LDPE's project concept

LDPE's project concept
Hi,

I would be glad if someone could explain me LDPE's project concept and it's usefulness. Since I usually just open/save .dats I never came across the moment I would not have clicked away that "Save project dialog".

w.
LEGO ergo sum
Re: LDPE's project concept
Same thing here. Currently seems to me a nuisance/hassle (asking to save project I don't use anyway).
I can't say I fully understand it yet, but I used it during the making of all the 17 Technic Constraction parts I made recently.

Here's how I think it might be intended.
LPDE scans, at start up, two libraries. Official and Unofficial Part, including all subfiles and primitives.
The creation of a Project adds a third library, to scan at start up, containing all the new files you make in a correct library like structure. It made all the new subfiles I made easy to access. Just right click on the file you want to edit, an choose 'view in 3d/text editor'.

I don't see the point in making a new project, including a complete library structure, everytime I wan't to make/clean a part. I keep all my new parts in separate folders, and move them to the unofficial folder after they are uploaded to the PT. Handling my files should be as easy as in windows explorer. LDPE can't find a correctly placed subfile in a folder (named 's' in windows explorer) unless you first create a project. It seems to need to know were to look for it.

I still find the editing of a part-files subfile structure much easier in LDDP, using the move, or rotate, in x,y,z-direction-buttons. LDDP rotate everyting around world origin.
The obstacle is the Manipulator placement meny. I want the setting of the rotation center in LDPE to become better. I ended up using a helper file to set the manipulator were I wanted it to be. But I'm beginning to like the Manipulator.
My problem with the structure is that the "new Project" thing does not work on my PC. I always get an error report.

Therefore I create a directory with the part name and chose "Open Project", then the structure is created.

Magnus Forsberg Wrote:I don't see the point in making a new project, including a complete library structure, everytime I wan't to make/clean a part. I keep all my new parts in separate folders, and move them to the unofficial folder after they are uploaded to the PT. Handling my files should be as easy as in windows explorer. LDPE can't find a correctly placed subfile in a folder (named 's' in windows explorer) unless you first create a project. It seems to need to know were to look for it.

I use the structure LDPE creates, sometimes though I forget to move, respectively create the new DAT file in the "parts" folder. When I want to build with sub-files I save them in the project directory. That works pretty fine. I need to say I never really used LDDP to make parts, I don't have experience with LDDP.

Magnus Forsberg Wrote:The obstacle is the Manipulator placement meny. I want the setting of the rotation center in LDPE to become better. I ended up using a helper file to set the manipulator were I wanted it to be. But I'm beginning to like the Manipulator.
The manipulator is really nice, but the enhancement that was posted before (I think) to enter an absolute position will be beneficial. Using it to move/rotate subfiles and now with the double-click to cneter it on the selection, it is really good.
LDPE's project concept / Intention, Issues & Ideas
(2016-03-31, 14:29)Philippe Hurbain Wrote: ...asking to save project I don't use anyway.

With the today's release of 0.8.9, LDPE do not ask to save the project anymore (on close).

(2016-03-31, 16:12)Magnus Forsberg Wrote: Here's how I think it might be intended.
LPDE scans, at start up, two libraries. Official and Unofficial Part, including all subfiles and primitives.
The creation of a Project adds a third library, to scan at start up, containing all the new files you make in a correct library like structure. It made all the new subfiles I made easy to access. Just right click on the file you want to edit, an choose 'view in 3d/text editor'.

Yes, that is 100% how it is intended Smile

(2016-03-31, 16:12)Magnus Forsberg Wrote: LDPE can't find a correctly placed subfile in a folder (named 's' in windows explorer) unless you first create a project. It seems to need to know were to look for it.

This should be fixed since 0.8.8b...

(2016-03-31, 16:12)Magnus Forsberg Wrote: I still find the editing of a part-files subfile structure much easier in LDDP, using the move, or rotate, in x,y,z-direction-buttons. LDDP rotate everyting around world origin.

I created an issue for this feature request.
Additionally, I drafted another interesting idea, based on the project concept:

The PartReview Tool

This tool should get parts (and its certification status) directly from the parts tracker, only by entering a part number.
It should create a project with virtual files (no file is stored on a HDD/SSD).
It should download/create only the file with the part number and the sub-files.
It should open the main file in the 3D editor and all other files in one text editor instance.
It should open a custom 3D perspective for parts review (e.g. random colours, special cond.-line mode, BFC+Textures, no BFC...).
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »