Multiple LGEO parts libraries

Multiple LGEO parts libraries
I'm looking through some old files and am confused about all the different LGEO parts libraries. I have the following subdirectories in my LGEO folder, which may or may not be standard (if there is a standard).

Code:
ar            Anton Raves?
lg            Lutz Uhlmann?
lg_darats        http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=108739
lg_owen        https://dl.dropbox.com/u/59864198/LDraw/Other%20Files/LGEO-Update.zip
lgeofix        http://www.hassings.dk/l3/lgeofix.html
stl_darats

Do any of them look familiar to you? What order do I include them in my POV-Ray INI file library paths?

This would make a good tutorial subject assuming we can figure it out.
RE: Multiple LGEO parts libraries
The Anton Raves library was a LEGO parts library made by Anton Raves. He stopped working on it. It was never related to LGEO in any way, other than that it had the same basic goal as LGEO, which was to provide high-quality POV definitions for LEGO parts.
(2016-09-04, 1:11)Travis Cobbs Wrote: It was never related to LGEO in any way

L3P.exe can switch back and forth between LGEO and Anton's parts interchangeably, so they *are* (practically) related to those of us who use this program.

[edit]

Just checked to make sure that LDraw AIOI installs Anton's parts by default in the LGEO directory.

[edit]

Also, why are the LGEO parts installed in "Program Files"? Wouldn't it be better to put them in the public documents folder with the other parts?
(2016-09-04, 1:21)Michael Horvath Wrote:
(2016-09-04, 1:11)Travis Cobbs Wrote: It was never related to LGEO in any way

L3P.exe can switch back and forth between LGEO and Anton's parts interchangeably, so they *are* (practically) related to those of us who use this program.

[edit]

Just checked to make sure that LDraw AIOI installs Anton's parts by default in the LGEO directory.

[edit]

Also, why are the LGEO parts installed in "Program Files"? Wouldn't it be better to put them in the public documents folder with the other parts?

I don't know the reason for sure, but I can guess. The LDraw directory is put in the public documents folder because programs (LDView for sure, maybe others, maybe not) write to it. (LDView for its automatic unofficial parts support. That feature of LDView was written before programs writing to Program Files became verboten from Microsoft.) The LGEO parts aren't updated by any LDraw-compatible programs, so it was probably decided that putting them in an essentially read-only location was OK.
(2016-09-04, 4:48)Travis Cobbs Wrote: The LGEO parts aren't updated by any LDraw-compatible programs, so it was probably decided that putting them in an essentially read-only location was OK.

No, but they *are* updated occasionally by people. Which makes the UAC prompts even more annoying.
(2016-09-03, 23:34)Michael Horvath Wrote: I'm looking through some old files and am confused about all the different LGEO parts libraries. I have the following subdirectories in my LGEO folder, which may or may not be standard (if there is a standard).

Code:
ar            Anton Raves?
lg            Lutz Uhlmann?
lg_darats        http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=108739
lg_owen        https://dl.dropbox.com/u/59864198/LDraw/Other%20Files/LGEO-Update.zip
lgeofix        http://www.hassings.dk/l3/lgeofix.html
stl_darats

Do any of them look familiar to you? What order do I include them in my POV-Ray INI file library paths?

This would make a good tutorial subject assuming we can figure it out.

My library is an update of the official one, and the owen one. It should be copied in the lg folder after those two because it is overwrting some parts already existing.

You should install, the lg one first, then copy owen's one, and finally mine with the lg and stl folder. Make sure you always copy lg parts in the same lg folder or it will not overwrite files.

My library is still WIP, that is why it is not included yet in the AIOI. I need to wotk on it but have not enough time right now.
Is copying the files all I need to do?

Do you use a tool to update LDView's "LGEO.xml"?
(2016-09-05, 11:17)Michael Horvath Wrote: Is copying the files all I need to do?

You need to copy the files in a folder, declare the folder in povray and generate the pov file with ldview, using a proper lgeo.xml.

Yes I have a tool, but it is specific to my system, I can't share it.
But the ldraw.xml I provide should do the job.
(2016-09-05, 20:29)Damien Roux Wrote:
(2016-09-05, 11:17)Michael Horvath Wrote: Is copying the files all I need to do?

You need to copy the files in a folder, declare the folder in povray and generate the pov file with ldview, using a proper lgeo.xml.

Yes I have a tool, but it is specific to my system, I can't share it.
But the ldraw.xml I provide should do the job.

I've noticed some broken stuff in your collection:

1. Your LGEO.xml lists "lg_3794a.inc" but the file does not exist.
2. Ditto "lg_2345p44.inc".
3. Your "lg_defs.inc" file is heavily outdated and discard's Owen's changes. For instance:
4. The variable LG_INNER_CORNER_SPACE is called in several files, but is undefined.
5. The object "lg_tech_knob_join" is undefined.
6. Ditto "lg_tech_knob_join_clear".
7. I stopped checking at this point. Instead, I uninstalled your LGEO parts because I don't have the time to bug test your stuff.
I know that, that's why I said it is WIP and I give compatibility warnings with Owen's library in the topic where I share my library.

I need to rebuilt my lg_defs.inc file.

As I'm modeling my parts in stl, the only lg primitives I need are studs, cylinder and column. I don't need the others, that's why I haven't updated ny lg_defs with Owen's one. However, there should by only a few parts that give problems and I'm currently remodelling them.
It should also be noted that Owen's changes to LGEO include support for POV-Ray 3.7's srgb color declarations instead of rgb. LDView does *not* support them, however. So there may be color incompatibilities.
Miscellaneous observations:

1. "lg_medium_violet" is missing from "lg_color.inc". Fix:

Code:
// 112 MEDIUM VIOLET / 112 MEDIUM BLUISH VIOLET
#declare lg_medium_violet = texture {
 pigment { color srgb <201,202,226>/255 }
 finish  { lg_solid_finish }
}
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »