Parsable Meta-Data for High-detail vs. Low-detail parts and primitives

Re: Parsable Meta-Data for High-detail vs. Low-detail parts and primitives
Steffen Wrote:all that might be true,
but it for sure will not be achieved by us _modeling_ all these variants.
we have plenty enough to do modeling the real stuff.
all these simplifications you mentioned can be done programmatically by software if/when it wants.

Hi Steffen,

I am not sure what the best way to produce a draft-quality LOD part set would be, but whether it is automation, manual, or a mix (and I think a mix of the two is most likely) I think it still makes sense to store the _results_ of the LOD reduction in the part library and do the processing ahead of time, for a few reasons:

* If rendering programs have to compute the low LOD on the fly, then we get to write this code many times over (just as we have had to do with smooth shading - I think smooth shading has been coded maybe 4 times?). If we precompute the data, then if any one of us writes code to reduce LOD, we can all use it.

* Precomputing the LOD would let us use algorithms that are potentially higher quality but too slow to do on the fly in-app.

* Precomputing the LOD would let us use different techniques for different parts.

I think an 'alternate LOD' set will be a relatively small number of files per set - 50-100 files perhaps, not a complete clone of the library!

cheers
Ben
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Re: Parsable Meta-Data for High-detail vs. Low-detail parts and primitives - by Ben Supnik - 2013-08-18, 23:51