Newbie Forum

Newbie Forum
The Lego Modeling community has a wealth of open models and tools. There is a wealth of documentation on the tools but it is scattered. I would like to propose a forum for tool documentation like the Ldraw wiki which appears to not be kept up. In one place, you could find a list of tools, tool comparisons, tutorials, actual examples. Newbies could indicate what is most helpful and expand the knowledge base. An archive could exist for retired materials.
RE: Newbie Forum
(2018-01-02, 16:50)karen lauro Wrote: The Lego Modeling community has a wealth of open models and tools. There is a wealth of documentation on the tools but it is scattered. I would like to propose a forum for tool documentation like the Ldraw wiki which appears to not be kept up. In one place, you could find a list of tools, tool comparisons, tutorials, actual examples. Newbies could indicate what is most helpful and expand the knowledge base. An archive could exist for retired materials.

This is what the wiki is for! Just create an account and edit. It only neglected because this is an all volunteer organization and we haven't had any volunteers that wanted to do work on it.
(2018-01-02, 18:06)Orion Pobursky Wrote:
(2018-01-02, 16:50)karen lauro Wrote: The Lego Modeling community has a wealth of open models and tools. There is a wealth of documentation on the tools but it is scattered. I would like to propose a forum for tool documentation like the Ldraw wiki which appears to not be kept up. In one place, you could find a list of tools, tool comparisons, tutorials, actual examples. Newbies could indicate what is most helpful and expand the knowledge base. An archive could exist for retired materials.

This is what the wiki is for! Just create an account and edit. It only neglected because this is an all volunteer organization and we haven't had any volunteers that wanted to do work on it.

I would be happy to do that if I had quality content. That is my problem. I know it exists but do not know where to find it.
(2018-01-02, 19:12)karen lauro Wrote:
(2018-01-02, 18:06)Orion Pobursky Wrote: This is what the wiki is for! Just create an account and edit. It only neglected because this is an all volunteer organization and we haven't had any volunteers that wanted to do work on it.

I would be happy to do that if I had quality content. That is my problem. I know it exists but do not know where to find it.

I'm not super concerned with quality. That can be refined out of an initial posting. I am very interested in a tutorial from new users for new users

You are perfectly right on this - but (there is always a but) to maintain such a thing requires time and since I have a little experience in writing tutorial I tell you that it requires a lot. But as Orion already put it: be our guest!

w.
LEGO ergo sum
(2018-01-02, 19:29)Orion Pobursky Wrote:
(2018-01-02, 19:12)karen lauro Wrote: I would be happy to do that if I had quality content. That is my problem. I know it exists but do not know where to find it.

I'm not super concerned with quality. That can be refined out of an initial posting. I am very interested in a tutorial from new users for new users

One other thing. It's fairly trivial to link a will article to the main site so if you want to write something or know of an existing article you'd like highlighted won't get "buried" in the wiki.
(2018-01-02, 20:05)Willy Tschager Wrote:

You are perfectly right on this - but (there is always a but) to maintain such a thing requires time and since I have a little experience in writing tutorial I tell you that it requires a lot. But as Orion already put it: be our guest!

w.

I do write. I have over 100 peer-reviewed papers/government reports/patents published. I would be willing to write.
Where would I find a list(s) of tools and docs? I can start by asking the pros what are their favs for different tasks.
(2018-01-02, 20:42)Orion Pobursky Wrote:
(2018-01-02, 19:29)Orion Pobursky Wrote: I'm not super concerned with quality. That can be refined out of an initial posting. I am very interested in a tutorial from new users for new users

One other thing. It's fairly trivial to link a will article to the main site so if you want to write something or know of an existing article you'd like highlighted won't get "buried" in the wiki.

That will work. If enough content exists it can become its own area/forum.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »