LDCad 1.6 Beta 2 (win+linux)

LDCad 1.6 Beta 2 (win+linux)
With the completion of the 8860 animation I think the latest build of LDCad is good enough to be the Beta 2 release.

It includes numerous bugfixes, some minor tweaks and extensions. Most of the extensions are the direct result of me working on the 8860 animation and thus mainly oriented on scripting and animation playback.

http://www.melkert.net/LDCad/download

It also includes the backbone framework aniTools.lua, as used in the 8860 animation. So maybe others want to give animation a try too Smile

This should be the last beta of 1.6 , so I don't plan to make any big changes anymore before releasing the final 1.6 version.

I'm going to concentrate on updating the documentation for now.

Any suggestions for the next major version (ether 1.7 or 2.0, not sure yet) are welcome though.
RE: LDCad 1.6 Beta 2 (win+linux)
Great work Roland and, I just wanted to thank you once more for all the hard work you put into LDCad. 
I've used LDCad so much by now, it's hard to imagine a world without it  Wink

I do got a little feature request (or maybe it's already in there but I wasn't able to find it): it would be nice if LDCad would show the number of selected parts in the information bar at the bottom.
(2017-02-26, 21:58)Roland Melkert Wrote: <snip>

Any suggestions for the next major version (ether 1.7 or 2.0, not sure yet) are welcome though.

Firstly echoing Merlijn's message, thanks very much for your continuing work on LDCAD. It is my preferred modelling tool of choice too.

A tool functional suggestion for your consideration. Would it be possible to add something to easily align parts to a "master" part. In the manner of Visio's "Align Object" (dialog window snapshot by means of an explanation);

[Image: 1_7_wishlist_align.jpg]

though perhaps with the alignment to the current editing plane.

I think this functionality would be useful when "tidying up" a model towards the end of modelling e.g. where part rotations/"un"-rotations may have caused part positions to have non-zero values after the decimal place.

A second suggestion is similar to the alignment but where the side of one part can be placed adjacent to the opposite side of a master part e.g. left side to right side. Where there are multiple parts selected, the parts would get "staggered".

Regards,

David
Awesome work Wink
I didn't realized that is was now possible to animate flex parts! BTW, I don't see 8860 model (and script!) in the examples?

Quote:I think this functionality would be useful when "tidying up" a model towards the end of modelling e.g. where part rotations/"un"-rotations may have caused part positions to have non-zero values after the decimal place.
Could be useful indeed. Snapping to grid (shift+home) can be useful for cleaning, but we may need snapping to occur in only one direction.
(2017-02-26, 21:58)Roland Melkert Wrote: Any suggestions for the next major version (ether 1.7 or 2.0, not sure yet) are welcome though.

I guess you've got already a long list of ideas popping up here and there in the forums. Would please share your ideas - beside the new GUI.

w.
LEGO ergo sum
(2017-02-27, 9:16)David Manley Wrote: Would it be possible to add something to easily align parts to a "master" part. In the manner of Visio's "Align Object"
I think this functionality would be useful when "tidying up" a model towards the end of modelling e.g. where part rotations/"un"-rotations may have caused part positions to have non-zero values after the decimal place.

I like this idea, I'll put it on the list for the next major version. Although you really should prevent rounding drift while editing. For example by using the 'home' key now and then while inserting new parts. Or by first selecting nicely round similar placed parts before adding a new one.

In the current version you can also align all individual parts in the selection separability to the current grid using the selection/placement/snap all to... menu item. This probably the feature I would extend into your suggested dialog.

(2017-02-27, 9:16)David Manley Wrote: A second suggestion is similar to the alignment but where the side of one part can be placed adjacent to the opposite side of a master part e.g. left side to right side. Where there are multiple parts selected, the parts would get "staggered".
Could be useful too, I could add it as an extra alignment option in the same dialog.
(2017-02-27, 9:54)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: Awesome work Wink
I didn't realized that is was now possible to animate flex parts! BTW, I don't see 8860 model (and script!) in the examples?

Yes it is not as efficient/fast as I would like it to be, but it is good enough to handle the 8860 animation in real time at 25 fps Smile

I wanted to include it, but it needs some more cleanup first. Most of the heavy lifting is done by the aniTools.lua module script of which the latest version is included in Beta 2.
(2017-02-27, 18:42)Willy Tschager Wrote: I guess you've got already a long list of ideas popping up here and there in the forums. Would please share your ideas - beside the new GUI.

Yes, I'm thinking about these things:

- Switchable window/desktop layout.
- Multi language (2.0 only).
- Use snap info as rotation points .
- A new generator (stickers and/or arrows).
- Even more scripting.
- Interactive animations.
- Maybe blender export, if I can find the time to dive into its file format.

Nothing set in stone though.
(2017-02-27, 8:50)Merlijn Wissink Wrote: I do got a little feature request (or maybe it's already in there but I wasn't able to find it): it would be nice if LDCad would show the number of selected parts in the information bar at the bottom.

I could add that to the info panel (left bottom icon), somehow I thought it was already on there though must have gotten lost on my todo list or something Smile
RE: LDCad 1.6 Beta 2 (raspberry pi)
I forgot I'm also able to build a Raspberry PI (3) version, as I own the model b version.

It takes ages to compile and is very slow unless you enable the full OpenGL driver, which would be fun if it wasn't as unstable like it currently is.

Anyway if anyone wants to try let me know.
Beside proper menus I'm still looking for these (please forgive me if I haven't found them in case they are already implemented):

https://forums.ldraw.org/thread-21693-po...l#pid23067
https://forums.ldraw.org/thread-18301-po...l#pid18307
https://forums.ldraw.org/thread-21693-po...l#pid23448
* Insert a STEP command in the source pan after the selected part and not at the end of the list
* Proper .MPD support with import/export model, rearrange the order of the .LDRs
* I struggle with the fact that I'm able to open more sessions in the same window but cannot copy one .LDR (not talking about the code but the file) to say an open .MPD. I would prefer having LDCad open a new window for the new session.
* Have the possibility to view LDCads metas in the source pan
* Icons for the grid (I'm hopeless with all the 1,2,3, CTRL+1, CTRL+2, c, o, ...)
* A more MLCad approach when it comes to move selected parts in the source pan to a new location. So just select and drag with the insertion point following the cursor up/down the list. 

Thanks, w.
LEGO ergo sum
(2017-02-28, 10:24)Willy Tschager Wrote: https://forums.ldraw.org/thread-21693-po...l#pid23067
https://forums.ldraw.org/thread-18301-po...l#pid18307
https://forums.ldraw.org/thread-21693-po...l#pid23448
Of those currently are implemented (in a slightly different form) :
Unofficial parts have a 'unOff' label in the bin.
Visual relative grid active color: Compass is now red when relative and abs/rel is shown in zoomed state.

Quote:* Insert a STEP command in the source pan after the selected part and not at the end of the list
I'm not sure if I understand you correctly but I think this has been possible pretty much from the start. Ether by dragging a step meta from the bin or by first selecting an existing step meta and pressing ins.

Quote:* Proper .MPD support with import/export model, rearrange the order of the .LDRs
Import export is there in the embed / detach options, order change can only be done one at a time. It has been on my todo list for, but I figured it very low priority.

Quote:* I struggle with the fact that I'm able to open more sessions in the same window but cannot copy one .LDR (not talking about the code but the file) to say an open .MPD. I would prefer having LDCad open a new window for the new session.
Maybe in 2.0, which will support multiple windows in order to support multiple monitors.

Quote:* Have the possibility to view LDCads metas in the source pan
Those are visible except for the grouping ones as even LDCad doesn't know where those are until it saves a file Smile

Quote:* Icons for the grid (I'm hopeless with all the 1,2,3, CTRL+1, CTRL+2, c, o, ...)
You can add those to the toolbar yourself if you really want, you'll need to supply 24x24 png's too though. 2.0 will get a more modern tool / ribbon bar opening up more options for this.

Quote:* A more MLCad approach when it comes to move selected parts in the source pan to a new location. So just select and drag with the insertion point following the cursor up/down the list. 
This is exactly how it currently works, so I'm thinking I'm misunderstanding your request. I'm working on documentation and one pending section is about the source window hopefully that will clear things up for you.
(2017-02-27, 23:06)Roland Melkert Wrote: I forgot I'm also able to build a Raspberry PI (3) version, as I own the model b version.

It takes ages to compile and is very slow unless you enable the full OpenGL driver, which would be fun if it wasn't as unstable like it currently is.

Anyway if anyone wants to try let me know.

I'll try it but what I really want is a MacOS version. Consider my offer to compile/build for you as a standing offer.
Awesome model and animation, 8860 is really a superb model!

Maybe it will not be possible to see this feature in 1.7, but I try to request it anyway Tongue :
Decreasing PBG parts count

Thank you for your work!!!
(2017-02-28, 23:48)Orion Pobursky Wrote: I'll try it but what I really want is a MacOS version. Consider my offer to compile/build for you as a standing offer.

Here you go:
http://www.melkert.net/action/download/L...y3.tar.bz2

But as said it is extremely slow on a vanilla PI, 5510.mpd taking ~4 seconds to render a single time. So it really need the full OpenGL driver, but that acted weird for me in means of random hangs (even in non GL using software, so probably caused by the desktop.)

It was compiled on "raspbian-jessie" but I don't think that should matter as long it is the same core hardware.

As for using LDCad on a mac: that should be possible using WINE with some font file symlinks, I made some improvements in 1.6 for that, see also:
https://forums.ldraw.org/thread-21766.html
RE: LDCad 1.6 (doc updates)
(2017-02-26, 21:58)Roland Melkert Wrote: I'm going to concentrate on updating the documentation for now.

I've finished reworking the first three pages.

Setup (fully rewritten)
http://www.melkert.net/LDCad/docs/start

GUI (extended)
http://www.melkert.net/LDCad/docs/gui

Basic Editing (fully rewritten)
http://www.melkert.net/LDCad/docs/basicEdit

Any feedback / spelling corrections are welcome.
Some proof reading... (remember I am not an native English guy!)
[quote pid='24797' dateline='1488759288']
Basic Editing (fully rewritten)
http://www.melkert.net/LDCad/docs/basicEdit
[/quote]
- The icon explains itself -> The I(nformation) icon explains itself

- So lets set view 1 to "Plain bricks", reachable by clicking the below sequence of cells starting at the bin's root. -> Suggest reminding the parts bin header
[Image: docGUI-ColorBin3.png] and add a link to relevant GUI intro section.

- [Image: docBinItem-sorted.png]  =>  [Image: docBinItem-basicBricks.png]  =>  [Image: docBinItem-plainBricks.png] -> add a legend on each image with group name?

- I would like to first walk through grid based editing -> maybe some check of the grid currently in use? people will have a hard time stacking bricks if they are in coarse symmetric grid...

- Lets select red -> Let's select red

- first select the color you want it to be using the color bin -> maybe "color wheel" instead? link to relevant GUI intro section?

- We pointed view 1 -> We pointed parts bin view 1

- The small window at the right displays -> The small window at the bottom right displays

- Don't worry to much about those numbers -> Don't worry too much about those numbers

-The while holding down the button move the mouse for a bit -> Then while holding down the button move the mouse for a bit

- Both rotation and movement can be done using ether the left or right -> Both rotation and movement can be done using either the left or right

- This is called "Zoom to cursor" mend to give the user more control over zooming -> This is called "Zoom to cursor" meant to give the user more control over zooming

- there are hotkeys available for choosing ether mode -> there are hotkeys available for choosing either mode

- Drag one into the editing area again but don't release it just jet -> Drag one into the editing area again but don't release it just yet

- Even easier then using the arrow keys is first selecting -> Even easier than using the arrow keys is first selecting

- This because LDCad will always use the last used  -> This is because LDCad will always use the last used

- A single complete brick layer is often the end of an building step -> A single complete brick layer is often the end of a building step

- ctrl can also be used to remove bricks from the selection by selecting ones that are already in the selection. -> ctrl can also be used to remove bricks from the selection by left clicking on ones that are already in the selection.

- Clicking the "Step 3/3" label itself -> Clicking the top left "Step 3/3" label itself

- (notice LDraw uses a negative up) -> (notice LDraw uses a negative up so green arrow points to ground direction)

- In the left top of the compass window you see the text "10 10" (while in top view). -> BTW, shouldn't it display the three directions step, the inactive axis beeing shawn in a smaller size? This way we could immediately identify the exact grid we are in (sometimes I am a bit lost in models that require many switches between sym and assym grids)

- clicking this label will also open the grid menu. -> Clicking this label will also open the grid menu.

- as it will save lots of time. -> as it will save a lot of time.

- This is done by clicking the small triangles in the middle of its grid -> This is done by clicking the small grey/green triangles in the middle of its grid

- Personally I also disable the auto editing plane orientation -> for sure a personal preference, I almost always use AEP mode Wink

- brick "sticks" to nearby bricks in a more LEGO like manner then when using grid mode. -> brick "sticks" to nearby bricks in a more LEGO like manner than when using grid mode.

- So while moving around you can also till rotate the new brick -> So while moving around you can still rotate the new brick (???)

- The key things to remember during part snapping are to always have a unblocked view upon the location you want to snap to and it is usually best to build from back to front. -> The key thing to remember during part snapping is to always have a unblocked view upon the location you want to snap to so it is usually best to build from back to front. (???)

- This is possible while adding a new part using the right mouse button, just keep the left button pressed too -> Not sure to understand...

- It is also possible to snap multiple new parts when using ins on a multi selection -> It is also possible to snap multiple new parts when using ins on a multi selection

- Finish it by adding a new step (ctrl+ins and try -> Finish it by adding a new step (ctrl+ins) and try

- At this point I think you probably familiar enough with the basics of editing -> At this point I think you are probably familiar enough with the basics of editing

- Next disable part snapping for a bit as this makes the problem we dealing with easier to explain. do this using the compass or the shift+p hotkey. -> Next disable part snapping for a bit as this makes the problem we are dealing with easier to explain. Do this using the compass or the shift+p hotkey.

- The correct overall way of doing this sort of angular building is by using ether a submodel -> The correct overall way of doing this sort of angular building is by using either a submodel

- Lets explore using the relative grid method -> Let's explore using the relative grid method

- "prefs/editing" menu if it borders you. -> "prefs/editing" menu if it bothers you.

- Try completing the tree as shown in the picutre at the left. -> Try completing the tree as shown in the picture at the left.
I have a small feature request that I hope you can fit in before the final release of 1.6 (I know, I'm probably last minute here  Rolleyes ). The File Cleanup tools are a huge help when checking/cleaning/preparing files for the OMR. However, it's missing 1 thing: being able to set 0 !LDRAW_ORG Model (or 0 !LDRAW_ORG Unofficial_Model). At the moment, it doesn't have those options, but it would be nice if I could:
  • Set the model type for all submodels to either of those 2 options.
  • Change a current type the other type (most probably unofficial to official).
Although option 1 is probably the most useful.

With that included, it would be possible to create a fully OMR header (as far as I know), like this:
Code:
0 FILE 21105 - The Village.ldr
0 The Village
0 Name: 21105 - The Village.ldr
0 Author: Merlijn Wissink [Legolijntje]
0 !LDRAW_ORG Model
0 !LICENSE Redistributable under CCAL version 2.0 : see CAreadme.txt
I haven't used any of the previous 1.6 betas. I'm excited to give buffer exchange a go - I need it for a build I'm doing today.
I have installed 1.6b2 in a separate folder next to 1.5 (just to be on the safe side) and pointed it to my LDraw parts folder under Users/public.
Unfortunately all I get is a black screen with bottom and top bar.
Can you think of anything I can do to remedy this?
[Image: wgRd9fBqO-74flYqAVm4Tl33sGspDUUwZV1uBlJ6...94-h589-no]
(2017-03-06, 19:12)Jetro de Château Wrote: I haven't used any of the previous 1.6 betas. I'm excited to give buffer exchange a go - I need it for a build I'm doing today.
I have installed 1.6b2 in a separate folder next to 1.5 (just to be on the safe side) and pointed it to my LDraw parts folder under Users/public.
Unfortunately all I get is a black screen with bottom and top bar.
Can you think of anything I can do to remedy this?

Looks like the OpenGL initialization failed which is weird if you used 1.5 without problems before.

Could you send me the contents of "%appdata%\LDCad\logs" folder. And if 1.5 used the same folder it might help if you run 1.5 one time too so I can compare the logs of 1.5 and 1.6.
Here's the snap information for part 30153, so you can include it in the next release  Smile :

Code:
0 !LDCAD SNAP_CYL [gender=M] [caps=none] [secs=R 4 6] [center=true] [pos=0 3 0] [ori=-1 0 0 0 -1 0 0 0 1]

And part 95343:
Code:
0 !LDCAD SNAP_CYL [gender=F] [caps=one] [secs=R 8 6] [pos=0 -21 0] [ori=1 0 0 0 -1 0 0 0 -1]
0 !LDCAD SNAP_CYL [gender=F] [caps=one] [secs=R 6 4] [ori=-1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 -1]
0 !LDCAD SNAP_FGR [group=win-1-2-266] [genderOfs=F] [seq=2 26 2] [radius=4] [pos=0 -21 0] [ori=0 1 0 -1 0 0 0 0 1]

And the accompanying part 95344:
Code:
0 !LDCAD SNAP_FGR [group=win-1-2-266] [genderOfs=M] [seq=2 26 2] [radius=4] [ori=0 1 0 -1 0 0 0 0 1]

Also, did you read my above post about my small feature request? Not that I want an immediate reply or anything, but just to make sure, since you did reply to Jetro so it's possible you missed it so don't get me wrong  Shy
(2017-03-06, 19:41)Roland Melkert Wrote: Could you send me the contents of "%appdata%\LDCad\logs" folder. And if 1.5 used the same folder it might help if you run 1.5 one time too so I can compare the logs of 1.5 and 1.6.

I couldn't attach them to this message so I've sent them by email. Thanks in advance!

Jetro
And 19121:
Code:
0 !LDCAD SNAP_CYL [gender=F] [caps=one] [secs=S 6 4] [pos=0 48 0] [grid=C 4 1 20 0]
(2017-03-07, 14:17)Merlijn Wissink Wrote: Here's the snap information...
Thanks I'll add them.

(2017-03-07, 14:17)Merlijn Wissink Wrote: Also, did you read my above post about my small feature request? Not that I want an immediate reply or anything, but just to make sure, since you did reply to Jetro so it's possible you missed it so don't get me wrong  Shy
Yes I did see I was doing some checking the impact of such a change before answering, but real-life got in the way.

I'll try to add a "Force LDraw org official model" checkbox to the header options, unless it causes to many changes.

Bugs I usually prioritize as I hate scratches on my new versions Smile
(2017-03-07, 14:26)Jetro de Château Wrote:
(2017-03-06, 19:41)Roland Melkert Wrote: Could you send me the contents of "%appdata%\LDCad\logs" folder. And if 1.5 used the same folder it might help if you run 1.5 one time too so I can compare the logs of 1.5 and 1.6.

I couldn't attach them to this message so I've sent them by email. Thanks in advance!

Jetro
Nothing special in the logs, are you using a different main.cfg for the 1.6 version (other folder in %appdata%)? If so it could be the 1.5 version is using a different (non FBO) rendering method.

In that case you could try copying the main.cfg from 1.5 to the 1.6 version.
(2017-03-07, 19:22)Roland Melkert Wrote: Yes I did see I was doing some checking the impact of such a change before answering, but real-life got in the way.

I'll try to add a "Force LDraw org official model" checkbox to the header options, unless it causes to many changes.

Bugs I usually prioritize as I hate scratches on my new versions Smile

Ok, no worries. Was just wondering, because I personally sometimes miss certain new messages when there a multiple new ones in the same topic.
First time round I installed 1.6 on top of 1.5 and got a black screen. I reinstalled 1.5 and everything went back to normal. Then I installed 1.6 in it's own folder with a different name (LDCad_1.6B2). This automatically generates a different folder under %appdata%.

I have copied over main.cfg from the 1.5 installation into 1.6, overwriting the existing file there. This results in having to accept the conditions of the software again. It did not ask me to locate the LDraw library or choose whether to use the zipped file (which I did the first time round). After that I see the empty interface for a split second, and then the screen goes black again.
(2017-03-07, 21:07)Jetro de Château Wrote: First time round I installed 1.6 on top of 1.5 and got a black screen. I reinstalled 1.5 and everything went back to normal. Then I installed 1.6 in it's own folder with a different name (LDCad_1.6B2). This automatically generates a different folder under %appdata%.

I have copied over main.cfg from the 1.5 installation into 1.6, overwriting the existing file there. This results in having to accept the conditions of the software again. It did not ask me to locate the LDraw library or choose whether to use the zipped file (which I did the first time round). After that I see the empty interface for a split second, and then the screen goes black again.

Did you use the final 1.5 or one of its beta's ?

The only rendering related change in 1.6 is the default enabling of MSAA, but 1.5 had this option too so unless you were using the previous beta without it it won't use the default setting.

In the 1.6 main.cfg try changing the "aaKind" line into
aaKind=none
(2017-03-07, 21:34)Roland Melkert Wrote:
(2017-03-07, 21:07)Jetro de Château Wrote: First time round I installed 1.6 on top of 1.5 and got a black screen. I reinstalled 1.5 and everything went back to normal. Then I installed 1.6 in it's own folder with a different name (LDCad_1.6B2). This automatically generates a different folder under %appdata%.

Did you use the final 1.5 or one of its beta's ?

The only rendering related change in 1.6 is the default enabling of MSAA, but 1.5 had this option too so unless you were using the previous beta without it it won't use the default setting.

In the 1.6 main.cfg try changing the "aaKind" line into
aaKind=none

1.5 straight as fas as I can tell - I don't see anywhere in the app where I can confirm that.
aaKind is set to none already
I just realised the 1.6b2 is 64 bit, but 1.5 is 32. Both are installed under Program Files (x86). Could that cause issues?
(2017-03-07, 22:49)Jetro de Château Wrote: 1.5 straight as fas as I can tell - I don't see anywhere in the app where I can confirm that.
I just realised the 1.6b2 is 64 bit, but 1.5 is 32. Both are installed under Program Files (x86). Could that cause issues?

Program files version doesn't matter, but it could be the intel driver has a problem using GL from a 64 bit exe for some reason.

Please try replacing LDCad.exe in the 1.6b2 folder with the LDCad32.exe (renamed to LDCad.exe) from the 1.6 archive version as found on my site.

note: It seems your driver is very old (>5 years??)
http://binarydb.com/driver/Intel%28R%29-...s-v60190/1
you might want to upgrade it to the latest.
(2017-03-07, 23:12)Roland Melkert Wrote:
(2017-03-07, 22:49)Jetro de Château Wrote: 1.5 straight as fas as I can tell - I don't see anywhere in the app where I can confirm that.

Program files version doesn't matter, but it could be the intel driver has a problem using GL from a 64 bit exe for some reason.

Please try replacing LDCad.exe in the 1.6b2 folder with the LDCad32.exe (renamed to LDCad.exe) from the 1.6 archive version as found on my site.

note: It seems your driver is very old (>5 years??)
http://binarydb.com/driver/Intel%28R%29-...s-v60190/1
you might want to upgrade it to the latest.

My laptop is indeed 5 years old and I have not been able to find a newer version of the Intel driver in any way (I have tried the manufacturer, the Intel Driver Update utility and also installed a program called Driver Booster 4 to check for available updates and it comes up empty)

I have also extracted the LDCad32.exe file and placed it in the corresponding folder. The result is the same: a black screen after seeing the interface for a split second.

After that I have taken the unusual step of deleting the contents of the installation folder as well as deleting the corresponding folder under %appdata% and then extracting the archive version of LDCad1.6b2 in the now empty folder. Same result, and no new folder under %appdata%.
(2017-03-08, 14:32)Jetro de Château Wrote: My laptop is indeed 5 years old and I have not been able to find a newer version of the Intel driver in any way (I have tried the manufacturer, the Intel Driver Update utility and also installed a program called Driver Booster 4 to check for available updates and it comes up empty)

I have also extracted the LDCad32.exe file and placed it in the corresponding folder. The result is the same: a black screen after seeing the interface for a split second.

After that I have taken the unusual step of deleting the contents of the installation folder as well as deleting the corresponding folder under %appdata% and then extracting the archive version of LDCad1.6b2 in the now empty folder. Same result, and no new folder under %appdata%.
Thanks for trying.

If 1.5 works 1.6 should too as I don't use any additional OpenGL features or something. I'll go dig a bit more in the (minor) rendering changes I made between 1.5 and 1.6 to see if I can find something that could cause this.
RE: LDCad 1.6 Beta 2 (bug warning)
Someone pointed out the template related header dialog will crash the program when clicking "Ok" on Linux and it does apparently nothing on Windows.

This is a severe bug, so please use "Discard" on those dialogs for now, I'll probably release a Beta 2a soon to fix this I just want to check some things for the "black screen" problem reported in this thread too.
Jetro have you tried disabling FBO?, in main.cfg change the frameRenderMethod line to

frameRenderMethod=basic

If this also doesn't work I can exclude some potential causes.
Thanks Philo,

I've processed your notes.

(2017-03-06, 11:02)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: - In the left top of the compass window you see the text "10 10" (while in top view). -> BTW, shouldn't it display the three directions step, the inactive axis beeing shawn in a smaller size? This way we could immediately identify the exact grid we are in (sometimes I am a bit lost in models that require many switches between sym and assym grids)
The original idea was so you know what is 'horizontal' and 'vertical' on the current editing plane. But in practice it is far more valuable to know the xyz steppings indeed. I'll change it and maybe make it an option.

(2017-03-06, 11:02)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: - Personally I also disable the auto editing plane orientation -> for sure a personal preference, I almost always use AEP mode Wink
I find it very annoying if the grid is vertical when using snapping, also it hurts the match finding it is doing somewhat as the location of the new part highly influences that.

(2017-03-06, 11:02)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: - This is possible while adding a new part using the right mouse button, just keep the left button pressed too -> Not sure to understand...
Basically you can rotate the camera and move the new part around at the same time. I changed it into:

If a part doesn't "go where you want it" try rotating the camera a bit. This is possible while holding a new part in "mid air" using the right mouse button, just keep the left mouse button pressed too.
Quote:I find it very annoying if the grid is vertical when using snapping, also it hurts the match finding it is doing somewhat as the location of the new part highly influences that.
Probably because I mainly do Technic where there is no vertical in assemblies (even if the model has one!)

Quote:If a part doesn't "go where you want it" try rotating the camera a bit. This is possible while holding a new part in "mid air" using the right mouse button, just keep the left mouse button pressed too.
Ah! nice to know. I used to drop the part before rotating the view.
I'm wondering; is there any way to use LGEO when exporting to Pov-Ray using LDCad?
And what can I do with the 'POV Include files' options?

Also, in there's a little typo: the dropdown box for Include location has an option 'before hlobal settings'  Wink
Hello Roland!

This time I just want to thank you for your excellent editor. Yes, no bug report, no feature request Big Grin 

You know - it's nice and useful to test the editor, think about new features, add more snapping data... but then, the time  of "a real battle" comes and one needs just to use it - and rely on it, that it helps to plan the model it would be hard, if not impossible, to prepare without LDCad. And that's exactly my case now: I'm finishing my models for the next round of LEGO exhibitions in Czech republic and LDCad helped me a lot to prepare my microscale skyscrapers:
London Gherkin, London Walkie Talkie and London Eye.

Some of them were selected by both ArchBrick and Brothers Brick. And LDCad helped a lot. Many thanks for such a great ldraw editor, Roland!
(2017-03-13, 19:49)Merlijn Wissink Wrote: I'm wondering; is there any way to use LGEO when exporting to Pov-Ray using LDCad?
Not yet, I do plan to add it though, just have to find the time to get familiar with the (currently very fragmented) library myself.

(2017-03-13, 19:49)Merlijn Wissink Wrote: And what can I do with the 'POV Include files' options?
Whatever you want Smile They are there to override things using your own .pov files or add things like background scenery etc. You could also just edit the resulting .pov file but using the includes options prevents having to adjust it again when you regenerate the main .pov.

Initially I also wanted to use this feature to allow things like LGEO substitution but currently I don't think that's the best way to do it. It might be possible though using some very advanced SDL.

(2017-03-13, 19:49)Merlijn Wissink Wrote: Also, in there's a little typo: the dropdown box for Include location has an option 'before hlobal settings'  Wink
Thanks, I'll correct that one.
(2017-03-13, 20:19)Milan Vančura Wrote: Hello Roland!

This time I just want to thank you for your excellent editor. Yes, no bug report, no feature request Big Grin 

You know - it's nice and useful to test the editor, think about new features, add more snapping data... but then, the time  of "a real battle" comes and one needs just to use it - and rely on it, that it helps to plan the model it would be hard, if not impossible, to prepare without LDCad. And that's exactly my case now: I'm finishing my models for the next round of LEGO exhibitions in Czech republic and LDCad helped me a lot to prepare my microscale skyscrapers:
London Gherkin, London Walkie Talkie and London Eye.

Some of them were selected by both ArchBrick and Brothers Brick. And LDCad helped a lot. Many thanks for such a great ldraw editor, Roland!
Thanks Milan,

New features are always on my mind too the program will probably never be finished Smile
(2017-03-08, 21:25)Roland Melkert Wrote: Jetro have you tried disabling FBO?, in main.cfg change the frameRenderMethod line to

frameRenderMethod=basic

That did it! It's working now - ready to check out all the new functions!
(2017-03-13, 22:18)Jetro de Château Wrote:
(2017-03-08, 21:25)Roland Melkert Wrote: Jetro have you tried disabling FBO?, in main.cfg change the frameRenderMethod line to

frameRenderMethod=basic

That did it! It's working now - ready to check out all the new functions!

This indicates a driver problem which might go away in a future version without me doing anything. As it is probably depended on OpenGL command order and or the state of things at certain points. These things are impossible for me to test/resolve without a similar environment.

Now the bad: Rendering without FBO can be a great deal slower as it now has to redraw everything on screen all the time. You might want to minimize the visibility of part bin groups like the MPD contents etc. And maybe disable hot tracking to minimize redraws.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »