p/48/4-4ering.dat

p/48/4-4ering.dat
Hi there,

Maybe this adresses mainly to Philo as he created the p/4-4ering primitive.

Would it be possible to get a Hi-Res 48 version of this primitive?

Thanks a lot.
Re: p/48/4-4ering.dat
Were, and why, would I want to use such a primitive?

The idea is to add triangles outside a 16-sided pattern placed inside a ring or cyli-prim, when turning on prim-substitution.
As far as I know, no primitive substitution is made, around a 48-sided pattern.
It could makes sense: in LDView even 48 primitives are substituted with higher level ones if you push curve quality high enough. But even on big parts such as 6177 8x8 round tile, the gap is very thin and barely noticeable, so I doubt it's worth the trouble...
I have a 48 sided pattern inside a 48 4-4ring.

In both Ldview and Povray render, I see gaps because the ring is substituded by an (almost) perfect one, with no segment.

As it exists for the 16 resolution, why wouldn't it exist for the 48 resolution?
I will post the part on the tracker soon. So you will see.
Part is here.
OK, I see the problem, would be solved indeed by a 48ering. Question is - is it really necessary to push the curve resolution so high?
I won't say it is necessary, but a 16 ring is not enough in my opinion if one doesn't use primitive substitution.
Thats why I used the 48 ring.

Why would it be a problem to create this 48 e-ering primitive?
I think you missed my point... it's not a problem to create, I just question usefulness. Agree a 16 ring is not enough here, but gaps appear only when you crank up primitive substitution ABOVE 48 sided polygons. In LDView this means setting the curve quality setting at the 5th notch, while normal setting is at 2nd notch. And many problems in parts do occur anyway above 2nd notch! And finally, the teeny gaps you can see in your sticker while staring at it full screen won't be visible when you see complete model.
I got your point.
Problem occure also in PovRay renders, whatever setting I use as long as primitive substitution is on.

I avoid as much as possible to create LGEO equivalent for Stickers. So in this case a 48 e-ering would have solved the problem, giving a nice render whatever software or rendering engine used.

It was only an idea to improve overall visual quality, in a way that coul be used in a lot of parts.
Otherwise, the only way to get a nice render without gaps would be to get a LGEO or other equivalent.

I know it could be useless for some persons, but it it is not for me as I am trying to make my renders as much nice looking as possible.
As you said, my ldview settings are also maxed out and I know the problem doesn't occurs bellow a certain point.

Decision us up to people around here...
I got your point too Wink
Attached the files for testing. But I am not so happy with the results... because of the way primitive substitution works, result is good only at notch 5 (48 sided primitives) and fully up. In between, the number of segments is not right (just as there was a problem with standard ering and odd primitive substitution level). Moreover, I also noticed glitches at the edge of the sticker, because cylc2 are NOT substituted in LDView.

Attached Files
.dat   1-48chrd.dat (Size: 574 bytes / Downloads: 0)
.dat   1-4ering.dat (Size: 1.26 KB / Downloads: 0)
Damien, did you got time to test it? Opinion?
Not yet, sorry. I'll tty as soon as possible.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »