Parsable Meta-Data for High-detail vs. Low-detail parts and primitives

Re: Parsable Meta-Data for High-detail vs. Low-detail parts and primitives
Chris Dee Wrote:My initial thoughts were to suggest XML rather than continuing to develop the LDraw style of keyword-value syntax, but I didn't think I would get much support here.

I think XML would be a great choice -- and I think using an off-the-shelf syntax is a good idea vs rolling our own.

My personal view is that the .ldr/.mpd/.dat file conventions make sense within the scope of actual "documents", be they LDraw models, MPD models, or parts/primitives.

But for the meta-data floating around the system, there's no need to shoe-horn it; the meta data is unlikely to be edited by an LDraw editor and if it is, the editor will have to have separate UI for it.

Chris, what are the next steps with this? Is an LOD spec under the auspices of a particular committee or someone's supervision? Are we reaching a point where someone needs to write a spec?

I'd be happy to do the leg-work of writing a draft spec if that is useful. (I'm also happy to shut the heck up and let someone else do it if that's more efficient.)

From a practical standpoint, LOD support is something I would like to integrate into Bricksmith relatively soon to further push the performance envelope.

Cheers
Ben
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Re: Parsable Meta-Data for High-detail vs. Low-detail parts and primitives - by Ben Supnik - 2013-08-22, 19:47