[SR 3D Builder] Install request

[SR 3D Builder] Install request
I'm a computer control freak and as such I hate install programs. I'd much prefer to have a zip file to unzip wherever I want. I realize that most users like install programs but I'd like to request a zip distro of SR 3D Builder.

I'd also like to request the unbundling of the Conns folder with the rest of the parts library. I keep my parts distro up to date myself and, frankly, the installer you use to add the parts library is extremely slow. I'd rather not have to sit through the entire install every time I want to update the program.
Re: [SR 3D Builder] Install request
Hi,
before to flame the installer, please proper configure your operating system.

If you are using Windows 7 or Vista, "disable desktop composition" from ControlPanel.SystemProperties.PerformanceOptions.VisualEffects. Also disable Aero Interface!
You will gain a 10 to 30% better system performance especially for screen intensive applications !

Sergio
...even on good old XP, library installation takes a while...
I understand that these things will improve performance but don't you think asking users to reconfigure theirs home just to install a parts library is a bit too much? Additionally, like I said, I already have the library installed. All I really need is the Conns folder. If I were you, I'd offer 2 packages. One with the full library and one with just the Conns folder.
What I suggest is a way to speedup the whole PC, not just my application since the whole PC suffers and takes advantages of new settings. You can experiment it with whatever not full screen game or graphic intensive application (a word or text edit screen scroll will prove this)... but fill free to fire your PC resources... :-)

To solve my application issue, you can always minimize the window scrolling and extracting files (not closing it). This boost process since no desktop refresh are requested.

I feel a bit of polemic in this discussion... or it is only my sensation?

Sergio
No dispute here. I think it is just a language thing. Smile

All I'm really asking for is a separate .zip file of the Conn folder. The installer is fine for users who want it but, for me, all I want/need is the new connection data. If this is a question of data transfer costs, I'd be happy to host this file on my own webspace.
No,
the problem, if so we want to call it, is that I have to manage it as a separate update.

But you can use the following trick: since the part library installer is a self-extracting .rar archive, you can open it with whatever compressed file manager and extract only the folder you need. This will speedup operations...

Sergio
That works too. Thanks for the info.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »