Description Length still constrained to 64 characters?

Description Length still constrained to 64 characters?
I noticed about a half dozen parts with longer descriptions in an 'unofficial' download from September, but no comments regarding that as an issue in the parts tracker.
4521127.dat
s/32167s01.dat
Is there still a constraint on the description length as per the header spec?
Just wondering if the code I'm working for my Java project should prevent this.
I came across it while running a test across all dat files I had.
- Greg
"The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked"
Re: Description Length still constrained to 64 characters?
The 64-character limit is still in effect. The part review process will occasionally allow parts to slip through that don't conform to the official specs. All efforts are made to prevent this (including the parts admin final review requirement), but it does occasionally happen. Hopefully the parts in question aren't yet certified (although even if they are, they can still be fixed before being released).
4521127.dat was never certified

32167s01.dat was certified by Philo back in '06

I thought the PT File Check tool would catch this kind of stuff?

I tried to download the parts and run then through the file check, but when I tried to upload them, it said:

Error
No file uploaded.

when I clearly did tell it to upload the file.

Is it just me or is this service out of order?
> I thought the PT
>
> File Check
tool would catch this kind of
> stuff?
Clearly it doesn't... I put a hold on both.

> Error
> No file uploaded.
>
> when I clearly did tell it to upload the file.
Did you checked "Replace existing file"?
Problem with PT "File Check" tool?
Philippe "Philo" Hurbain Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Did you checked "Replace existing file"?
I don't see how...

all I see is this:
[Image: x6oPj.png]
Re: Problem with PT "File Check" tool?
Sorry, I thought you tried to submit file to PT... The "stand alone" checking tool seems indeed broken (never used it, I rely on Datheader)
Yes, there is a step in the Parts Update packaging process that checks for this.
Chris (LDraw Parts Library Admin)
Thanks for the feedback, I'll leave it in as a warning for now. But thought of a couple questions as well.
I am wondering now that I see all but one of these are shortcuts for TLG numbers, that if the constraint excludes the color name, or should?
Also does the leading '~' or '_' count?
These are the 6 found in a fresh ldrawunf.zip from today (the last two are the files I posted last night)...

WARNING: Exception parsing description in D:\LDraw\LDRAWUNF\PARTS\4110083.dat: 0 _Slope Brick 45 10 x 2 x 2 Double w. Black/Yellow Stripes Patt. Light Grey
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: The description must not exceed 64 characters in length, have 76.
WARNING: Exception parsing description in D:\LDraw\LDRAWUNF\PARTS\4111802.dat: 0 _Electric Light & Sound Insectoid Tail Piece 4 x 20 x 3 Dark Gray
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: The description must not exceed 64 characters in length, have 67.
WARNING: Exception parsing description in D:\LDraw\LDRAWUNF\PARTS\4142925.dat: 0 _Tile 8 x 8 Round with 2 x 2 Center Studs & SW Grille Pattern LtGrey
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: The description must not exceed 64 characters in length, have 72.
WARNING: Exception parsing description in D:\LDraw\LDRAWUNF\PARTS\4220539.dat: 0 _Slope Brick 45 1 x 2 Double / Inverted without Centre Stud Black
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: The description must not exceed 64 characters in length, have 67.
WARNING: Exception parsing description in D:\LDraw\LDRAWUNF\PARTS\4521127.dat: 0 _Hinge Plate 1 x 2 Locking with Dual Finger on End Vertical Reddish Brown
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: The description must not exceed 64 characters in length, have 75.
WARNING: Exception parsing description in D:\LDraw\LDRAWUNF\PARTS\S\32167s01.dat: 0 ~Technic Gear Box Half with 4 Axle Stubs and 6 Pin Sockets (half)
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: The description must not exceed 64 characters in length, have 65.
- Greg
"The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked"
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »