LDraw as a "poor-man's" CAD method

LDraw as a "poor-man's" CAD method
[19:15, 16-11-2020] Jaco van der Molen: Hi all, somehow I found this. http://ianfatash.szm.com/FATASH-INDUSTRY.../LDCad.htm
[19:27, 16-11-2020] Orion Pobursky: I've been touting LDraw as a "poor-man's" CAD method for years. Looks like someone finally did it.
[19:29, 16-11-2020] Orion Pobursky: Not a huge fan of them using our logos but I'll prolly get nowhere if I ask them to remove them.
[19:33, 16-11-2020] Jaco van der Molen: Why not? Is this not breaking some license agreements? What they did however is rather nice though.
[19:34, 16-11-2020] Orion Pobursky: You have a point. I do think the CAD work is great.

Do we find this OK?
Like Orion said: they use our logo's, aswel as Rolands LDcad and Travis' LDView.
Jaco van der Molen
lpub.binarybricks.nl
RE: LDraw as a "poor-man's" CAD method
I thought some more. I really don't have a problem with the logo use. It not like they're passing themselves off as official.
(2020-11-16, 19:09)Orion Pobursky Wrote: I thought some more. I really don't have a problem with the logo use. It not like they're passing themselves off as official.

I don't think it's a problem, as they don't try to fool people. Actually these logo can be thought as a tribute. Nice job otherwise Wink
Interesting to see, but without much context what they do. Is it just somebody who authored his bike in LDraw?

I also did some IKEA BESTA Furniture and custom door in LDraw, as it was easier for me than to read about SketchUp :-)
I'm not exactly sure what the page is trying to show, since it doesn't have any text describing how the geometry was generated. Opening one of the files, I see that it's just a bunch of triangles, so I assume it was converted from some other format.

The LDView logos are clearly associated with LDView itself (along with actual screenshots of LDView), and I can't see anything wrong with that. It is interesting that they use LDView 4.2 (from 2016) on a page that looks more like what you would expect from a page from the late 90s.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »