Running LDraw software on Macbook OS X El Capitan (10.11.5)

Running LDraw software on Macbook OS X El Capitan (10.11.5)
Hi all,

While looking for a new Windows laptop, I had my Macbook from work reinstalled and updated to OS X El Capitan 10.11.5.
So far, I got the native Mac LDraw software running (Bricksmith, LPub and LDView).
LDD updated and Brickstore running again (hung constantly on old OS).

And I got MLCad to work using Wine.
Very nice.

So, I had hope that LDCad would run too. I needed X11 for that too.
In fact, LDCad did start and I was able to open a model that rendered (slow, but it did):

Alas, the menu and all other interface elements did not work.

Any chance to get that working too?
Jaco van der Molen
lpub.binarybricks.nl
RE: Running LDraw software on Macbook OS X El Capitan (10.11.5)
(2016-05-24, 19:48)Jaco van der Molen Wrote: Alas, the menu and all other interface elements did not work.

Any chance to get that working too?

It sure looks weird :Smile

You could try disabling FBO (if it isn't already) by setting the prefs/opengl/frame render method  to 'normal'

Also as mac's are already unix based virtualizing linux combined with the linux version might wok better / faster.
(2016-05-24, 22:21)Roland Melkert Wrote: You could try disabling FBO (if it isn't already) by setting the prefs/opengl/frame render method  to 'normal'
I cannot reach any of the menu's. Can that be done in config files?
Roland Melkert Wrote:Also as mac's are already unix based virtualizing linux combined with the linux version might wok better / faster.
Hmm, good one. Is there a shell or something for Mac that can run Linux programs, like Wine does with Windows?
Jaco van der Molen
lpub.binarybricks.nl
For the record: this is a screenshot of MLCad running in Wine on my Mac. Works like a charm.

Jaco van der Molen
lpub.binarybricks.nl
(2016-05-24, 22:21)Roland Melkert Wrote: Also as mac's are already unix based virtualizing linux combined with the linux version might wok better / faster.

I've done some research on running Linux binaries on a Mac, but this is too complex for me.
I tried some things out, but none of them worked.
Still, I would be interested in having LDCad compiled as a native Mac OS X app.
But I am no developer and I understood you neither have the tools nor sufficient knowledge to do that.

What we are looking for is someone with Mac development skills that can compile Mac software from source code.
This was done with LPub too way back, but I don't know who did this.

Then, there is some LDraw software made for Mac: Bricksmith and LDView.
Perhaps the respected authors of these tools can work something out?
Travis?
Allan?
Jaco van der Molen
lpub.binarybricks.nl
(2016-05-25, 5:40)Jaco van der Molen Wrote:
(2016-05-24, 22:21)Roland Melkert Wrote: You could try disabling FBO (if it isn't already) by setting the prefs/opengl/frame render method  to 'normal'
I cannot reach any of the menu's. Can that be done in config files?

Yes change main.cfg so it has

Code:
frameRenderMethod=basic

In the [rendering] section.

This disables FBO which probably causes the partial rendering as it isn't fully supported under wine or something. Basic rendering will be much slower though as even a highlighting change in e..g a menu will cause a re-rendering of everything on screen.
(2016-05-25, 10:08)Jaco van der Molen Wrote: I've done some research on running Linux binaries on a Mac, but this is too complex for me.
I tried some things out, but none of them worked.
Still, I would be interested in having LDCad compiled as a native Mac OS X app.
But I am no developer and I understood you neither have the tools nor sufficient knowledge to do that.

What we are looking for is someone with Mac development skills that can compile Mac software from source code.
This was done with LPub too way back, but I don't know who did this.

Then, there is some LDraw software made for Mac: Bricksmith and LDView.
Perhaps the respected authors of these tools can work something out?
Travis?
Allan?

Actually I've been looking into apple laptops but a semi decent one would set me back 1100 euro. A windows Laptop would have twice the specs for that kind of money.

Also I'm thinking about starting LDCad 2.0 after 1.6 which I'm considering to Open Source from the get go. I'm just not sure if it will be C++ again (I'm also considering Python).
(2016-05-25, 17:31)Roland Melkert Wrote: Actually I've been looking into apple laptops but a semi decent one would set me back 1100 euro. A windows Laptop would have twice the specs for that kind of money.

Also I'm thinking about starting LDCad 2.0 after 1.6 which I'm considering to Open Source from the get go. I'm just not sure if it will be C++ again (I'm also considering Python).

If all you want is a Mac, the least expensive way is with the Mac Mini, which starts at $499 in the US. However, that doesn't include any peripherals (monitor, keyboard, mouse), so it's definitely not a steal. And upgrading it from 4GB to 8GB RAM is an extra $100. If you were looking at Mac laptops as a possible do-everything laptop on which you planned to install Boot Camp, the price is definitely high.

Having said all that, I would be surprised if you could get a Windows laptop with comparable specs for a huge amount less; it's just that you have a lot less control over the specs of the Mac laptops. They all pretty much come with SSDs, which is great for performance, but bad for price. Many of them come with retina displays, which is also good for utility, but bad for price. And they tend to be very thin and light. The MacBook Air is definitely charging a premium for being thin and light, but it's now the least expensive Mac laptop. And as SSDs have come down in price SSD-based Mac laptops haven't come down comparably.
(2016-05-25, 21:59)Travis Cobbs Wrote: Having said all that, I would be surprised if you could get a Windows laptop with comparable specs for a huge amount less; it's just that you have a lot less control over the specs of the Mac laptops. They all pretty much come with SSDs, which is great for performance, but bad for price. Many of them come with retina displays, which is also good for utility, but bad for price. And they tend to be very thin and light.

bit off topic..

I did only a quick lookup on a large Dutch price comparing site at 1100 EURO it lists

Apple MacBook Air 2015 13,3" 1440x900, 4GB, 128GB SSD, iCore 5, Intel HD Graphics

At the same price it also lists an (among other things)

Asus laptop -> 15,6" 1920x1080, 8GB, 256GB SSD, iCore 7, Intel HD Graphics

and a

Acer laptop -> 17,3" 1920x1080, 8GB, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD, iCore 7, GeForce GT940M

Quality would differ off course but at first glance that's double the specs Smile
(2016-05-26, 20:24)Roland Melkert Wrote: bit off topic..

I did only a quick lookup on a large Dutch price comparing site at 1100 EURO it lists

Apple MacBook Air 2015 13,3" 1440x900, 4GB, 128GB SSD, iCore 5, Intel HD Graphics

At the same price it also lists an (among other things)

Asus laptop -> 15,6" 1920x1080, 8GB, 256GB SSD, iCore 7, Intel HD Graphics

and a

Acer laptop -> 17,3" 1920x1080, 8GB, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD, iCore 7, GeForce GT940M

Quality would differ off course but at first glance that's double the specs Smile

Tweakers?  Tongue

I'm personally not very fond of macbooks. Well, hardware-wise they are very nice, but I don't really like the OS and I especially don't really like the company (Apple).
Having said that, I do understand why a lot of people prefer Apple products. For the' average consumer' it's a neat all-in-one system and the whole seamless working Apple ecosystem (iPhone + Mac + macbook etc.) makes it complete.

What's your reason for considering a mac product? I don't mean it in a negative way, just genuinly interested Smile
(2016-05-26, 20:56)Merlijn Wissink Wrote: Tweakers?  Tongue

I'm personally not very fond of macbooks. Well, hardware-wise they are very nice, but I don't really like the OS and I especially don't really like the company (Apple).
Having said that, I do understand why a lot of people prefer Apple products. For the' average consumer' it's a neat all-in-one system and the whole seamless working Apple ecosystem (iPhone + Mac + macbook etc.) makes it complete.

What's your reason for considering a mac product? I don't mean it in a negative way, just genuinly interested Smile

Yes Smile

I'm looking around for a laptop for my work anyways. It dosn't have to be Windows perse (anymore) as I'm doing more and more web development. I wouldn't mind getting a Linux based laptop (or an os-less one) ether but those are still very rare.
(2016-05-26, 20:56)Merlijn Wissink Wrote: What's your reason for considering a mac product? I don't mean it in a negative way, just genuinly interested Smile

So Roland can build a Mac version of LDCad for me... eh... us... eh... ;-)
Jaco van der Molen
lpub.binarybricks.nl
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »