  I took a picture of every surface on the plate and used that as reference (easy to do in ldpc). This part was however VERY time consuming to do as it has so many patterned faces. I will try to finish it up and upload it to the tracker immediately

Really great! A pity you did not submit them earlier!

Do upload them!
Now the 6024p02 is uploaded to the partstracker! Big Grin 

https://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.c...024p02.dat
Brilliant, thanks!  Will upload a pic of Enchanted Island soon.

It's good enough, but strictly speaking, the pattern is off about a stud or so. Still, good job.

If only the other two baseplates can be done lol.  The time those might take looks nasty, with all those patches haha.
(2019-07-01, 23:21)Matthew Renner Wrote: Brilliant, thanks!  Will upload a pic of Enchanted Island soon.

It's good enough, but strictly speaking, the pattern is off about a stud or so.  Still, good job.

If only the other two baseplates can be done lol.  The time those might take looks nasty, with all those patches haha.

Welcome to Enchanted Island!  Some of the parts are improvised, such as the corner panels and the torsos, since they're not available in LDraw.  For fun, I did the goblet in true gold.  Thanks for making this possible!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(2019-07-01, 23:21)Matthew Renner Wrote: Brilliant, thanks!  Will upload a pic of Enchanted Island soon.

It's good enough, but strictly speaking, the pattern is off about a stud or so.  Still, good job.

These baseplates rarely had the patterns correctly aligned. It is not unusual to see two instances of the same set with baseplate patterns off by a stud or two. In this case it is very difficult to say if your version is off by a stud or mine was off by a stud. I just tried to make shure that the river would be perfectly aligned with the opposite end so multiple baseplates could be placed from each end and look consistent.

Awsome looking Enchanted Island! Big Grin  I haven't even made it myself in ldraw. Someone needs to make the corner wall rock & leaf pattern
(2019-07-03, 22:39)Mikkel Bech Jensen Wrote: These baseplates rarely had the patterns correctly aligned. It is not unusual to see two instances of the same set with baseplate patterns off by a stud or two. In this case it is very difficult to say if your version is off by a stud or mine was off by a stud. I just tried to make shure that the river would be perfectly aligned with the opposite end so multiple baseplates could be placed from each end and look consistent.

Awsome looking Enchanted Island! Big Grin  I haven't even made it myself in ldraw. Someone needs to make the corner wall rock & leaf pattern

Absolutely.  There's so many that need to be made, but we cannot expect the moon.  I'm realistic.

Was going to take a stab at the other two baseplates, but frankly don't have the patience anymore (too busy with two startups).  I'm taking a couple classes in the fall in design.  Maybe I can get the baseplates read into a file from a 3D scanner there, then do something with them.
Teaser...

...now on the PT :-)
did that thin red triangle seen in the screenshot slip through our reviews?
(2019-07-09, 6:41)Steffen Wrote: did that thin red triangle seen in the screenshot slip through our reviews?

The screenshot was made before the upload, there was some clean up in between
Your Torsi are also ready :-)

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »